+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Band of Pride Fundraiser

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: Tech Administration decides to send only 1/3 of the BOP to the Poinsettia Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by DrumDawg View Post
    I think it is for threads JUST LIKE THIS that I continue to lurk on bbb.

Point of Order; since this thread has become sidetracked (like most of the band threads tend to do).

There are separate issues.
    1. Some are upset that the FULL band did not attend the last regular season home game. I understand the frustration about this, but frankly this is not the point of THIS thread.
    2. Why can't the band/director raise their own money (like the sports teams)?
    and
    3. only 1/3 of the band is going to the bowl game.

Point 2: Football, basketball, etc are extracurricular activities. No academic focus (other than keeping them in school). The coaches (head coaches at least) do not head up their fund raising activities; that generally is spear headed by the AD and his office and the coaches are brought in to enhance the project.
    Band at Tech is an academic program. The director's job is to TEACH; first and foremost. Typically that means the director is teaching 2/3 other courses in addition to whatever else his department head heaps upon him WHILE directing the marching and basketball bands.
    Yes he has a budget (which was slashed drastically in 2007); but that budget only typically includes enough for a pep band to travel to a regional game (if that). Typically, he has had to ask for additional funds to make those trips happen (ole miss, lsu). For comparison; At my current position, the entire university (academic AND athletics) does not want me worrying about raising funds or even where they come from; they just want to know that when the band is needed; it is there and ready to go (we have been sent as a full band to every post season opportunity since I have arrived). and we are NOT D1.

3. Tech is D1; Tech is trying to walk in big boy shoes, be in a big boy conference and make a distinction between themselves and the SB and everyone else they feel they need to; IF that is the case; You send your ENTIRE contingent; put your best foot forward; you give San Diego the FULL MEAL DEAL. Show them everything that Louisiana Tech has to offer.
    No the team does not NEED it; but Tech does. other bowls are watching; other universities are watching; and they keep score.

So in the light of eternity; the BoP is upset; they may not voice it well; kids rarely do.
    The victory is not hanging in the balance of 100 band members; but the future of tech athletics and the respect of the university in the eyes of those watching MIGHT be...

just my two cents

gary
    +∞

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Re: Tech Administration decides to send only 1/3 of the BOP to the Poinsettia Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by DrumDawg View Post
    I think it is for threads JUST LIKE THIS that I continue to lurk on bbb.

Point of Order; since this thread has become sidetracked (like most of the band threads tend to do).

There are separate issues.
    1. Some are upset that the FULL band did not attend the last regular season home game. I understand the frustration about this, but frankly this is not the point of THIS thread.
    2. Why can't the band/director raise their own money (like the sports teams)?
    and
    3. only 1/3 of the band is going to the bowl game.

Point 2: Football, basketball, etc are extracurricular activities. No academic focus (other than keeping them in school). The coaches (head coaches at least) do not head up their fund raising activities; that generally is spear headed by the AD and his office and the coaches are brought in to enhance the project.
    Band at Tech is an academic program. The director's job is to TEACH; first and foremost. Typically that means the director is teaching 2/3 other courses in addition to whatever else his department head heaps upon him WHILE directing the marching and basketball bands.
    Yes he has a budget (which was slashed drastically in 2007); but that budget only typically includes enough for a pep band to travel to a regional game (if that). Typically, he has had to ask for additional funds to make those trips happen (ole miss, lsu). For comparison; At my current position, the entire university (academic AND athletics) does not want me worrying about raising funds or even where they come from; they just want to know that when the band is needed; it is there and ready to go (we have been sent as a full band to every post season opportunity since I have arrived). and we are NOT D1.

3. Tech is D1; Tech is trying to walk in big boy shoes, be in a big boy conference and make a distinction between themselves and the SB and everyone else they feel they need to; IF that is the case; You send your ENTIRE contingent; put your best foot forward; you give San Diego the FULL MEAL DEAL. Show them everything that Louisiana Tech has to offer.
    No the team does not NEED it; but Tech does. other bowls are watching; other universities are watching; and they keep score.

So in the light of eternity; the BoP is upset; they may not voice it well; kids rarely do.
    The victory is not hanging in the balance of 100 band members; but the future of tech athletics and the respect of the university in the eyes of those watching MIGHT be...

just my two cents

gary
    Exactly.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for a well worded, intelligent post Gary. Whole heartedly agree.

Big Dog WonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of light WonderDawg's Avatar

Sure hope CUSA is not watching, even small things may have a bearing on our acceptance.

Champ DrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the rough

Incidentally; (I forgot to post this earlier)
    I KNOW that the poinsetta bowl called the director of bands prior to extending the invitation to make sure that the band would be going. The band said as long as they send us, we will go (or something to that effect). So the bowl itself seemed to expect the band to be going.

g

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgs1 View Post
    I diagree! We will be short of fan support so we need to throw the kitchen sink @ San Diego. Remember that the spirit groups are also future alumni & financial supporters. Perception is reality & because we could use a lot of reality right now (conference realignment & all) we need to send everyone we can. It just takes the admin to get a plan of what we can & cannot do & then let the fans, alumni & booster know what they need.
    Yup, as a former BOP member/Tech Alumn, I hope we send the entire band to Cali. Band got me hooked on Tech sports, I give to LTAC ever year.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

A simple suggestion for BB&B:

1. Set up a "designated fund" somehow, to begin receiving donations for a.) Tickets, b.) potential travel/lodging.
    2. Allow the "others" to determine how/what they can do.
    3. If the two efforts meet in the middle, decisions can be made:
    send as many as possible given the outcomes,
    stick to an alternative plan of providing the ticket fund, (a.), toward donations to service peoples,
    the travel/lodging fund, (b.), can be placed toward our normal funding in the future.

