+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Hollywood Double Standard

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Another Hollywood Double Standard

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    This shows how bad popular culture really is. Same thing happened in the 60s until most of them grew up....some didn't and became governor of California...again.

These are your Bernie Sanders types that will work to redistribute wealth once they obtain some power. Hopefully I will be gone by then, but my poor children will have to live with people like Guisslap and his ilk moralizing from a tribal standpoint and running with the herd of lemmings until it is too late to turn back.

I saw some of that "educated American" standpoint in a video showing them being critical of Trump's state of the union speech before it actually happened. They were easily led by the interviewer as long as he used the correct terms with them, and they showed just how STUPID the educated have become in America.
    I disagree that they are "educated". These Hollywood types are the ones that couldn't make it in the sciences/engineering. These were the misfit partiers and drama queens and flakes in H.S. and college.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    I disagree that they are "educated". These Hollywood types are the ones that couldn't make it in the sciences/engineering. These were the misfit partiers and drama queens and flakes in H.S. and college.
    Sorry. I was not calling the Hollywood typed educated. This was a video that showed the students at NYU answering questions about Trump's SOTU address.

I was just heading off the argument that "educated" folks are the ones that voted for Hillary and non-educated folks voted for Trump. Sometimes the dumbest ones are in the universities.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Grammys are a joke to those that actually follow music, particularly because they award best albums/records to highly commercial acts (notably, Adele, Taylor Swift, and Bruno Mars) when they are so clearly critically inferior to the albums/records by Kendrick Lamar (twice snubbed) and Beyonce (snubbed the year between).

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Grammys are a joke to those that actually follow music, particularly because they award best albums/records to highly commercial acts (notably, Adele, Taylor Swift, and Bruno Mars) when they are so clearly critically inferior to the albums/records by Kendrick Lamar (twice snubbed) and Beyonce (snubbed the year between).

Is this good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTRZJ-4EyI

If so, I don't get it. I hear the "N" word over and over and a lot of objectifying comments about women. This is the guy you mentioned above, that I had never heard of. Had to go see what it was about.

The entire entertainment industry has become a joke and Americans are waking up to the hypocrisy that inbreeds in that atmosphere living and working in the liberal bubble.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Is this good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTRZJ-4EyI

If so, I don't get it. I hear the "N" word over and over and a lot of objectifying comments about women. This is the guy you mentioned above, that I had never heard of. Had to go see what it was about.
    Well, yeah, “Humble” is a pretty good song though not my favorite on the album.

Metacritic, the critical review aggregating website, gives it a 95, earning the number 6 all time reviewed album. His previous album, To Pimp a Butterfly was number 4 all time on an aggregated scoring basis. The album prior to that (Good Kid/ MaAd City) is also a top 15 album. Metacritic has only been around a dozen years or so, so it is a pretty recent snapshot of reviewed music history. It doesn’t include music from the 1940s-1990s, so that is an important thing to note.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/alb...e/all/filtered

The song Humble appears next to the song Pride on the album. It is one of the several dichotomy song pairs appearing on the album (along with Love/Lust and arguably Fear/God).
    This album, to me, is Kendrick acknowledging his contradictions in a way that few artists can - in a way that seems sincere and occasionally insightful. He is perhaps one of the best rappers I have seen at honest self-reflection. The other acclaimed albums of his have completely different focuses, and self-reflection is a component of each of them but not really the central focus as this album seems to make it.

“Nigga” is a term used throughout hip hop and is not inflammatory in such a context. If you want to understand art forms beyond your cultural context, this is just a reality you must learn to accept. And it makes sense that hip hop empowers the artists allowing them to own a variation of a subversive word that they now own on their own terms.

In the Rolling Stone interview Kendrick confirmed the song Humble is a self-reflecting ego check on himself as well as other artists who pursue and idolize, such as in songs, the behavior described in much of the opening verse.

