+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Study to explore merger of Tech & LSUS

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Re: Study to explore merger of Tech & LSUS

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    And some people thought we had a chance of taking over the Med School.... HA!

Some still do, but that was never going to happen. Medical schools by their very definition are higher on the educational pyramid than undergrad schools. Medical school is where you go after you have finished 4 or 5 years at a lower level institution.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DQDawg View Post
    #1 If this "merger" didn't have Lombardi's blessing, it wouldn't have been brought up in the first place.

#2 The Louisiana legislature is happy for the merger because funding reductions are going to continue to come to Higher Education in the state with 14 public 4 year programs (20 total in the state), all of which are "Holy Cows" and are difficult to reduce without a whole lot of screaming. LSU System will always be funded, and Tech will also because of their inclusion in the system. Reductions are going to go to the UL System overall, with the UL Board (not the Leges) taking the heat as to where/how the money actually is dispersed.

#3 The study referenced here is being challenged so as to prohibit any more invitations to the actual merger negotiation.

OF COURSE ALL THIS IS SPECULATION ON MY PART!!!!!! But given the political climate for money and "lack of finger prints" on cuts, makes sense to me.
    Good hypothesis. You may be exactly right.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    Lombardi is a political president more than anything. His concerns are job security, maintaining(not expanding) lsush, and education dead last...

One would think that you would rather be part of a Tier 1 Nationally ranked university rather than a campus that hasn't changed since the 70s.
    Quote Originally Posted by DQDawg View Post
    #1 If this "merger" didn't have Lombardi's blessing, it wouldn't have been brought up in the first place.

#2 The Louisiana legislature is happy for the merger because funding reductions are going to continue to come to Higher Education in the state with 14 public 4 year programs (20 total in the state), all of which are "Holy Cows" and are difficult to reduce without a whole lot of screaming. LSU System will always be funded, and Tech will also because of their inclusion in the system. Reductions are going to go to the UL System overall, with the UL Board (not the Leges) taking the heat as to where/how the money actually is dispersed.

#3 The study referenced here is being challenged so as to prohibit any more invitations to the actual merger negotiation.

OF COURSE ALL THIS IS SPECULATION ON MY PART!!!!!! But given the political climate for money and "lack of finger prints" on cuts, makes sense to me.
    FWIW, I agree with both of the above.

Varsity Bulldog DustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to all

I agree that the LSU "system" will always be funded, but that fact, by itself, would guarantee nothing for Tech if we were in the system. Case-in-point from the universities here in Texas that decided to join the A&M system... They were correct in their understanding that A&M will always recieve a lion's share of funding from the legislature, but what they did not foresee was the flagship campus taking the lion's share of the increased legislative funding from the additional students in the system and funneling it to College Station. The remaining schools in the "system" are left to scap for whatever is leftover. Moreover, they gave up their unique identities and their abilities to plan and develop their own plans and futures. This, in turn, has frustrated, and even infuriated, significant portions of the alumni bases for these respective schools. An example of this is the former Texas A&I. Their identitiy was completely swollowed by A&M as they became Texas A&M-Kingsville. "Texas A&I 'Till I Die!" remains the call from many disgruntled alumni. Now, I realize that Tech may not be at risk of losing our name if we were to join the LSU system, but I am not quick to automatically believe that Tech's best interests will be protected, served, and developed by those who control the system. Just my .02

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDog View Post
    I agree that the LSU "system" will always be funded, but that fact, by itself, would guarantee nothing for Tech if we were in the system. Case-in-point from the universities here in Texas that decided to join the A&M system... They were correct in their understanding that A&M will always recieve a lion's share of funding from the legislature, but what they did not foresee was the flagship campus taking the lion's share of the increased legislative funding from the additional students in the system and funneling it to College Station. The remaining schools in the "system" are left to scap for whatever is leftover. Moreover, they gave up their unique identities and their abilities to plan and develop their own plans and futures. This, in turn, has frustrated, and even infuriated, significant portions of the alumni bases for these respective schools. An example of this is the former Texas A&I. Their identitiy was completely swollowed by A&M as they became Texas A&M-Kingsville. "Texas A&I 'Till I Die!" remains the call from many disgruntled alumni. Now, I realize that Tech may not be at risk of losing our name if we were to join the LSU system, but I am not quick to automatically believe that Tech's best interests will be protected, served, and developed by those who control the system. Just my .02
    You make a good point and I was on the fence about this whole thing - still not completely convinced. However, right now, we are carrying the UL system. The lsu system gives us a better shot. Plus, D.R. has already stated that any formal agreement will keep our name, our mascot, and our programs in place. They won't be able to touch that. My biggest fear is them preventing us from spending where we need it (see UAB and Alabama), but they really could do that now with legislative action, if they chose. lsu is going to get the lions share anyway, I just hope that we come out better in the lsu SYSTEM than we do in the UL system.

