+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    I'm currently almost halfway through volume one of David Eddings' "The Belgariad." The first volume has the first 3 books combined, and the second volume has the last 2 books in it.

Has anyone read any Orson Scott Card or Kurt Vonnegut that can comment on either one? I've read "Cat's Cradle," by Kurt Vonnegut and it was decent.
    I liked Ender's Game. But I never read any of the sequels. I want to say I read something else by him recently about Norse gods in hiding in modern times. Book One of an on-going series. It was not as good as Ender's Game, but not bad either.

Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 is probably worth the acclaim it generally gets. Wasn't blown away by the other stuff by him I've read (which may be just Cat's Cradle).

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I liked Ender's Game. But I never read any of the sequels. I want to say I read something else by him recently about Norse gods in hiding in modern times. Book One of an on-going series. It was not as good as Ender's Game, but not bad either.

Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 is probably worth the acclaim it generally gets. Wasn't blown away by the other stuff by him I've read (which may be just Cat's Cradle).
    speaking of norse gods hiding in modern times, i thought the long, dark tea-time of the soul was pretty good.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

now offering my musical sommelier services (recommending the best music to go along with the various book series selections on the menu):

lord of the rings -- led zeppelin
    the magicians -- jethro tull or raconteurs
    hunger games -- muse
    twilight -- sonny and cher or creed
    hitchhiker's guide -- queen
    narnia -- the beatles

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    yikes! i might have spoken too soon. the second book of the series is all love-triangle-twilight-y so far (about 1/4 of the way through). yuck. never trust a female author with a female protagonist. they will always trend toward romance no matter how hard they try to avoid it.
    I'm only a couple of chapters into Catching Fire and yeah, the ratio of "feelings" to "running through the woods shooting arrows at bad guys" is trending in the wrong direction so far.

And no llamas yet.

I'm tearing through a re-read (for the no telling how manyth time) of The Silver Chair. For my 5th or 6th favorite book in the series, it's very awesome.

Haven't made much progress in Three Cups of Tea. I'm about halfway through a book about Ranavalona. It's called Female Caligula:Ranavalona, the Mad Queen of Madagascar and thus far I think the title is pretty spot on. File this one under "absolute power corrupts absolutely." I'd never even heard of her (this was one of those deals where the book just kind of jumped off the library shelf at random).

I'm also near the end of Go Down Moses. I read this book years and years ago (early jr high maybe) and I think I'm liking it a lot more now. Homeboy can be a slog to read sometimes, but he's got skills.

I've got a Richard Foster book on Christian traditions on deck (Celebration of Discipline is great, so I'm looking forward to seeing what else that wacky Quaker has to say). And I think the sequel to The Magicians has arrived for me at the library.

I'm only a couple of chapters into Catching Fire and yeah, the ratio of "feelings" to "running through the woods shooting arrows at bad guys" is trending in the wrong direction so far.

And no llamas yet.

I'm tearing through a re-read (for the no telling how manyth time) of The Silver Chair. For my 5th or 6th favorite book in the series, it's very awesome.

Haven't made much progress in Three Cups of Tea. I'm about halfway through a book about Ranavalona. It's called Female Caligula:Ranavalona, the Mad Queen of Madagascar and thus far I think the title is pretty spot on. File this one under "absolute power corrupts absolutely." I'd never even heard of her (this was one of those deals where the book just kind of jumped off the library shelf at random).

I'm also near the end of Go Down Moses. I read this book years and years ago (early jr high maybe) and I think I'm liking it a lot more now. Homeboy can be a slog to read sometimes, but he's got skills.

I've got a Richard Foster book on Christian traditions on deck (Celebration of Discipline is great, so I'm looking forward to seeing what else that wacky Quaker has to say). And I think the sequel to The Magicians has arrived for me at the library.
    i was about to comment about how many books you've got going at once, until i thought about my own situation. just finished the last of the hunger games series and read the magicians, then i picked up not even wrong by peter woit (it's about string theory) of which i read roughly half about three years ago. after that, i plan to finish atlas shrugged, which i left off last year about 100 pages in. at some point i need to finish plato's republic, which i'm about halfway through.

Champ ddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond repute ddgravy's Avatar

Full Black by Brad Thor

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by websitefeedback View Post
    Is there any bookworms here? I recently went to a shot of reading, and am currently reading the "Sword of Shannara" trilogy hardcover (all 3 books in 1) by Terry Brooks. I'm hoping to end this easy reading before going to Minneapolis for a couple of weeks of work, where you can start in some other book series, and I'll be bored in the evenings.

By golly, I do believe I hear an echo echo echo... BOT!

Anyway, I'm still reading The Belgariad, by David Eddings. I'm halfway through what would be the third book at the moment. Reading has slowed down 'cause I've been ridiculously busy lately, which annoys me, 'cause I have a huge pile of books to chew through and I've been almost addicted to it lately, haha.

yikes! i might have spoken too soon. the second book of the series is all love-triangle-twilight-y so far (about 1/4 of the way through). yuck. never trust a female author with a female protagonist. they will always trend toward romance no matter how hard they try to avoid it.

Started poorly, but it got better.

Not a single dang llama, though. Killer monkeys? Yes. Llamas? No.

Why did the Spanish title of this book lie to me?

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Has anyone read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell?

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    Has anyone read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell?

It's good. If you liked his other stuff, you'll like it.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Angela's Ashes. It's very sad and funny at the same time. I'm only halfway through it, but I'm getting to his teenage years, and it's cracking me up.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

read the magicians

If you liked it, you'll like the sequel. If you didn't, you won't.

It's mostly more of the same. Julia's story. More Fillory. Almost no Brakebills.

If you liked it, you'll like the sequel. If you didn't, you won't.

It's mostly more of the same. Julia's story. More Fillory. Almost no Brakebills.
    i figured julia would get pulled back into it at some point. i think i'm next in line for it from the library.

i figured julia would get pulled back into it at some point. i think i'm next in line for it from the library.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/lev-g...-series,62942/

They're going to try to make it into a tv series.

+ Reply to Thread