+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer/TV question

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Computer/TV question

Okay, I am in the dark on this..... Hope someone can help. I bought this really nice 55" Smart TV a couple of weeks ago. I have it hooked to my Dish and BlueRay, plus can get Vierra Connect with lots of Apps on it - FB, Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, etc..... Got all that figured out.....

I want to hook my laptop to it, though. The TV is connected to the Internet with a MYFI and my laptop uses an aircard. The TV has an HDMI port and a friend sent me over several HDMI cables. My laptop does not have an HDMI output port, though. I don't know if I should be looking for a HDMI converter of some sort or something bluetooth (or if that might already be built into my computer or TV, anyway)..... I have a fairly new Fujitsu laptop (under a year old). Anyway, I am at a loss on how to connect it. Any help would be appreciated.

Warning: If you ask me technical questions, please know that I am not high tech savvy.... It might take me asking more questions to figure out what you are asking. :icon_wink:

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Computer/TV question

This is my way of getting my mind of of a horrible sports day yesterday - Saints, Techsters, and Dawgs........... Although, I really want to get this done, so I can watch the Techsters and Dawgs on my TV, instead of my computer.......

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

My wife bought me a converter at Radio Shack for Nevada game ($100) but if your TV is not wall mounted (if you can access the back) you can probably use VGA ( http://hookpctotv.com/laptop-vga-hd ) with the red/white audio.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

If you can post the models of your TV and laptop and we might be able to give you more specific advice. Sportdawg's solution (VGA and sound cables) is a simple, universal one though.

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    My wife bought me a converter at Radio Shack for Nevada game ($100) but if your TV is not wall mounted (if you can access the back) you can probably use VGA ( http://hookpctotv.com/laptop-vga-hd ) with the red/white audio.
    Thanks Sport! I went to Radio Shack and Best Buy and neither could tell me what I needed. Figures.... Depends on who you get at the store. So, is there a link that you could point me toward the converter. Mine is not mounted, but has ports on the side, as well, for when I mount it.

If I go VGA, what does it look like on the computer side?

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

I'm really surprised that your laptop doesn't have a HDMI out. My son's almost 3 year old HP laptop does. I guess each manufacturer has their priorities. I'm under the impression that almost every laptop has some form of video out. If your has a VGA, DVI or HDMI (not your case unfortunately) there is a always a cable out there that will allow you to tie into another monitor. I have had very good success with a company called monoprice. Some of the best cost around on HDMI cables but I recently purchased a DVI to HDMI cable for my second computer TV/monitor. Check them out to see if they have a cable that will work for you. Try http://www.monoprice.com . Remember, if you go with a VGA (laptop )to PC port (TV) you will need to add a second cable to get sound into your tv, assuming your laptop has a line out connection. Good Luck.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Thanks for this.

BIG help!!!!!!!! Thanks guys! I have all sorts of output places on my laptop, but don't know what is what, except for the USB's and the sound. The above links will help!!!!!!!! I am determined to get this before my son comes home next time, so I can say I did it without him knowing that I cheated by asking on here. shhhhhh..........

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    If you can post the models of your TV and laptop and we might be able to give you more specific advice. Sportdawg's solution (VGA and sound cables) is a simple, universal one though.
    Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook S751 http://www.fujitsu.com/hk/services/c...751/specs.html
    TV: Panasonic P555ST30 http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P55ST30

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

The DVI to HDMI plus the sound wire should do the trick. You might also look up which special function key (usually f8) transfers the video between the laptop, tv, and laptop + tv. Mine has HDMI and it works like a champ:icon_wink:
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    The DVI to HDMI plus the sound wire should do the trick. You might also look up which special function key (usually f8) transfers the video between the laptop, tv, and laptop + tv. Mine has HDMI and it works like a champ:icon_wink:
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! I do PowerPoints all the time with a projector, so I assume it is the same function key for video output.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Here is what my wife bought me - Amazon has some cheaper versions
    http://www.grandtec.com/products/video/xppro.html

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    You can go...
    DVI to HDMI - both digital outputs

You can not go...
    VGA to HDMI - vga is analog. You'll need a convertor.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-HDMI-Co...728964&sr=8-42
    This convertor will get you 720p from your laptop.

I haven't tried, but looks cool
    USB to DVI
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GHBW4S/...ackoverfl08-20

More THANK YOU's!!!!!!!!! So, I have a VGA output, apparently. That is what my projector connects with? Wonder if Best Buy has these or if I need to order?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    You can not go...
    VGA to HDMI - vga is analog. You'll need a convertor.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-HDMI-Co...728964&sr=8-42
    This convertor will get you 720p from your laptop.
    Are you talking about Champion110's setup? Why won't http://hookpctotv.com/laptop-vga-hd work?

+ Reply to Thread