+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tech Express to be accepted off-campus

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Tech Express to be accepted off-campus

Quote Originally Posted by Izurin View Post
    I also Lobbied for this to the SGA When I was a Freshman about 2 years ago.....To Me it just made alot of sense to have that option available in case of situations such as having to stay of a quarter break or being at Tech over the Summer Quarter.

When I proposed this to SGA I got alot of snickering and also Some Name-calling... Then I went and discussed it with some of the managers at the businesses on California such as Subway, Sonic, Churchs, and Taco Bell. Churchs agreed with me and they began offering a student special as a substitute.

Now I hope my next dream will come to pass... an LAtech Form of transportation to the Strip Mall area in Ruston and also to the Walmart. (ie: Shuttle Bus). SGA has already flipped me the bird on this one. Considering how Horrible parking is on Campus and how much worse I predict it to become with the incoming boom of new students...I think this would help with it somewhat..idk Just saying.
    There are a couple of lessons to be learned from this.

1. Don't wait or depend on a government to do something for you. If you have a good idea that will benefit your fellow man, make it happen yourself instead of going through government officials.

2. From my experiences with SGA, the only times that the SGA will really get behind an idea is if the Tech administration creates and pushes the idea or if the idea is a pet project of the SGA President. If Dr. Reneau really wants something done that requires action (i.e. money) from the students, the SGA will be the biggest supporter of the project.

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    Yes. Tech Express has been optional for I believe two years now. It is not required for any student to get an account, but it is highly recommended. Students for the most part I have seen do not care for it, there is very little to almost no positives of having a Tech Express account. Parent's are the ones that seem to care, also they are the ones the accounts need to be marketed to heavily if they want this to succeed. I'm pretty sure Parent's are taught about the positives for them when they go through Parent Orientation (basically the money they put in can't be spent on Alcohol, Tobacco, or Tattoos.)
    I don't know if I agree with this (bolded part). My son starts his third year this September and there is always a $100 Tech Express fee on his class fee schedule (every quarter). We have always added money to his account but have never been told that it is optional. Yes, the money does carry over until you are no longer a student (you get back what you don't spend when you leave school). And yes, the declining balance does not carry over (at least over the summer sessions into the fall).
    Last edited by LABulldog; 08-20-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: additional info

Bulldog NB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her game

Tech Express is completely optional. They can't force you to get it or declining balance. Just have him tell the ladies at the Comptroller's office (Cashier Window) that he doesn't want it.

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by NB View Post
    Tech Express is completely optional. They can't force you to get it or declining balance. Just have him tell the ladies at the Comptroller's office (Cashier Window) that he doesn't want it.
    Ok, thanks for the info. Was not aware of that. No one ever mentioned it. Not that it matters. Like I said, we've always added to it. He uses it for his books and other classroom incidentals and for his food. When staying at the University Park, we were required a meal plan which included a Tech Express Fee and a Declining Balance Fee. I always made sure to tell him to use the Declining Balance Fee first since it wouldn't normally carry over. So far, have not had a problem. With the Express card being accepted off campus I've got a bad feeling he won't be carrying anything over from quarter to quarter , !

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Most kids don't turn 21 until some point during their junior year so 18-19-20-year-olds can't purchase beer on their credit or debit cards. Also, if the bank statements are sent to their home, you can see every purchase that they make. Anyway, there's not much a parent can do to prevent their child from getting alcohol in college.
    Beer was simply an example which is why I put it in quotation marks. First thing that popped in my head. There are many other frivolous purchases a student can make that won't meet the approval of the parent.

Champ odysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    Ok, thanks for the info. Was not aware of that. No one ever mentioned it. Not that it matters. Like I said, we've always added to it. He uses it for his books and other classroom incidentals and for his food. When staying at the University Park, we were required a meal plan which included a Tech Express Fee and a Declining Balance Fee. I always made sure to tell him to use the Declining Balance Fee first since it wouldn't normally carry over. So far, have not had a problem. With the Express card being accepted off campus I've got a bad feeling he won't be carrying anything over from quarter to quarter , !
    Most of mine went to coke machines. My dentist and my scale hate me now :bigcry:

Champ odysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by NB View Post
    I always kept some cash on mine even after it wasn't mandatory anymore. It was just too convenient for washing clothes and the aforementioned drink machines.

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

I think since I was living off campus apartment, I put all my money into Tech Express instead of bothering with a meal plan

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rebelboi View Post
    I think since I was living off campus apartment, I put all my money into Tech Express instead of bothering with a meal plan
    This.

Just want to add that yes, Tech Express is optional, but having an ID card is not (technically). I think that may be where some of the confusion came from.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

From Tech's Facebook page:

Merchants currently accepting Tech Express in Ruston:

Applebees
    Beehive
    Best Price Textbooks
    China Wok
    Cool Beans Cafe
    Counter Culture
    Dominos
    Eskamoes Frozen Custard n More
    Fine Line Art Supply n Print Lab
    Hot Rod Bar-B-Q
    Log Cabin
    Mitchells Compounding Pharmacy
    Official
    Papa Joes Place
    Papa Johns
    Pizza Inn
    Ponchatoulas
    Portico
    Raw Restaurant
    Smoothie King
    Subway (California Ave. and Tech Dr.)
    The Black Box
    Tri Textbooks
    Turbo Goat
    Twisted Cow Frozen Yogurt
    Wingstop
    WOW Cafe and Wingery

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

I must be living under a rock. What/where is Cool Beans Cafe?

+ Reply to Thread