I don't trust lsu for a second, though, so the lawyers are going to have to draw this up VERY carefully!

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

LSU's the most crooked sumbitches in Louisiana, so I don't trust that at all. Don't do it, Tech! I'm glad to be out from under the shadow of that organization in Baton Rouge!

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDog View Post
    but I am not quick to automatically believe that Tech's best interests will be protected, served, and developed by those who control the system. Just my .02

That is my biggest concern as well.

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

Dusty & 110 & Ktulu, I agree there's a downside & with above thoughts, and I agree with careful scrutiny of LSU's intentions and the actual agreement. But, you know what, I think there are some "heavy" Tech supporters that I trust to always do the "best" for Tech that support this move. That gives me cause to think that this will "work" even though I'm sure we'll hit some obstacles and sour spots. Just have to be managed.

Varsity Bulldog jharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the rough

Get to packing dawg fans! Our Lady of the Mist is heading west! I told you!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jharris View Post
    Get to packing dawg fans! Our Lady of the Mist is heading west! I told you!
    When/where did you tell us? Do you mean this post on the thead you started?
    As we observe the latest round of conference alignment shuffle, it really illustrates the value of the market a school occupies. And unfortunately Tech occupies as bad a market as any FBS school, and one that only offers nominal support.

Do you think Tech would be better off if the entire institution was moved to Shreveport? (I do, though of course, I'm only dreaming.) Say, Tech could absorb the functions of LSU-S and SU-S, occupy and expand their campuses as needed, absorb LSUMC-S, and play its sports in existing facilities like Independence Stadium. I can't help but think Tech would be better off academically and athletically and Shreveport would benefit, too.

In Louisiana, four cities (New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Ruston, Shreveport) have two public universities, a ridiculous situation born of the state's past discriminatory practices. I've often imagined the state would be so much better off if Tech could move to Shreveport and Southern could move to New Orleans, absorbing UNO and SUNO. I realize, though, that it's difficult to imagine a political situation that would make such changes possible.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Merge hell, we want to take it over! You can also put the juco under our wing too as they appear to be sinking. Now Lombardi is a problem and DR's good friend, the chancellor at lsusless, needs to put a muzzle on him and give some reassurances before we make a move in the direction of that system. I also don't trust ull crowd almost as much as the lsusless bunch. We have been continually short changed in the ul system. We need to move very carefully in this venture and must be able to maintain our ability to maneuver as needed for the future.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    Merge hell, we want to take it over! You can also put the juco under our wing too as they appear to be sinking. Now Lombardi is a problem and DR's good friend, the chancellor at lsusless, needs to put a muzzle on him and give some reassurances before we make a move in the direction of that system. I also don't trust ull crowd almost as much as the lsusless bunch. We have been continually short changed in the ul system. We need to move very carefully in this venture and must be able to maintain our ability to maneuver as needed for the future.
    Exactly........ You put the safe guards in place and we will be fine. The ul system has screwed us, so this is worth it - IF we protect ourselves.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

I think this is good news.

It appears the Shreveport-Bossier Committee of 100 supports the idea of a merger. I thought they would be the biggest opposition.

It does not surprise me that Lombardi does not like the idea. Recently he opposed the Flagship Coalition plan to boost LSU-BR. Anyways, I think Chancellor Martin has a bigger voice than Lombardi.

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

LSU said Tech was the only other public university in the state with the same mission... I thought they were going to reward us for our performance but maybe they just want to bring us back down??? Only in a state like Louisiana would something like this happen.

A strong Tech in the north and LSU in south just makes so much sense and would help a state that could really use some help.

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

At the September Alumni Association Board meeting, DR stated that study after study had already been done and he could do a study in 48 hrs. LA Tech going into the LSU system will occur on our terms and to the benefit of both schools or it won't happen at all. Between now and the legislative session next year I believe his focus is on "if" we do it. "If" is worked out, it will happen rather quickly or it won't happen at all. Isn't about time for Lombardi to move to some other school. I think he has served at Florida and in Mass. Ohio St. could use some help........

+ Reply to Thread