I wouldn’t expect anyone to understand the point of view of Kendrick by listening to just a single one of his songs. There is a history of his work that provides context. The more you listen to, the more you recognize his storytelling devices.

Well, yeah, “Humble” is a pretty good song though not my favorite on the album.

Metacritic, the critical review aggregating website, gives it a 95, earning the number 6 all time reviewed album. His previous album, To Pimp a Butterfly was number 4 all time on an aggregated scoring basis. The album prior to that (Good Kid/ MaAd City) is also a top 15 album. Metacritic has only been around a dozen years or so, so it is a pretty recent snapshot of reviewed music history. It doesn’t include music from the 1940s-1990s, so that is an important thing to note.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/alb...e/all/filtered

The song Humble appears next to the song Pride on the album. It is one of the several dichotomy song pairs appearing on the album (along with Love/Lust and arguably Fear/God).
    This album, to me, is Kendrick acknowledging his contradictions in a way that few artists can - in a way that seems sincere and occasionally insightful. He is perhaps one of the best rappers I have seen at honest self-reflection. The other acclaimed albums of his have completely different focuses, and self-reflection is a component of each of them but not really the central focus as this album seems to make it.

“Nigga” is a term used throughout hip hop and is not inflammatory in such a context. If you want to understand art forms beyond your cultural context, this is just a reality you must learn to accept. And it makes sense that hip hop empowers the artists allowing them to own a variation of a subversive word that they now own on their own terms.

In the Rolling Stone interview Kendrick confirmed the song Humble is a self-reflecting ego check on himself as well as other artists who pursue and idolize, such as in songs, the behavior described in much of the opening verse.

I wouldn’t expect anyone to understand the point of view of Kendrick by listening to just a single one of his songs. There is a history of his work that provides context. The more you listen to, the more you recognize his storytelling devices.
    Hey, not judging. Just wanted to make sure I listened to a good one. Whatever trips your trigger is fine with me.

That's why there are lots of music choices out there.

Hey, not judging. Just wanted to make sure I listened to a good one. Whatever trips your trigger is fine with me.

That's why there are lots of music choices out there.
    I generally like the tapestries he put together in each of his last 3 albums. The highlights of the most recent album for me are DNA, Pride, and Love.

From TPAB, highlights for me are Westley’s Theory, u, and Blacker the Berry.

But GK/MC is full of his epic storytelling : Art of Peer Pressure, Money’s Trees, Swimming Pools, MaAD City, Black Boy Fly. All stories of growing up in Compton while being unaffiliated with a gang.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

What a great excuse for lack of pronunciation skills. If you understood the culture you'd know they never pronounce the "er" on the end of any word. That's also a southern thing, but it carries over into most all black culture.

How do you feel about saggin'?

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    What a great excuse for lack of pronunciation skills. If you understood the culture you'd know they never pronounce the "er" on the end of any word. That's also a southern thing, but it carries over into most all black culture.

How do you feel about saggin'?
    Do you think words are magical and contain intrinsic fixed meanings? Or do you believe that words have different meanings and different intensions amongst different peoples and in different contexts?

I suspect you are intelligent enough to understand why black culture chose the approach of “cultural appropriation” of the eye dialect form of a word that had been used as a weapon against them by racists. It is not that different from white people from where we are from affectionately referring to themselves as rednecks. The term can be affectionate or offensive depending on its context, including the person saying it.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Do you think words are magical and contain intrinsic fixed meanings? Or do you believe that words have different meanings and different intensions amongst different peoples and in different contexts?

I suspect you are intelligent enough to understand why black culture chose the approach of “cultural appropriation” of the eye dialect form of a word that had been used as a weapon against them by racists. It is not that different from white people from where we are from affectionately referring to themselves as rednecks. The term can be affectionate or offensive depending on its context, including the person saying it.
    How do you feel about saggin'? These are the people who say the N word w/out the "er".

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    How do you feel about saggin'? These are the people who say the N word w/out the "er".
    It is a style that doesn’t look good on me.

+ Reply to Thread