+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marathoning

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Marathoning

I thought we had a thread on this topic, but I can't find it. Having never run more than a 5k in my entire life, I signed up somewhere in the middle of October to run the 2012 runDisney Marathon. That race was today. In between now and then, I lost two weeks of training because of this stupid surgery. Hey! I finished the race! Woot.

I know we have some runners on BB&B. How miserable am I going to be tomorrow? Is there anything I can do now to lessen the amount of miserable I will feel?

The Disney marathon is a good one for a first time. There is all kinds of distractions and stuff. Disney really did a great, great job. The race went from Epcot to Magic Kingdom, down to Animal Kingdom, through MGM, and then back to Epcot. This seemed weird, but they had all kinds of picture opportunities where people stopped running and stood in line to take a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Marathoning

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    I thought we had a thread on this topic, but I can't find it. Having never run more than a 5k in my entire life, I signed up somewhere in the middle of October to run the 2012 runDisney Marathon. That race was today. In between now and then, I lost two weeks of training because of this stupid surgery. Hey! I finished the race! Woot.

I know we have some runners on BB&B. How miserable am I going to be tomorrow? Is there anything I can do now to lessen the amount of miserable I will feel?

The Disney marathon is a good one for a first time. There is all kinds of distractions and stuff. Disney really did a great, great job. The race went from Epcot to Magic Kingdom, down to Animal Kingdom, through MGM, and then back to Epcot. This seemed weird, but they had all kinds of picture opportunities where people stopped running and stood in line to take a picture.
    WTG! Got some running addicts here on BBB. Sooner is big time! Got a few iron men too.

You should run a race with the ape suit on for a charity. That would be a good fund raiser.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I'm thinking about bringing AG back out of retirement for Warrior Dash. I could run it in Shreveport. I'm sure I could find a way to tie it into some charity.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Wow, a marathon. Congratulations!!

That's not something on my bucket list. However, a game in the new Miami Marlins stadium is next on my bucket list. It's looking like the June series with the Rays is the most likely. Right now, I'm waiting on a date from a friend's daughter about her wedding plans.

Also this year, I am going to try to play all 12 courses on Louisiana's Audubon Golf Trail.
    Last edited by HoDo-Tech70; 01-08-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling of Audubon

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the marathon! I ran two half marathons in 2010, and I'm signed up for the Cowtown Half Marathon in Ft. Worth in late February. I'm working on running distances longer than a 5K and 10K again as part of my training for the Cowtown race.

From my experience, if you have gradually built up your running distance from a 5K to a HM over the last 2-3 months, you shouldn't feel too bad tomorrow. You may have some soreness and stiffness in your legs, but you shouldn't be in intense pain tomorrow.

There is a 5K race in Shreveport near the Centenary College campus around Halloween each year. With all the costumes some of the runners wear for the race, you would fit in well as the Abominable Gorilla.

Bulldog 809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game

Congrats on your first, hopefully you'll get hooked!

"If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough."-- Steve Jones

Today I finished the 20th running of the Disney World marathon in 4 hours, 55 minutes. My goal was to break 5 hours. This year was way more fun than last because I didn't break down at the end.

In September, the girlfriend and I are using our free AirTran flight in run the Disneyland half. Coast to Coast!

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Ran the Houston this weekend. It was 39 degrees with a hard rain and a 15 mph north wind for a good part of the first five or six miles. After that it was just cold with that same wind.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Rx ran a half marathon on Saturday and a full marathon on Sunday. That's impressive. We ran a 5k on Saturday. Pales in comparison.
    Last edited by Soonerdawg; 01-14-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Ha! A lot of the out of town runners were saying that they wish they had run in Houston because of the heat. That sucks about the weather.

Disney has the Goofy Challenge that has you run the half on Saturday and full on Sunday. I may try that next year if I run it again. It seems impossibly hard

Congratulations to you and Rx for finishing.

Ha! A lot of the out of town runners were saying that they wish they had run in Houston because of the heat. That sucks about the weather.

Disney has the Goofy Challenge that has you run the half on Saturday and full on Sunday. I may try that next year if I run it again. It seems impossibly hard

Congratulations to you and Rx for finishing.
    What was the temperature like? I don't like running in the heat. I admit that. I prefer a happy medium.

The truth is, you are to be congratulated on the accomplishment regardless of the weather conditions. There is no explaining mile 20 to somebody who has never run one before.

The weather man said it was going to be 81 to 85 depending on which report you read. I never went back and looked up the final. Fortunately I finished before it reached that. I heard that miles 22 to 26 turned into a wasteland later in the day. I do know that 27k started and only 20k finished, but I don't know what the normal drop out numbers for a marathon would be.

The weather man said it was going to be 81 to 85 depending on which report you read. I never went back and looked up the final. Fortunately I finished before it reached that. I heard that miles 22 to 26 turned into a wasteland later in the day. I do know that 27k started and only 20k finished, but I don't know what the normal drop out numbers for a marathon would be.
    How do you feel today?

I've just got a touch of lingering soreness when I jog or walk down hill. Is that normal? I don't really know much about recovery. How do you feel?

I've just got a touch of lingering soreness when I jog or walk down hill. Is that normal? I don't really know much about recovery. How do you feel?
    I had a little soreness in my upper calves on Monday. By Tuesday it took a pretty good stretch to find soreness. Today I woke up with a little soreness in my right foot. That could have been something I did yesterday, I don't know.

As for "normal recovery," I haven't really seen a pattern other than as my overall conditioning has improved, my recovery is much faster. The first few marathons I ran, I was sore for three or four days.

One other thing has helped. I no longer worry about my times. I listen to my body and run accordingly. That way, I do no harm, and finish strong and with a smile.

The primary thing I do for recovery now is to eat a lot of meat and sleep about two hours more a day than I normally do. I start back immediately with rigorous rolling and stretching/yoga (even the day of the marathon). On the third day I hit the weight room with moderate whole body workouts. On Friday, I will be back on my ordinary training schedule.

+ Reply to Thread