4. Evaluate after things settle in place.
    Someone within the "organization(s)" needs to find the most reasonable details - travel lodging etc, and get a firm "need" presented ASAP. The ticket office will need to know how to "block" tickets for the additional band members.
    We (BB&B) can begin counting down tickets purchased and seek matching travel- or % matching per ticket and attempt to direct our participation to keep the two in proportion.
    Just a thought, I hate when we are not focused. Fire away.

Big Dog mjl006 has much to be proud ofmjl006 has much to be proud ofmjl006 has much to be proud ofmjl006 has much to be proud ofmjl006 has much to be proud ofmjl006 has much to be proud ofmjl006 has much to be proud ofmjl006 has much to be proud ofmjl006 has much to be proud ofmjl006 has much to be proud ofmjl006 has much to be proud of

There are valid points to both sides of this debate. No matter what is said, it will be argued. In the end, I'm proud we are going to the Poinsettia Bowl, full band or not. I'll be in Ruston watching on tv, so right now I'm typing just to be typing.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mjl006 View Post
    There are valid points to both sides of this debate. No matter what is said, it will be argued. In the end, I'm proud we are going to the Poinsettia Bowl, full band or not. I'll be in Ruston watching on tv, so right now I'm typing just to be typing.
    You don't type very loud.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by mjl006 View Post
    Thanks for your participation, and insight. Good point, why are we debating? Either define it and do it, or not.

Puppy TCU Band guy is an unknown

I am a TCU Band alum who has been through this before. Traditionally it is in the best interest of the university to send thier ENTIRE band. This comes out of the athletic budget not the bands. If you dont send yours and the other school does send theirs then beleive me the bowls comittee does take note. Also when they are showing shots of the bands during the game it will look very noticeable as to who has more. TCU does fly their band to most games and does send the entire band. Their deal in the past has been an all or nothing thing. The best way to get the equipment out there is to contract with a moving company. We did this for our first bowl game out there and it worked out great. As for taking this public you should. If you dont it will be even more embarrassing. ESPN wont make a big deal of it, in fact they can help put some pressure on the admin because they are helping to put on the game, and they need a great production.

if you guys have any questions please feel free to ask

Varsity Bulldog stuee is a jewel in the roughstuee is a jewel in the roughstuee is a jewel in the roughstuee is a jewel in the roughstuee is a jewel in the roughstuee is a jewel in the roughstuee is a jewel in the roughstuee is a jewel in the roughstuee is a jewel in the roughstuee is a jewel in the roughstuee is a jewel in the rough stuee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Note to BoP, go with the "the school will look good" argument and not the "the band deserves this" argument.
    This.

University perception is what DR cares about and is how it should be approached by the band or students. Having an "Occupy Wall Street" mentality may get you press, but it will not help you change hearts and minds.

Does any one of the spirit groups “deserve” a free trip? The answer is simply, No. The bowl game is a reward for the football team. Not the fans, the school, or the administration.

Do I believe that Tech should make every effort to send all of the spirit groups? Yes, I do. I believe the band and spirit groups should go to San Diego either by plane or bus, which ever is more cost efficient for them all to make the trip, get equipment to town, and have a great bowl experience.

The more “ambassadors” that Louisiana Tech has at the game the better we are perceived by other universities. This is important for both academics and athletics as an opportunity to prove we are constantly committed to building relationships and improving our standing and perception in both areas, as well as separating ourselves in a positive manner from the other in-state schools. The view of Louisiana in general is not that great but we can make a difference in changing that view. Do not keep Louisiana Tech a secret any longer.

Louisiana Tech is Tier 1 Research University and has been able to accomplish that with the financial adversity we face as a state. There are a lot of research dollars that are spent in southern California, especially in bio-med and pharmaceuticals. I am sure DR and his entourage could make some plans to meet with companies and schools while we are there and even invite them to the game or some events to show off what Louisiana Tech has to offer them.

Louisiana Tech Fans support their school win or lose in manner that is positive. I have received many complements on our fans while at other venues as well as home games. We are passionate yet polite and respectful. We have a chance to be the only game on ESPN in front of millions of viewers playing a top 25 team. What will they think when they see our band and spirit groups? This is one of the best opportunities he will have to show off our school and his commitment.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TCU Band guy View Post
    if you guys have any questions please feel free to ask
    What is your favorite flavored Icee?

Bulldog lillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nicelillojo318 is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by OLDBLUE View Post
    Thanks for your participation, and insight. Good point, why are we debating? Either define it and do it, or not.
    I finally got an account set up with the University Foundation for Tau Upsilon Beta Alpha. I will post for information soon.

Puppy TCU Band guy is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    What is your favorite flavored Icee?
    grape or cherry

+ Reply to Thread