+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Conference re-alignment has jumped the shark

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Conference re-alignment has jumped the shark

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus_KKY View Post
    I normally agree with you Dawg06 but I don't see the Big12 going away. All the other AQ's minus Big East are sitting happy right now and I don't see them taking anyone else anytime soon, unless they have defectors in the future. I do think Big East football is dangling one foot over the ledge right now. To say the least, it will be interesting to see if anyone comes crawling back if the Big East Football does end up failing in dramatic fashion.
    I never said the Big 12 would go away. They will survive, but they won't be one of the Big 4 conferences. Texas will not stay in a conference with Louisville and South Florida for very long. I think they will just pull whoever they want from the Big East, C-USA, and the MWC.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    \

Baylor and TCU would "fall" back into CUSA, possibly. That would be a good boost.
    Nope. Nobody will fall back anywhere. The Big 12 will just reload from the Big East, C-USA, and MWC.

Varsity Bulldog Lazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of light Lazarus_KKY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I never said the Big 12 would go away. They will survive, but they won't be one of the Big 4 conferences. Texas will not stay in a conference with Louisville and South Florida for very long. I think they will just pull whoever they want from the Big East, C-USA, and the MWC.
    Ok I understand what your saying now. I just read what you said earlier different from what you indended. I agree, once the Big East falls from glory then Big 12 will be the odd man out.

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

That's where I see this going.

The SEC and ACC are already at 14.

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State to the Pac-16.

The SEC and Big Ten each take their pick.

The ACC gobbles up what's left to get to 16.

Notre Dame will have a big decision to make.
    with the media rights deal, nobody is leaving the Big 12 any time soon. and if the Big 12 is off the table, i don't know who the PAC12 will get additional teams from. they certainly don't have 4 teams from the MWC that they would consider inviting. they already said they don't want BYU (even though they would be good fit in so many ways)

Quote Originally Posted by GrassyNoleHitman View Post
    with the media rights deal, nobody is leaving the Big 12 any time soon. and if the Big 12 is off the table, i don't know who the PAC12 will get additional teams from. they certainly don't have 4 teams from the MWC that they would consider inviting. they already said they don't want BYU (even though they would be good fit in so many ways)
    The Pac-12 definitely won't be taking any MWC teams.

I just don't see Texas staying happy in the new Big 12 for very long. They will not like sharing a conference with TCU, West Virginia, Louisville, and South Florida. Once they've had enough, they'll pack their bags and take Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State with them to the Pac-16. The Pac-16 would probably provide just as much or more revenue than the current Big 12 deal.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't see Texas staying happy in the new Big 12 for very long. They will not like sharing a conference with TCU, West Virginia, Louisville, and South Florida. Once they've had enough, they'll pack their bags and take Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State with them to the Pac-16. The Pac-16 would probably provide just as much or more revenue than the current Big 12 deal.
    I could see the PAC 12 taking USAFA (Stanford like) at some point.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

By "media rights deal", I am pretty sure he's referring to the contract that would prevent a team from taking its media rights with it if it left. He's right that would prevent any team from leaving (no conference would want them), but that deal only lasts for six years, if I recall. The Pac-16 would likely bring in significantly more money than the Big 12, but I'm not sure if the Pac-12 has the stomach for it. I wouldn't bet on it happening, though if I were FSU I would not bet on it *not* happening.

It's interesting to ponder who the ACC would take if those six did leave. Their disinterest in WVU is well-known, and I don't see them bending on academics, but I wouldn't bet against Baylor, Kansas and K-State despite the geography. Either way, I'd be interested to know how the Big 12 would rebuild. East or West? UH and SMU would go, if asked. Who else from the Big East would, I wonder? (I'm assuming Louisville & USF aren't already gone. I don't think they justify the Big 12 getting back to 12. I think it's ACC teams or bust (assuming not BYU or ND).

(Of course, I'm less sold on 4/16 as others are. Things rarely fit together that neatly. Beyond which, if you go there, at some point the Floridas start looking at the Mississippi States and the USCs at the Oregon States and wonder if USC+Florida makes more financial sense than UF+MSU.)
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Varsity Bulldog Lazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of light Lazarus_KKY's Avatar

I could actually see Texas trying independent out. But I can also see the PAC-12 being a good spot for them as well. The question is if this happens do teams keep getting bounced up the chain like they are doing now? Could we land a spoit in Big East with USM and ECU? Could we even have a shot at the Big 12?

Big Dog olddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus_KKY View Post
    I could actually see Texas trying independent out. But I can also see the PAC-12 being a good spot for them as well. The question is if this happens do teams keep getting bounced up the chain like they are doing now? Could we land a spoit in Big East with USM and ECU? Could we even have a shot at the Big 12?
    If we do not take care of the one thing that could possibly get us there - WINNING and thus building our brand nationally, the answer is emphatically NO! What we must do is lay the ground work to be ready to be a realistic consideration if and when the time comes. Unfortunately, LSU took a big part of that opportunity away when they put the pressure on to leave LSU-S in place. Yes, I am and remain a conspiracy theroist in this regard. LSU wants no part of LaTECH or any other university in the state doing anything that could potentially create a challenge to their monopoly in this state and they have the backers in place to make sure the status quo does not change.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    I could see the PAC 12 taking USAFA (Stanford like) at some point.

I do not see that happening at all. Just like BYU, AFA is not culturally compatable with the Pac-12. Just imagine the first game AFA played at Cal or Stanford. Might be more protesters than fans....

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    I do not see that happening at all. Just like BYU, AFA is not culturally compatable with the Pac-12. Just imagine the first game AFA played at Cal or Stanford. Might be more protesters than fans....
    I hadn't really thought about the commie left coast angle. You might be right.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I hadn't really thought about the commie left coast angle.
    Somehow, I find that hard to believe from the guy who cant put on his underpants without first considering the broader socio-political ramifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Somehow, I find that hard to believe from the guy who cant put on his underpants without first considering the broader socio-political ramifications.
    Nah, just really pushing my first ex-university USAFA. I would love to see them kick some PAC 12 arse on a yearly basis.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Nah, just really pushing my first ex-university USAFA. I would love to see them kick some PAC 12 arse on a yearly basis.
    They've struggled enough in the MWC. They wouldn't be able to compete in the PAC-12.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    They've struggled enough in the MWC. They wouldn't be able to compete in the PAC-12.
    I think they have a pretty good record in the MWC. Upper-middle class for sure.

They wouldn't be competing for championships in the Pac-12, but they've been better over the last 5 years or so than several PAC teams. They wouldn't be terrible.

+ Reply to Thread