+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Study to explore merger of Tech & LSUS

Varsity Bulldog Festus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really nice

Study to explore merger of Tech & LSUS

Locally sponsored feasibility study. LSU system is not on board and says Tech should look in to merging with ULM or Grambling.

[Edit: Mods, please move to pawlitics, my bad!]

http://www.nola.com/education/index....ing_louis.html

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Re: Study to explore merger of Tech & LSUS

"But any proposed merger would face strong resistance from the LSU System, where President John Lombardi has advised campus leaders in Shreveport not to participate in the study. An Oct. 12 email from Lombardi to Eva Klein, the consultant who is leading the study, said LSU "has expressed no interest in this merger at this time, nor has such been explored through the appropriate legal and organizational structure."

The email, obtained through a public records act request, said Louisiana Tech would be better off trying to merge with nearby schools such as Grambling or the University of Louisiana-Monroe."

Screw Lombardi. How does tech merging with ULM or Grambling help Shreveport? That is why the area commissioned the study. What an idiot.

Varsity Bulldog Festus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Screw Lombardi. How does tech merging with ULM or Grambling help Shreveport? That is why the area commissioned the study. What an idiot.
    It doesn't. I doubt helping out the port city is very high on his priority list since wins in BR are what will benefit him politically...

Big Dog olddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rough

I concur with Lombardi, except if we are going to do it - just combine all four and have one University in North Louisiana. No more media splits, one pot of money, and then begin the process of consolidating the 4 alumni bases into one. Businesses are then asked to support one - not four.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the President of Tech and lsu indicated otherwise early in the summer. I think that there may be a larger plan in action and they just don't want this to muddy the waters right now.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Something is fishy about this article.

I tend to agree with Champ110, in that the LSU system is trying to dismiss this study entirely. LSU isn't interested in merging LSUS or any other school. They just want Tech in their system, with the possibility of management of the LSU-S territory. But by no way merging.

Big Dog metrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her game metrydawg's Avatar

images (2).jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by LATechBanjo View Post
    Something is fishy about this article.

I tend to agree with Champ110, in that the LSU system is trying to dismiss this study entirely. LSU isn't interested in merging LSUS or any other school. They just want Tech in their system, with the possibility of management of the LSU-S territory. But by no way merging.
    I hope not.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by metrydawg View Post
    Attachment 7779I hope not.
    Merging, in its truest sense, is a pretty serious proposition.

My interpretation from the whole "Tech to LSU system" deal was that we would maintain our own independence, and have control over LSU-S, possibly with a name change involved for LSU-S. That, along with more monetary support than ULS can provide, would make the deal sweet enough for us to jump.

I'll just let you know, I'm not an insider or anything. Just my view of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Well, the President of Tech and lsu indicated otherwise early in the summer. I think that there may be a larger plan in action and they just don't want this to muddy the waters right now.
    I think that this^ is a very likely scenario. The Shreveport community organizations are likely in the loop in some way but may not know all the details. Hopefully this all shakes out to Tech's advantage, and the study acts as a great reference for those on Tech side of the bargaining table.

Varsity Bulldog slappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the rough

Could also just be panic that LSU wants to control any such study when it happens so they can paint it in a light most favorable to the flagship. Also, IMO, there is no way of a merger without Tech switching systems. So, they may insist on that happening first before they even consider potential management changes first. IMO.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

And some people thought we had a chance of taking over the Med School.... HA!

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

I think everyone said "merger" was a long shot, but Tech to LSU System has been actively discussed. I know I would love to see Tech Shreveport, and Tech HSC in Shreveport especially with our Biomed and Nanotech.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Lombardi is a political president more than anything. His concerns are job security, maintaining(not expanding) lsush, and education dead last...

One would think that you would rather be part of a Tier 1 Nationally ranked university rather than a campus that hasn't changed since the 70s.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Having LSUS under our banner would be a coup in every sense. It would basically give us the right to call Shreveport, Tech territory and bump us closer to 20k in student population.

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

#1 If this "merger" didn't have Lombardi's blessing, it wouldn't have been brought up in the first place.

#2 The Louisiana legislature is happy for the merger because funding reductions are going to continue to come to Higher Education in the state with 14 public 4 year programs (20 total in the state), all of which are "Holy Cows" and are difficult to reduce without a whole lot of screaming. LSU System will always be funded, and Tech will also because of their inclusion in the system. Reductions are going to go to the UL System overall, with the UL Board (not the Leges) taking the heat as to where/how the money actually is dispersed.

#3 The study referenced here is being challenged so as to prohibit any more invitations to the actual merger negotiation.

OF COURSE ALL THIS IS SPECULATION ON MY PART!!!!!! But given the political climate for money and "lack of finger prints" on cuts, makes sense to me.

+ Reply to Thread