+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile, Back In Monroe...

Varsity Bulldog ProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the ears

Re: Meanwhile, Back In Monroe...

That entire project is nothing but a complete waste of taxpayer dollars. Absolutely nothing wrong with the old terminal.

Big Dog westdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by ProfStudent158 View Post
    That entire project is nothing but a complete waste of taxpayer dollars. Absolutely nothing wrong with the old terminal.
    There is plenty wrong with the old terminal. We can start with the fact the the entire building is a fire hazard.

FWIW, I could care less about Mayo. I was just stating a fact that he had absolutely nothing to do with the project between 8/1/09 to 10/1/11.

Champ Goose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to behold Goose's Avatar

When was the last time you were in the old terminal?

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by westdawg View Post
    There is plenty wrong with the old terminal. We can start with the fact the the entire building is a fire hazard.

FWIW, I could care less about Mayo. I was just stating a fact that he had absolutely nothing to do with the project between 8/1/09 to 10/1/11.
    If it was a fire hazard then the Fire Marshal would have shut it down or a minimum, forced the city to fix the problems immediately. I have a relative that works for the State Fire Marshal's office and they don't put up with any problems that can endanger the safety of the public.

I'm extremely curious on how you know that he had absolutely nothing to do with the project. If this statement is true (and not trying to argue here or upset you) his administration sure had contacts on this project through that time period. And by being Mayor of the city where the project was done, then he did have something to do with it. There were newspaper articles about the project where he was quoted. He was definitely involved, maybe not in the design and construction but he was involved. Look at all the photo ops of him meeting passengers when it opened last week. There is no way you can make me believe that he wasn't involved in any part of it. Sorry!

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

I think the new terminal is nice, they just rushed the opening. There is a temporary wall in the corridor going to the new baggage claim. There's no landscaping done yet, and all around you can just tell it's not completed. It think it MAY have something to do with election season.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by westdawg View Post

I fly out of MLU (and SHV) on average about 2 to 3 times a month. MLU's old terminal was a JOKE...and it really could NOT have been renovated. It was built I think during either the Eisenhower or Kennedy administrations when security was so lax, you could basically walk right out to the plane, ticketed passenger or not. MLU was NOT designed for a post-911 world and needed to be retired. I'm glad that it has been.

The NEW MLU terminal is very nice and COULD be a GREAT first impression if you had competent management there. Even if you get in a hurry to open something (which MLU was actually LATE opening...it was supposed to be open in the Spring, as i recall) you can still do a little bit of damage control, by NOT pointing people to a non-existent baggage claim area (just cover up the stupid sign!), and have Airport personnel assisting people with finding the REAL baggage claim instead of leaning on luggage carts, sitting on top of the counters and gee-hawwing amongst each other about what they did with whom last night.

While we're on the topic of Airports...good Lord, SHV needs a facelift.

Big Dog westdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the rough

I was stating the fact that the mayor had nothing to do with the bridge and striping debacle. I know this as FACT. He did not spec them, he did not review the submittals, he did not design the striping layout, he did not layout the striping, he did not stripe it, he had nothing to do with this part. Nor did anyone from the city.

I don't live in Monroe, and I don't care much for the city, nor its politics after working here for 2 1/2 years.

I have dealt with the city fire marshal as well. And trust me, a lot of stuff gets by this guy. The state does not do the inspections for the city buildings. The city fire marshal does, at least in this case. If you only saw the wiring behind secure areas of the old terminal, you would understand more about the things I am talking about.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    While we're on the topic of Airports...good Lord, SHV needs a facelift.
    And cheaper flights to the Big Easy! And on time flight everywhere.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

As someone who flies in and out of Monroe all the time, I must respectfully disagree. I have no problem with this allocation of taxpayer money.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    As someone who flies in and out of Monroe all the time, I must respectfully disagree. I have no problem with this allocation of taxpayer money.
    What do you think will help the most with brining in new business? The new airport terminal or the knee high grass along Kansas Lane and back toward the mall? How 'bout that crater you have to drive off into on Kansas Lane before getting back to the mall? Mayo is corrupt AND clueless.

Varsity Bulldog ProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    When was the last time you were in the old terminal?
    Flew into Monroe on 9/6 and out on 9/11 of this year. I fly through there 4 to 5 times per year. I didn't say it was nice. I can't tell that there's anything wrong with the facility other than aesthetics. I'm sure someone will elaborate on how bad of shape it was/is actually in to refute my point, but I see nothing wrong with it.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    What do you think will help the most with brining in new business? The new airport terminal or the knee high grass along Kansas Lane and back toward the mall? How 'bout that crater you have to drive off into on Kansas Lane before getting back to the mall? Mayo is corrupt AND clueless.
    Well personally I would have to say the litter all along the highway. Since it sits on the top of the tall grass, your eye is drawn to it first, distracting you, causing the crater to be unavoidable. Cause and effect, my friend. But I have a kindling for litter and sewage, so maybe that's just me.

I can say, my company flew in two of our international management team this week. I was much less embarrassed by the new terminal than I would have been by the old one.

My question is, are more people actually going to fly into/out of Monroe just because we have a new airport terminal? Are people in northeast Louisiana really driving 1.5-2 hours to Shreveport or 1.5-2 hours to Jackson, both of which won't get you to too many additional destinations any quicker or for less money, to fly instead of flying out of Monroe? I doubt it.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

My question is, are more people actually going to fly into/out of Monroe just because we have a new airport terminal? Are people in northeast Louisiana really driving 1.5-2 hours to Shreveport or 1.5-2 hours to Jackson, both of which won't get you to too many additional destinations any quicker or for less money, to fly instead of flying out of Monroe? I doubt it.

I don't fly often, but the last couple of times I checked prices there wasn't enough savings for me to drive to Jackson or S'Port.

Got to be a really big savings to drive to Dallas, but I've done it before.

+ Reply to Thread