+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone out there use the double edge safety razor shaving method?

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Re: Anyone out there use the double edge safety razor shaving method?

Oh, and you think this hobby is expensive? Wait until you get addicted. Then wait until you discover fountain pens. That is much worse. I could buy a car with my fountain pen collection.

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

Pay the extra money for a badger hair brush. I use a merkur double blade and gillette blades. Don't use the drugstore brand double edge blades because you'll cut yourself badly. The only issue I have is right under my nostrils. Don't use any pressure at all. Just use the weight of the razor and you should be good. If you have time, give yourself a couple of rounds of lathering and shaving and you should be good. Totally worth the money you save not buying the latest and greatest cartridges.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by solo1001 View Post
    Pay the extra money for a badger hair brush. I use a merkur double blade and gillette blades. Don't use the drugstore brand double edge blades because you'll cut yourself badly. The only issue I have is right under my nostrils. Don't use any pressure at all. Just use the weight of the razor and you should be good. If you have time, give yourself a couple of rounds of lathering and shaving and you should be good. Totally worth the money you save not buying the latest and greatest cartridges.

Yeah, I am thinking of buying one of the "starter" kits that comes with a good razor, badger hair brush, stand, cream, and an assortment of blades. Hoping my shaving doesn't become an addiction a la HD's description. It would be awesome to come across some antiques after I get started and have an appreciation for it. Hopefully, overall, I can save money over the gillette multi-blade systems.

Thanks guys for all the tips and chat board hookup. I am sure it will all come in handy. If you see a guy at homecoming with gauze wrapped around his head, it could be me!!! Don't worry HD, I will be patient. I always say something worth doing is worth doing right.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

As I was shaving this morning, I was thinking about time. Make sure you are willing to invest the time involved to learn. If you always shave in a hurry, this won't work. When I first started, it literally took me 45-60 minutes to fully shave. But, now I can shave as fast as you can with a cartridge, and as fast as some can with an electric, and get a much cleaner, closer shave of which my wife notices a huge difference...and that is a good thing.

And just FYI, when making the transition to using a straight, the learning curve is 3 times as steep, but fun.

And when you are sure you want to continue, this is the greatest contribution to wet shaving in the last 50 years:

http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/moss_scuttle.htm

Champ DrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the rough

i got into wet shaving about 5 years ago; or halfway through my time teaching at tech; The water in Ruston did NOT cooperate with shaving with a fusion razor for me.

so, I hung out on B&B quite a bit. be careful with that site; they have enough topic areas there (except sports) you can kill a LOT of time there.

I introduced Rhythmdawg to it; and I think Germdawg and I talked about it before (i have slept since then).

I would recommend buying a starter kit from one of the guys in the BST; OR introduce yourself in the new member area; lots of the guys there do pay it forwards and you might get a really nice beginner kit for nothing (they generally judge by post count).

I started with a Merkur HD and a synthetic brush and shave soap; and now alternate with the HD, a Merkur Slant or a gillette Tech (that is the same age as me; OLD). I have so many friggin shave soaps in my rotation; but my two favorites are Mama Bear Cocoa (is like shaving with a hersey bar) and QED something or other; cant remember the name but it smells like blue spruce.

and then RD got me friggin addicted to fountain pens; ugh

but as RD suggests, take the time upfront and do it slowly; you will get a much better shaving experience and much less razor burn or weepers.

and shaving this way (with a safety razor or straight) seems to REALLY be a turn on to the opposite sex; my SWMBO really enjoys watching me shave as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumDawg View Post
    and then RD got me friggin addicted to fountain pens; ugh
    payback

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    that board looks really familiar, I wonder why
    Because it's full of polls?
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got my new razor set in the mail yesterday. Best shave I have ever gotten. I did purchase a preshave oil, and it is great. Those of you saying that it is an expensive, addictive hobby will probably be right. I purchased a Murker 34C razor and the barrel is a little short, I know TWSS. Anyway, I will probably be buying a razor with a longer barrel before long and packing the smaller one when I travel. No razor burn and not cuts!!! Love it.

+ Reply to Thread