+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Wow, that really puts my reading of LoTR to shame. I've been trying to get through it for over a year now. I only just got to Frodo and Sam's perspective in 6th book (or second half of book 4, however you look at it) in the last month, but haven't picked it back up since they started marching with Sauron's army.

I'm not hating it. Enjoy a few things of it. Just a lot of unnecessary and unrelated detail. Weirder that it's my "style" of story telling (when I storytell), but it's much easier being the storyteller than the listener. I see that now. haha

I think the issue may be that I'm reading a digital book instead of paperback. Been thinking I need to buy paperback version of books from now on (and buy books I already have again). Digital books are very convenient, especially while traveling, but there's definitely something missing with not being able to hold an actual book in my hand. Probably why Dune is still my #1 book.
    Finally finished LoTR. I enjoyed it for the most part. But my statement still stands: lot of unnecessary and unrelated detail. I can see why it became so popular, just not sure it deserves its status as one of the greatest.

I also managed to read Starship Troopers. I liked it, but it also had some unnecessary and unrelated detail.

Not sure what to read next. Have lots in my reading list that I tend to randomly add to:
    They Called Us Enemy
    Star Wars: Bloodline
    Star Wars: Queen's Shadow
    Star Wars: Thrawn
    The Count of Monte Cristo
    Circle of Treason
    The Decline and Falls of the Roman Empire
    SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome

Percy Jackson series
    A Tale of Two Cities
    Norse Mythology
    (Gaiman)
    The Smartest Guys in the Room
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

And then a few others posted here have piqued my interest.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

The Last Mile- David Baldacci

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game

The Fallen - David Baldacci

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by olddawgfan View Post
    The Fallen - David Baldacci
    I have all 4 of those Amos Decker books now. To me, Baldacci took what Clancy and Grisham have done and bumped it a level.

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game

I have #5 and #6 in the bookcase - just not to them as yet. I also enjoyed the first two Aloysius Archer series titles.

Are there more Memory Man books? I thought only 4. Wow, I have a ways to go.

I also read book 1 of the Atlee Pine series. Pretty good as well.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Finally finished The Hiding Place. Pretty amazing story.

About half-way through The Light of Day by Eric Ambler. Fun so far.

Got some books for Christmas that I'm looking forward to. All biographies - Scott Drew, Bono, and one Joe Aillet (who y'all may have heard of).

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Read most of these on the website as they were released, but I ordered the book version from the library and it's fun. Some of y'all engineering nerds would enjoy these if you haven't already read them:
    https://xkcd.com/what-if/
    (Here they are online if want a sample: https://what-if.xkcd.com/archive/)

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Read most of these on the website as they were released, but I ordered the book version from the library and it's fun. Some of y'all engineering nerds would enjoy these if you haven't already read them:
    I have the first one, very fun.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    read most of them when they were released, but i didn't realize he added some last year.

half the fun is the hover text. does he do something to include those jokes in the print version?

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    read most of them when they were released, but i didn't realize he added some last year.

half the fun is the hover text. does he do something to include those jokes in the print version?
    There are footnotes and captions. I assume it's the same text, but I'd have to go check it against the website.

Middle kid really enjoyed this (looking forward to reading it myself):

Rereading Uncommon by Tony Dungy.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Just finished The Indispensables by Patrick O'Donnell. Very interesting (if a tad overly detailed) book about the Marblehead Regiment who did a lot of water work for George Washington. They were involved in the escape from New York and crossing the Delaware, for instance. As much as I've read about the Revolution, there were still some small things I'd never heard before. Good read.

+ Reply to Thread