+ Reply to Thread

Thread: power port

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

power port

Cost $15 for a Dell laptop power port, but the guy is charging a fortune in labor for the installation.

Anybody know anybody who doesn't use the car mechanic method of charging what the book says to charge?

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Re: power port

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Cost $15 for a Dell laptop power port, but the guy is charging a fortune in labor for the installation.

Anybody know anybody who doesn't use the car mechanic method of charging what the book says to charge?

click: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...1.0.3.5.1l10l0

I saved about $1200 a few months ago replacing a heater blend door motor on my ride..... 99.999% chance you can do it yourself.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post

Are you talking about the connector on the laptop where you plug the cable into?
    If so, most people have the entire mainboard replaced. It's much easier. I could see how the labor would be expensive.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    Are you talking about the connector on the laptop where you plug the cable into?
    If so, most people have the entire mainboard replaced. It's much easier. I could see how the labor would be expensive.
    Yes the connector and that's actually what another IT guy said to do. Problem with that is the cost and labor of replacing the mainboard is the same as replacing a $15 port.

Thanks for the info.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

I haven't changed a Dell one, but I've done a TON of Lenovo power ports. It depends on the model of laptop as to the ease of it. What does the part look like??

The Lenovo's are this:
    longibmn100.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    click: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...1.0.3.5.1l10l0

I saved about $1200 a few months ago replacing a heater blend door motor on my ride..... 99.999% chance you can do it yourself.
    After watching the video, I'll say that the chance of me doing that are MUCH less than 99.999%

My mechanical ability is limited to bigger stuff. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll remember the source.

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    I haven't changed a Dell one, but I've done a TON of Lenovo power ports. It depends on the model of laptop as to the ease of it. What does the part look like??

The Lenovo's are this:
    Attachment 8667
    Not like that Doc. The Dell ports are soldered onto a board along with other ports. I'm thinking the price might not be so bad after all.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    From the video that I just watched, you have to solder the old one loose, then put the new port in and solder it back. Yikes!!!

Mad.... you might be better off getting the whole "power board".

413dP-h-kCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    From the video that I just watched, you have to solder the old one loose, then put the new port in and solder it back. Yikes!!!

Mad.... you might be better off getting the whole "power board".

Attachment 8668
    Yeah, I figured that's what IT and my other IT were referring to.

$150 - parts and labor for the installing the $15 port.

$150 - parts and labor for installing the "power board".

Go Figure!

I'll do it for $125.

+ Reply to Thread