+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing season 2012

Big Dog westdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the rough

Fishing season 2012

Figured the new thread needed to be started anyway.

I mainly just wanted to brag on my new combo though. My brother just made it in for Christmas, (he works flowbacks on oil and gas wells in Texas and rarely gets to come home), but he gave me my Christmas present last night. A Shimano Core 50MG7 reel paired with an Abu Garcia Veritas Micro Guide MH rod. It's by far the lightest combo and best feeling combo that I've ever had. Cant wait to find some bass this weekend.

On a side note, we tried the perch for the first time on Claiborne Friday night. Had schools showing up all over us on the scanner, but extremely slow on the bite. I had an old timer tell me the perch wont bite on the full moon. I don't perch fish much, so I haven't tested this theory out much. Anyone else believe this to be true.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Fishing season 2012

Quote Originally Posted by westdawg View Post
    Figured the new thread needed to be started anyway.

I mainly just wanted to brag on my new combo though. My brother just made it in for Christmas, (he works flowbacks on oil and gas wells in Texas and rarely gets to come home), but he gave me my Christmas present last night. A Shimano Core 50MG7 reel paired with an Abu Garcia Veritas Micro Guide MH rod. It's by far the lightest combo and best feeling combo that I've ever had. Cant wait to find some bass this weekend.

On a side note, we tried the perch for the first time on Claiborne Friday night. Had schools showing up all over us on the scanner, but extremely slow on the bite. I had an old timer tell me the perch wont bite on the full moon. I don't perch fish much, so I haven't tested this theory out much. Anyone else believe this to be true.
    Can't say much as to the perch statement, but I generally believe what most "old timer" fishermen say depending on what you consider "old timer." Although before he passed, my uncle, who was an avid fisherman, had many sayings that proved to be true. Wished I had written them down because I can't seem to remember his pearls of wisdom. You just always think they'll be around much longer.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Fished Claiborne yesterday. Caught: 6 Stripers, a gazillion yellow and whit bass (barfish), about 20 white perch and one huge bluegill. Fished tandem shiners down by the dam in 25-27 ft of water. Picked a few perch up on green/chartreuse jigs but mostly shiners. I can tell you that a 3-5 lb hybrid striper will just about wreck an ultralight perch rig...especially when a school of them comes through and all four rods start going down at once! Looked like a Japanese fire drill in my boat for about 10 minutes!
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Stopped at Claiborne on the way back from the signing day banquet with Shreveportdawg yesterday. Fished for a few hours and caught 10 fish: 3 big barfish and 7 perch. Most of the perch were SLABS however. Shiners in 27 ft water right on the bottom. Some other fellas fished between the timber edge and the dam and caught a box full but mostly hand sized perch.

A buddy of mine that fishes Caddo for bass said he's been wearing them out and they should really be up on the beds in the next week or so. The catfish are biting on the Red River as well.

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

You all suck. I really want to go bad, but have been crazy busy.

Looking to hit up sacalait and bass, I've got a two separate spots for each species I really want to go.

Though my lazy self can't wait till may-june, when the catfish start running where I love to fish. I just tie off to a bridge and sip lemonade....and wait.

***Plus I have a small complaint***
    What was up with the state moving back the required boating course from born after 1988 to 1984? This screwed me big time. One year, I was perfectly legal, now, I must have a class to be considered safe and within the law. I've been complaining and harping on this for months. The wildlife and fisheries agents are checking this year big time down here, and I don't blame them, it's their job to uphold the law. But...where does the state legislature say that I am no longer responsible enough to drive a boat without a course? I have driven boats since I was 16. I have a drivers license, I have a pilots license.....but not responsible enough to take the old man's boat......And don't say "its only a 2 hr class or free online..." ....it is the principle of the matter.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Congrats to our fishing team for winning the tournament at Sam Rayburn Reservoir.

http://www.fishingworld.com/News/Read.php?ArtID=000031007

ULM loses...again!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I hit the Bass Master Classic this weekend and had a great time. That is one event (maybe the only one) Shreveport/Bossier doesn't screw up. They did it right.

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    I hit the Bass Master Classic this weekend and had a great time. That is one event (maybe the only one) Shreveport/Bossier doesn't screw up. They did it right.
    I hit the Expo Friday, followed KVD around Sullivans all day Saturday and went to the weigh-in Sunday. Good times.

I'm heading to Claiborne for Sun/Mon fishing. Any local insight on to how deep the perch are now? I may even try for some bass.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

They have been lined up in a row in the deep water all week when I get home from work....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

That's because they always fly my cousin and his team in from Atlanta to do it when it's been in Shreveport. He did the Olympics in Atlanta also. He does everything that comes through Atlanta and has toured with what seems like everyone. He is touring with Phish (again) this summer. I am very jealous of him. All I get are T-shirts.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    I'm heading to Claiborne for Sun/Mon fishing. Any local insight on to how deep the perch are now? I may even try for some bass.
    I'm hearing reports of people catching them shallow. There are probably several different patterns going on right now as the weather warms.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Think I'll start shallow (6 pack) and after lunch move a little deeper (little bourbon and some help from Charlie Coyle). I hate fishing deep as I am a cork/cane pole addict. I'll give a full report on Monday. I can guarantee some goood grub on Sun night if there are any takers.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    That's because they always fly my cousin and his team in from Atlanta to do it when it's been in Shreveport. He did the Olympics in Atlanta also. He does everything that comes through Atlanta and has toured with what seems like everyone. He is touring with Phish (again) this summer. I am very jealous of him. All I get are T-shirts.
    Please tell your cousin he did an awesome job last week!

+ Reply to Thread