+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Fishing

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

Kayak Fishing

Any bbb..er's out there do any kayak fishing? I was thinking of getting into this. I could also use it to do interesting camping adventures.

I was looking at buying a pescadore 12 if I can find one.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by louisiana_dog View Post
    Any bbb..er's out there do any kayak fishing? I was thinking of getting into this. I could also use it to do interesting camping adventures.

I was looking at buying a pescadore 12 if I can find one.
    Believe it or not, I logged on just now to start looking into this, and for one other reason that I'm about to post under deer season. I've been thinking about getting into kayak fishing for a little while now. Let me know what you find out. Also, for those looking for a good fishing app for their phone, download "Fishing Spots". It's a great app, and free. I don't know if there are any better because I haven't looked since downloading this one.

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

So far what I've found out is that the pescardore 12 is the exact same mold of the tarpon 120 2008 model. The tarpons run close to $900 while the cheapest price on the pescardore is $500 at Academy. From all the reviews it is one of the best for the money out there for a starter kayak. It only comes in red though. I ran into my boss at Academy while looking at them and he had some info on another kayak that was similar in nature....will get back with me this week on it.

My main concern is do I want something to stand up in, or something with more speed?

I figured I'd do more fishing if I had my own boat, and a kayak looks to be the lowest cost to it. I could still barrow my dad's boat if I wanted to take friends out...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by louisiana_dog View Post
    So far what I've found out is that the pescardore 12 is the exact same mold of the tarpon 120 2008 model. The tarpons run close to $900 while the cheapest price on the pescardore is $500 at Academy. From all the reviews it is one of the best for the money out there for a starter kayak. It only comes in red though. I ran into my boss at Academy while looking at them and he had some info on another kayak that was similar in nature....will get back with me this week on it.

My main concern is do I want something to stand up in, or something with more speed?

I figured I'd do more fishing if I had my own boat, and a kayak looks to be the lowest cost to it. I could still barrow my dad's boat if I wanted to take friends out...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1
    I did a little research myself and came up with the same thing you did. I've come to the conclusion that fishing is an expensive hobby/passion, and I'm going to have to find a used kayak if I want to pursue it. I have no problem with sitting in the boat while I fish. I wonder if you have to license it with Wildlife and Fisheries like you do a regular boat? I guess I can find out from them. Anyway, the other issue I have is taking my 9 year old. I can't leave him at home while I go out. I guess I could take the kayak out during the week while he's in school, and on weekends we can go back to our bank fishing. I already try to distance myself from him as much as possible because he's still trying to master the art of casting, so I don't know that I want to get a two person kayak and make the conversions so that it can be used for fishing and have him so close to me. I rather enjoy my eyes, and thanks to the Lord, they're still functioning nearly perfect. Maybe I can find a child's kayak and make conversions to it, so we can both have a boat. That way, he'll have to suck it up and bait his own hook and remove his own fish instead of whining to his mom.

One thing is for sure. If it's something we both pursue, we'll have to meet up at one of the lakes or bayous and try our hand at it.

Varsity Bulldog jellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the rough jellidawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I did a little research myself and came up with the same thing you did. I've come to the conclusion that fishing is an expensive hobby/passion, and I'm going to have to find a used kayak if I want to pursue it. I have no problem with sitting in the boat while I fish. I wonder if you have to license it with Wildlife and Fisheries like you do a regular boat? I guess I can find out from them. Anyway, the other issue I have is taking my 9 year old. I can't leave him at home while I go out. I guess I could take the kayak out during the week while he's in school, and on weekends we can go back to our bank fishing. I already try to distance myself from him as much as possible because he's still trying to master the art of casting, so I don't know that I want to get a two person kayak and make the conversions so that it can be used for fishing and have him so close to me. I rather enjoy my eyes, and thanks to the Lord, they're still functioning nearly perfect. Maybe I can find a child's kayak and make conversions to it, so we can both have a boat. That way, he'll have to suck it up and bait his own hook and remove his own fish instead of whining to his mom.
    Part A: Yes, fishing is expensive, but it pretty rewarding to be able to go out on the lake and enjoy a nice spring day (while catching an ice schest full of perch).
    Part B: It is my understanding that as long as you do not put an outboard motor on a boat, it doesn't have to be registered. At least that is what I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by jellidawg View Post
    Part A: Yes, fishing is expensive, but it pretty rewarding to be able to go out on the lake and enjoy a nice spring day (while catching an ice schest full of perch).
    Part B: It is my understanding that as long as you do not put an outboard motor on a boat, it doesn't have to be registered. At least that is what I was told.
    Thank you, jellidawg. I wonder if I can inflate my son's pool float and rig some floaters for an ice chest and equipment and attach it all together. Now that would be redneck.

I would probably go with some more along the lines of a canoe then dirtydawg. They are way more stable, and he can help row when he's around....but you should be able to handle it yourself. Plus you'll have all that space to put your things. I think jellidawg is right about the motor deal. I would look into wildlife and fisheries website. You can set yourself up pretty cheap buying used. Look for a good sturdy one that will last, and plan where to put it before buying it. They will last if you take care of it.

Let me know what you end up getting! I think I'll make my purchase around the end of March, for my birthday.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Make your own pirogue:

http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

I think Bobcat Boats down there around Gloster on Hwy 171 does/used to make 'em ..... Dave Thompson is the owner.

Ole Clyde went and got my interest piqued. I'm going to look into building one of these or maybe a canoe. I've got nothing else to do all day, so it'll keep me from going crazy(er) from just sitting inside watching t.v. and playing IPhone apps. all day. Except I'm going to get a book on boat making and read it. Do it all by scratch.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Ole Clyde went and got my interest piqued. I'm going to look into building one of these or maybe a canoe. I've got nothing else to do all day, so it'll keep me from going crazy(er) from just sitting inside watching t.v. and playing IPhone apps. all day. Except I'm going to get a book on boat making and read it. Do it all by scratch.

I think the Theodus' used to build boats around Ruston years ago. I believe his boy Pete/fireman still lives in the area. He might would give you some tips.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What boat did anyone get, and what do you think about it?

I never did pull the trigger on one. I kinda went the other way a went overload on fishing in a regular boat. I will say if you are really interested in kayak fishing, I hear nothing but great things about the pescadore 12. Academy may have one for $499, add on another $100 for outfitting.

+ Reply to Thread