+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radiant Barrier OSB Roof Decking

Big Dog Pitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the rough Pitcherjlt's Avatar

Radiant Barrier OSB Roof Decking

We are in the beginning stages (framing) of our new house and I am curious as to whether any of you have experience using radiant barrier osb as your roof decking or if anyone has used the sheet style radiant barrier and stapled it to the rafters?

It seems as though there are varying opinions on both so I am seeking some "real world" experience from people who have used it. I had a guy tell me last night to not use the osb but I don't know if he is just saying that since he helps rep the sheathing.

Thanks!

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Radiant Barrier OSB Roof Decking

Our house is two years old and it was built with "Tech Shield". I don't know what osb stands for, but I know that the radiant barrier that was put up works wonderful. Our electricity bill is about half of what our old house was! The decking we have has the aluminum barrier already on the attic side of the house. You can go up in the attic in the hot summer, and the attic is relatively cool.

We also had ridge vents installed, which helps circulation in the attic.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Oriented strand board. You didn't mention the sheet thickness or space between the rafters or whether they're using clips between the sheets but the radiant barrier gets a thumbs up.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

One year I had planned on putting in sheet style radiant barrier on the rafters as my winter project . . . until I saw how much the stuff cost! $500 for a pretty small roll.

+ Reply to Thread