+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NBA players reject latest offer. Season likely doomed.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

NBA players reject latest offer. Season likely doomed.

Who cares!!

NBA players reject latest offer, move
    to decertify

Seth Wenig / AP

Pro basketball season appears doomed after players say they will exercise what league had termed a "nuclear option."

Players vote to reject offer, decertify union. Season likely doomed.
    Kurt Helin
    Nov 14, 2011, 2:08 PM EST

This is Armageddon. Nuclear winter is upon NBA fans.
    The NBA players got together in New York Monday and not only voted to reject the league’s ultimatum offer, but voted to start process to decertify the union.
    “We’ve arrived at the conclusion that the collective bargaining process has completely broken down, and as a result in the last hour we have served a notice of disclaimer on (David) Stern and the NBA,” union director Billy Hunter said after the meeting. “We plan to disseminate that to all 30 teams…
    “The players are not ready to accept the ultimatum, they thought it was completely unfair on the part of the NBA ownership and management… We have negotiated in good faith for two years, but the players have felt they have given enough.”
    That step — a notice of disclaimer that essentially says the union has no interest in representing the players in negotiations any more and is abandoning that right — is the first step in anti-trust lawsuits that will be filed by players in the coming days as this process moves into the courts. This is the step the NFL players union took and something agents have pushed the NBA union to do since July, it’s just that the timing of doing it now essentially blows up the negotiating process when there wasn’t a lot of time left to save the NBA season.
    There is little chance of any NBA season right now
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...oomed/related/

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: NBA players reject latest offer. Season likely doomed.

Oh boy! I'm gonna miss it.....NOT!

(saying "NOT" is so 90's, ain't it)

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

You could've said SIKE! So 80s!

Varsity Bulldog jellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the rough jellidawg's Avatar

I am so glad I possibly won't have to sit through a bunch of NBA games in late February, early March when Baseball season is getting started up...

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Season likely doomed.

....zzz...

Champ Tdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the rough Tdawg87's Avatar

You mean they haven't started yet?...Hmm...never missed it.

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Damn, no love for the NBA? I love it.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an NBA fan since Karl Malone retired. But I'm a Memphis Grizzlies fan. The games are fun and lots of ladies attend. So, I bought season tickets for 2011 because I got a great deal when buying playoff tickets for last season.

The Grizzlies where one triple overtime loss away from playing in the finals, and season ticket sales were at an all time high. Now, staff, vendors, parking attendants, and other support staff are out of work.

Downtown restaurants/bars/hotels and their employees are losing money. Sales tax revenues are down for local governments.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    I'm not an NBA fan since Karl Malone retired. But I'm a Memphis Grizzlies fan. The games are fun and lots of ladies attend. So, I bought season tickets for 2011 because I got a great deal when buying playoff tickets for last season.

The Grizzlies where one triple overtime loss away from playing in the finals, and season ticket sales were at an all time high. Now, staff, vendors, parking attendants, and other support staff are out of work.

Downtown restaurants/bars/hotels and their employees are losing money. Sales tax revenues are down for local governments.
    It certainly sucks for the places near the arenas, but I think studies have shown that the city doesn't really lose in these situations overall. People just spend the money elsewhere - they go out to eat or go to a movie or something.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    It certainly sucks for the places near the arenas, but I think studies have shown that the city doesn't really lose in these situations overall. People just spend the money elsewhere - they go out to eat or go to a movie or something.
    I'd like to see the study. That may be true for locals, but hotel bookings go up even for mid-week games.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    I'd like to see the study. That may be true for locals, but hotel bookings go up even for mid-week games.
    I'll look during lunch. I've seen this a couple of places. Memphis may be an exception since it isn't like the locals are going to buy MLB, NHL, or NFL tickets instead. But I think the numbers hold up. Not sure if they looked at hotels (which would be an obvious flaw if not).

http://moneyland.time.com/2011/11/07...stated-impact/

For example, a 2000 study by University of Maryland-Baltimore County economists Dennis Coates and Brad Humphreys found that work stoppages in baseball and football between 1969 and 1996 – the NBA had experienced no labor disputes in that time period – had no impact on the economies of 37 metropolitan statistical areas with pro sports franchises. In fact, the models showed that cities saw a very slight increase in real per capita income during years with a work stoppage.

Robert Baade, a sports economist from Lake Forest (Ill.) College, led a 2006 study that examined sales tax data in Florida. The study found that the lockouts and strikes since 1980 had no statistically significant effect on sales tax receipts in the metropolitan areas that house pro sports franchises.

+ Reply to Thread