+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "We shouldn't have allowed aTm in."

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Re: "We shouldn't have allowed aTm in."

Quote Originally Posted by dchi72 View Post
    My uncle will host all day events to watch college football. Two of his friends always show up in thier LSU jerseys. They got custom made jerseys with thier high school numbers and last name on them.

They never went to college, but parade around thier custom jerseys. Until I or my father ask them "When did you play at LSU?"
    That's funny! I would have never thought he would invite those kind to his cave!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

The folks I met at the A&M game were the nicest fans I've encountered at an away game thus far. It's kinda sad to think of those good Texas folks heading into that hellhole that is Baton Rouge, to face that heathen crowd. God bless them!

Bulldog HoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the rough

My brother is an Aggie, and most Aggies are quick to remind LSU fans that aTm was beating that @$$ so much back in in the 90s that LSU pulled out of their contract. Apparently, LSU was supposed to pay close to $1 million (that number seems to change depending on who you ask), but it never did. Surprised?

Texas and OU are very close to fielding SEC caliber defenses, so I don't expect aTm to completely fall apart. The question now is more related to how well Sumlin can recruit and make aTm competitive in the West.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonDawg2008 View Post
    My brother is an Aggie, and most Aggies are quick to remind LSU fans that aTm was beating that @$$ so much back in in the 90s that LSU pulled out of their contract. Apparently, LSU was supposed to pay close to $1 million (that number seems to change depending on who you ask), but it never did. Surprised?

Texas and OU are very close to fielding SEC caliber defenses, so I don't expect aTm to completely fall apart. The question now is more related to how well Sumlin can recruit and make aTm competitive in the West.
    The NC game proved that the SEC is a one team conference: ALABAMA. Everybody else, including LA State, is an "also ran". Nothing special.

HD

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonDawg2008 View Post

If they ever want to compete for a NC, they have to.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    If they ever want to compete for a NC, they have to.
    Well, I hope you guys got a good look at LSU-BAMA, because you'll never see an SEC vs SEC matchup again in the NC game. The TV ratings are now in, and the LSU-BAMA NC game drew the worst TV ratings ever in the history of the game. Most BCS supporters are now saying they can't afford to have this happen again.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...ion=reregister

HD

Cowlishaw: Ratings panic boosts hope for college football playoff

The BCS championship game, a rematch between LSU and Alabama, was the lowest-rated ever.

As bowl viewers tune out, talk of small playoff is dialed up

A
    Text Size

Tim Cowlishaw

wtcowlishaw@dallasnews.com
    Published: 13 January 2012 09:11 PM

In the end, it doesn’t matter who’s right, who’s wrong and whether one side really has the moral high ground. Not in a sports argument, anyway.

In the end, one thing matters. That’s TV ratings.

If ratings are good or really good, things will stay as they are. You might see an increase in the length or number of telecasts, but that’s about it.

And if the ratings stink, then things are about to change. You can take it to the bank.
    That’s why there’s a lot of hand-wringing by those associated with college bowl games right now. That’s why those who support a college playoff might for the first time have real reason to think things are about to move in their direction.
    We’re talking about baby steps here, not sweeping change. We’re talking about a four-team playoff within the bowl structure or a ”plus one” game as it has been called.

Why?

The college bowl ratings were bad. The BCS championship game was the lowest-rated ever and an artistic nightmare (not that Butler-Connecticut last spring was the greatest basketball game ever played).

The five BCS bowl games were down 16 percent in TV ratings. This is what happens when you give people West Virginia vs. Clemson and call it the Orange Bowl. Doesn’t even matter that one team (the Mountaineers) shatters bowl records with 70 points. Neither was a top 10 team going into the bowls. The same was true of Michigan and Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.

Overall, the bowls were down 15 percent in TV ratings. Falling ratings can be a product of many things, but it’s entirely possible that most of the sports world — even the avid fans who will watch nearly anything — believe that 35 bowl games is a bit excessive.

Was a game to determine the bragging rights between 6-6 Illinois and 6-7 UCLA absolutely necessary?

Regardless, the meetings held in New Orleans on Tuesday, the day after Alabama’s 21-0 erasure of LSU, suggested that the possibility of a four-team playoff could be just down the road.

It will take several more meetings, and it will be July before the BCS recommends what changes it wants college presidents to consider. And nothing can change until 2014, so there’s no need to start printing college football brackets anytime soon.

While I’m not a fan of a large playoff, I realize that the current bowl system is preposterous for many reasons. Although I don’t think the plus-one format is necessary, it might inject some life into the system without making the sweeping changes that a 16-team playoff would demand.

If the importance of playing games on New Year’s Day could be restored with two of those bowl games serving as semifinals to a championship a week later, it would be a considerable improvement.

As it stands now, the Rose and Fiesta and a handful of lesser bowls were held in the New Year’s Day slot (actually a day later due to the NFL). Then the Orange, Sugar and Cotton were given their own nights and failed to hold up their end of the TV ratings bargain.

By the time we got to Jan. 9, many fans had had enough. Others suspected that a replay of basically an all-field goal game between LSU and Alabama would be less than riveting. I somehow failed to come to this realization until around the end of the first quarter when I began to wonder exactly what I was doing in the Superdome.
    Whatever the commissioners decide, I hope that they and NCAA President Mark Emmert will stop speaking foolishly about having to preserve student-athletes’ academic schedules in December.

After listening to Emmert on this matter, I’m trying to figure out how college baseball players play games every week from February through June (if they make the College World Series) without intruding on those exams in May.
    But the news out of New Orleans that Big 10 Commissioner Jim Delany is, for the first time, willing to listen to “plus one” formats has to qualify as a significant achievement for playoff proponents.

Maybe Delany had an epiphany.

Most likely he just took a look at the TV ratings.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

These ratings numbers shouldnt be a surprise. There were a few bcs games, I had zero interest in watching. The LSU Bama game was pretty useless after the first half. I turned the channel because the game was already over after Bama got out of one score reach. The only way to get these old curmudgeons off the bowl schedule is to hit them in the wallet. Finally, we may get some progress.

+ Reply to Thread