+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Band of Pride Fundraiser

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Re: Tech Administration decides to send only 1/3 of the BOP to the Poinsettia Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    I think we can get some funds raised to at least send 50 more. Several people have stated they will donate a significant amount to the cause. We just need hard numbers on what it would cost.
    YES...and where to send it.....so that it is used for the purpose of sending the BOP and not something else.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Tech Administration decides to send only 1/3 of the BOP to the Poinsettia Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    No, ALL of our spirit groups need to be there. The entire Band of Pride, Regal Blues, cheerleaders, Champ, and Tech XX. I'd like to know who all is in our traveling party of 185 that is subsidized by the WAC. Our administration can pay their own way. Reneau needs to know that 3.6 million people watched the Poinsettia Bowl last year. We need to be ALL IN.

When did the band, football team, cheerleaders, and RB's start practicing for their chance to perform/cheer at an event like this? Most of them started when they were 7-8 years old. They all deserve what is more than likely the chance of a friggin LIFETIME!!

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Oso View Post
    I'm all for sending the band but here's my issue with the complaints. Was anyone on this board at the game on Saturday?

We had what could be argued as the biggest game in Joe Aillet Stadium history last Saturday and the band did not perform at halftime because they did not have enough members come back to Ruston from break. Why should we send an entire band when the whole band can't come to a home game? I say send only the kids that stood, cheered and danced in the rain Saturday to San Diego. And the same goes for the Regal Blues.

Just my two cents but to say the entire band "deserves" to go is quite an understatement.
    Thanks for sharing that. Those people should not be allowed to go to the bowl game. They knew the game was coming, and didn't bother to show. I'd be willing to bet those are the ones complaining.

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Yes, you've totally missed the point.

1) Guess who contributes to making sure the team is motivated enough to score?

2) There wasn't even an attempt to ask for outside funding. Just a straight decision to say only a few can go.

3) The university administration needs to be embarrassed for acting like a podunk technical college. What is counterproductive towards presenting the university in the best light is not presenting the university in the best light by purposely degrading one of the best things about the university.
    While I do agree 100% the entire BOP should be there, the bolded statement has me scratching my head a little. No offense, but I hope our players do not need the band for motivation to score. (TW..)

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

I know I will get blasted for this, but do these kids have parents? Can't they help offset the cost to send their kid for a really nice trip to the west coast?

I know this is simple math, but if they can send 50 kids at $1000 per, then they have allocated $50,000 towards a total cost of $150,000. That would equate out to a need for an additional $100,000 or $666.66 per kid for all 150 (why chose which ones get to go, etc.). Ask the parents to pay at least half of that and/or find a corporate sponsor or two to pay the rest. Or worse case, find 150 donors to pay $666.66

What am I missing?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    While I do agree 100% the entire BOP should be there, the bolded statement has me scratching my head a little. No offense, but I hope our players do not need the band for motivation to score. (TW..)
    No, they don't "need" the BoP anymore than they "need" fans...

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    There was NO band at ANY of the away games until a PEP band went to the Ole Miss game.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Note to BoP, go with the "the school will look good" argument and not the "the band deserves this" argument.

Bulldog lillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nice

I've been trying to get an account set up with the Foundation for my fraternity since last March. I have recontacted the head person again to see what the hold up is and if not set one up for the BOP. I knew this issue was coming soon and I tried to solve it before it got here. To answer one question, I know most of our parents can't afford to pay half our expenses or at least I know mine can't. For most, this is the first time they have ever flown anywhere. I am hoping to get the account setup or something and get hard numbers to get this issue resolved. I know I've provided hard numbers for Tau Upsilon Beta Alpha for what we need.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    I know I will get blasted for this, but do these kids have parents? Can't they help offset the cost to send their kid for a really nice trip to the west coast?

I know this is simple math, but if they can send 50 kids at $1000 per, then they have allocated $50,000 towards a total cost of $150,000. That would equate out to a need for an additional $100,000 or $666.66 per kid for all 150 (why chose which ones get to go, etc.). Ask the parents to pay at least half of that and/or find a corporate sponsor or two to pay the rest. Or worse case, find 150 donors to pay $666.66

What am I missing?
    I will not blast you. I don't have a problem with them coming up with at least part of the money- maybe half is too much. No, they shouldn't have to, but life is not fair as I explain to my children all the time. At this point, unless they can find the additional money, paying part looks like it may be the only shot they have. I am curious about what the $1k per member is comprised of - I am assuming they will stay 4 to a room, fly, have buses there for transportation as needed, and will get some type of money for food. Does this total $1k- I don't know- it seems to me this may be done a little cheaper but I have not researched it.

