+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Service in Ruston

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Wireless Service in Ruston

Who's the best? Does Tech offer wireless for students and if so how much?

Varsity Bulldog bulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nice bulldogengr's Avatar

Re: Wireless Service in Ruston

cell or internet?

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

If it's cell...alltel and cingular is pretty good except over by Barnett Springs/Maple. It's a dead spot for both carriers. Not sure about Sprint/Nextel cell coverage.

Internet. There's no provider for wireless internet that I know of...on Tech campus you can prob get coverage like in the business building and maybe the student center. They have hot spots there.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Cell phone, I say cingular (AT&T), no matter what. I've been through many a provider, and haven't had one that comes close.

As far as internet goes, in the dorms, we have free "high-speed" internet. The university has it's own wireless system for those with laptops. It's difficult to pick up in some dorms, but for the most part is pretty convenient. Just.........so........................slow.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

My Blackberry (via AT&T) held up a like a champ all four years I was in Ruston.

So, AT&T.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

I use Verizon, and though it is "extended network" (meaning no web access or sending/receiving pics and videos) the coverage has been better than that experienced by my classmates with Cingular/AT&T and Alltel. My Cingular friends have dropped calls all the time in Ruston.

For wireless internet, there is pretty good coverage all over campus, but it is pretty dang slow.

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

Tech internet has always been SLOW. I can remember the good ol' dial up days before cable internet was available in my area. I would rather go without than deal with 14.4k again. I'd get Suddenlink and split the bill with some friends or something.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BulldawgBB View Post
    Tech internet has always been SLOW. I can remember the good ol' dial up days before cable internet was available in my area. I would rather go without than deal with 14.4k again. I'd get Suddenlink and split the bill with some friends or something.
    Which is what many of us do. Along with it being slow, the server tends to be a bit unreliable.

Puppy linds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the ears linds_Marie's Avatar

I just went for Helio... (today) So far I LOVE it. I'm not sure yet how coverage is in ruston... but I work there alot so I'm sure I'll be finding out soon.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Who's the best? Does Tech offer wireless for students and if so how much?
    As I understand it, MD, was curious how students accessed the internet and how much, i.e. does Tech's student technology fee provide students with "free" access.
    Us Dads of college daughters don't want to spend more dollars on college than we should, you know.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Thanks for the info. guys.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AG_jr View Post
    Which is what many of us do. Along with it being slow, the server tends to be a bit unreliable.
    The new wired connection on campus is pretty slick, though. It has its moments of unreliability, but when it is up it is incredibly fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    The new wired connection on campus is pretty slick, though. It has its moments of unreliability, but when it is up it is incredibly fast.
    So they finally got the new server up, then? I had heard rumors of it during the year last year, but haven't heard anything of it since.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by AG_jr View Post
    So they finally got the new server up, then? I had heard rumors of it during the year last year, but haven't heard anything of it since.
    Its a new Internet connection. LONI (Louisiana Optical Network Interface) is the name of the network. The old connection is feeding one portion of campus and LONI the others, I think the old connection (T3 from AT&T is serving the campus and LONI the dorms and the West side of campus). Could be vice versa...

JFord

Puppy Doy22 is an unknown

Thank you for the thread.. Even I need to buy a wireless broad band connection... I stay in Ruston.... Which one you will perefer......

+ Reply to Thread