+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drama in MLB

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Re: Drama in MLB

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I wrote my Cardinals off as dead several times this season.

That was the best night for baseball drama I can ever remember. Flipped back and forth between several channels. ESPN was like Election Night Central, waiting for the final boxes of returns to report in.
    Good analogy. That's exactly what is was like. Don't remember ever seeing anything like it. So many teams coming down to their final outs and avoiding elimination and making the playoffs. Crazy.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Sportdawg, as a Braves fans, how do you feel about Jones coming back for another year?
    I don't follow as much as I did when I was younger (no more Braves on TBS).
    Luckily I've been a Rangers fan too.
    But if Chipper is healthy then fine. His numbers have fallen off. He will be 40 when the season starts, but he has earned the right to stay.

I will Dale Murphy had stayed with the Braves (even though his leaving helped launch the Braves of the 90s) & I wish he had 2 more homers.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Or a Cubs fan....
    The Cubs let me down against the Cards. A walk-off wild pitch!!! Come on man. The Cards finish with the CUBS & ASTROS!!! The braves finish with the Phillies. The Braves did it to themselves. There were several blown leads/saves by the Braves. Sept 9 against the Cards, the Braves allow 2 in bottom of the 9th to lose. Win that one and last night doesn't happen (theoretically).

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    I don't follow as much as I did when I was younger (no more Braves on TBS).
    Luckily I've been a Rangers fan too.
    But if Chipper is healthy then fine. His numbers have fallen off. He will be 40 when the season starts, but he has earned the right to stay.

I will Dale Murphy had stayed with the Braves (even though his leaving helped launch the Braves of the 90s) & I wish he had 2 more homers.
    So when I was a kid we moved to Tampa and that was well before the Rays were even a glimmer in MLB's eyes. Since they had no team I started watching the Braves because of TBS. I became a huge Dale Murphy fan. I still have all of his baseball cards from Rookie year till he left the Braves. People just remember the back to back MVP's but check out those 84 and 85 seasons. He was a monster in 87. He didn't really have a good lineup to protect him either. Bob Horner?? That guy struck out half the time. Murphy is still under-rated as far as I am concerned.

Dale Murpy's 162 game average:
    30 HR, 94 RBI, 89 Runs, 26 doubles, 12 SB, 3 triples
    His career batting avg hurts him. Most of the players below where above .300 career.

His numbers are right there with Hall of Famers from that era:
    Paul Molitor: 14 HR, 79 RBI, 108 Runs, 37 Doubles, 30 SB, 7 triples
    Eddie Murray: 27 HR, 103 RBI, 87 Runs, 30 doubles, 6 SB, 2 triples
    George Brett; Andre Dawson; Wade Boggs; Kirby Puckett; Cal Ripken, Jr.; Ryan Sandberg; Mike Schmidt; Ozzie Smith; Robin Yount; Dave Winnfield

I'm not saying Murph was better than any of these players, he just compared favorably with them.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I wrote my Cardinals off as dead several times this season.

That was the best night for baseball drama I can ever remember. Flipped back and forth between several channels. ESPN was like Election Night Central, waiting for the final boxes of returns to report in.
    Great analogy.

It was an amazing night for this baseball fan even though I didn't care who won. However, I always want the Red Sox and Yankees to lose. The Rays are a small market team and I always pull for the small market team once the Astros are eliminated. I'm thinking of becoming a bandwagon Brewers fan with the survivor of the Rangers-Rays series as my second choice.

I know you are happy for your Cardinals.

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Dale Murpy's 162 game average:
    30 HR, 94 RBI, 89 Runs, 26 doubles, 12 SB, 3 triples
    His career batting avg hurts him. Most of the players below where above .300 career.

His numbers are right there with Hall of Famers from that era:
    Paul Molitor: 14 HR, 79 RBI, 108 Runs, 37 Doubles, 30 SB, 7 triples
    Eddie Murray: 27 HR, 103 RBI, 87 Runs, 30 doubles, 6 SB, 2 triples
    George Brett; Andre Dawson; Wade Boggs; Kirby Puckett; Cal Ripken, Jr.; Ryan Sandberg; Mike Schmidt; Ozzie Smith; Robin Yount; Dave Winnfield

I'm not saying Murph was better than any of these players, he just compared favorably with them.
    And that's just looking at his work at the plate. He was also an excellent fielder winning several Gold Gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    And that's just looking at his work at the plate. He was also an excellent fielder winning several Gold Gloves.
    5 gold gloves, 7 all-star games & 2 MVPs.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Great story! Has anyone ever contacted the Braves about what a faithful fan Sister is?

Sportdawg, as a Braves fans, how do you feel about Jones coming back for another year?
    I can address the Jones' question:

Sister says he needs to retire. Is taking the roster spot of a young player who would be better.

I do not argue with Sister when it comes to the Braves.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I can address the Jones' question:

Sister says he needs to retire. Is taking the roster spot of a young player who would be better.

I do not argue with Sister when it comes to the Braves.

Yep, I always thought Chipper wouldnt stay too long, and if he could stay healthy, he is still a good hittern. However, his legs are giving out and he looks tired at the end of seasons. He is a first ballot HOF'er, but it might be time to hand up the cleats.

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    Yep, I always thought Chipper wouldnt stay too long, and if he could stay healthy, he is still a good hittern. However, his legs are giving out and he looks tired at the end of seasons. He is a first ballot HOF'er, but it might be time to hand up the cleats.
    Do you think he could still be very productive at the plate if he was just a DH in the AL? Less wear and tear throughout the year might keep him more productive at the plate for a couple more seasons.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

And so my Rays meet the Rangers. We've already pulled off the impossible. All we have to do now is the really, really hard part.

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    And so my Rays meet the Rangers. We've already pulled off the impossible. All we have to do now is the really, really hard part.
    New year, Same result!

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Are any of you going to any of the games?

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe my Cardinals got in. Gotta give Larussa credit even though he insists on filling up his pitching roster with worn out retreads. His bullpens consistently rank near the top in blown saves.

+ Reply to Thread