Puppy FastDawg23 is just really niceFastDawg23 is just really niceFastDawg23 is just really niceFastDawg23 is just really niceFastDawg23 is just really niceFastDawg23 is just really niceFastDawg23 is just really niceFastDawg23 is just really niceFastDawg23 is just really niceFastDawg23 is just really niceFastDawg23 is just really nice FastDawg23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guard_dawg View Post
    we had repercussions for not coming to the game. scholarships were cut. but you have to factor in that THE ENTIRE BAND would have missed all or most of the break to be able to put on a show for the game. we would have missed thanksgiving with our families to play three songs. many of our members live at the bottom of the boot, in texas or arkansas, and many of those that live far away rely on others for rides because they are without vehicles. i know for a fact that some of them were away for a wedding. so punishing them for missing one game by taking away their (possibly) one shot at going to a bowl game that isnt in s'port (cause honestly...shreveport doesnt really count) is fair?and what college kid has the spare gas money to drive home then back to ruston for one game then home again then back for school all within a weeks time. i live in benton and i barely have the gas money to get home.
    so before you go and say oh only the ones that came to the thanksgiving break game should go you should probably get all the details.

also buying tickets to gave to the spirit groups is a fantastic gesture but will yall be willing to foot the bill to ship the equipment? tubas are heavy! and percussion.

As a former player, I spent plenty of Thanksgiving breaks in Ruston away from family. I also spent plenty of summers there too. I am all for the whole band being able to go to the bowl game but don't try to tell me people were justified missing the last game. As a member of any of the groups, athletics, band, or spirit, you make a commitment. Sacrifices are made. I am sure the members that decided not to attend the last game would have survived missing out on Turkey day for four years.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by El Oso View Post
    I'm all for sending the band but here's my issue with the complaints. Was anyone on this board at the game on Saturday?

We had what could be argued as the biggest game in Joe Aillet Stadium history last Saturday and the band did not perform at halftime because they did not have enough members come back to Ruston from break. Why should we send an entire band when the whole band can't come to a home game? I say send only the kids that stood, cheered and danced in the rain Saturday to San Diego. And the same goes for the Regal Blues.

Just my two cents but to say the entire band "deserves" to go is quite an understatement.
    I agree with this. Only the ones that showed up for the game last Sat., should be allowed to go to the Bowl game. There were lots of us that drove over 200 miles one way and sat in the rain to support the team. The dorms were opened for everyone to come back to the game. They have no excuse for staying away. Those that stayed away are the ones that will not support Tech after they graduate. I will donate money to help send the ones that were at the game Sat. I will not donate to send the ones that didn't show up.

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    I agree with this. Only the ones that showed up for the game last Sat., should be allowed to go to the Bowl game. There were lots of us that drove over 200 miles one way and sat in the rain to support the team. The dorms were opened for everyone to come back to the game. They have no excuse for staying away. Those that stayed away are the ones that will not support Tech after they graduate. I will donate money to help send the ones that were at the game Sat. I will not donate to send the ones that didn't show up.
    THIS

Varsity Bulldog osl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time osl530's Avatar

to be honest we'll probably still look pretty scrappy even with the whole band there. i know the band does everything they can but when they are next to other school bands they get overshadowed real quick. the whole program needs more money not just for traveling.

Champ DrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the rough

I think it is for threads JUST LIKE THIS that I continue to lurk on bbb.

Point of Order; since this thread has become sidetracked (like most of the band threads tend to do).

There are separate issues.
    1. Some are upset that the FULL band did not attend the last regular season home game. I understand the frustration about this, but frankly this is not the point of THIS thread.
    2. Why can't the band/director raise their own money (like the sports teams)?
    and
    3. only 1/3 of the band is going to the bowl game.

Point 2: Football, basketball, etc are extracurricular activities. No academic focus (other than keeping them in school). The coaches (head coaches at least) do not head up their fund raising activities; that generally is spear headed by the AD and his office and the coaches are brought in to enhance the project.
    Band at Tech is an academic program. The director's job is to TEACH; first and foremost. Typically that means the director is teaching 2/3 other courses in addition to whatever else his department head heaps upon him WHILE directing the marching and basketball bands.
    Yes he has a budget (which was slashed drastically in 2007); but that budget only typically includes enough for a pep band to travel to a regional game (if that). Typically, he has had to ask for additional funds to make those trips happen (ole miss, lsu). For comparison; At my current position, the entire university (academic AND athletics) does not want me worrying about raising funds or even where they come from; they just want to know that when the band is needed; it is there and ready to go (we have been sent as a full band to every post season opportunity since I have arrived). and we are NOT D1.

3. Tech is D1; Tech is trying to walk in big boy shoes, be in a big boy conference and make a distinction between themselves and the SB and everyone else they feel they need to; IF that is the case; You send your ENTIRE contingent; put your best foot forward; you give San Diego the FULL MEAL DEAL. Show them everything that Louisiana Tech has to offer.
    No the team does not NEED it; but Tech does. other bowls are watching; other universities are watching; and they keep score.

So in the light of eternity; the BoP is upset; they may not voice it well; kids rarely do.
    The victory is not hanging in the balance of 100 band members; but the future of tech athletics and the respect of the university in the eyes of those watching MIGHT be...

just my two cents

gary

+ Reply to Thread