+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take me out to the ballgame

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Take me out to the ballgame

Recently, AG and I got into a heated debate on the words to "Take me out to the ballgame". As dumb as it sounds, I really am curious how everyone thinks it is supposed to be sung. AG is under the impression that the line "Root Root Root for the hoooome teeam..." is just a placeholder for whatever team you root for (in our case, Root Root Root for the Bulllldogs). I have never heard the song presented that way and I don't think too many others have either.

Please respond.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Re: Take me out to the ballgame

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../26609940.html

Ask Jeff Gordon and 40 thousand Cubs fans, they'll tell you.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

As originally written in 1908. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/po_stmo.shtml

"Take me out to the ball game,
    Take me out with the crowd.
    Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
    I don't care if I never get back,
    Let me root, root, root for the home team,
    If they don't win it's a shame.
    For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
    At the old ball game."

I've been to many major league stadiums for games and in most venues the words "home team" is replaced by "Astros" or "Cubbies", etc. As far as I can recall, every MLB game I've attended has used this song during the 7th inning stretch.

I don't think the words "home team" were originally written as a placeholder. This use of the team name has evolved over the years.

Many folks in my section of seats want to belt it out during the 7th inning stretch at TECH games because this is traditional. The 7th inning stretch traditionally happens before the home teams bats in the bottom of the 7th and not at the top of the 7th as was done at a game vs. Arkansas. I will substitute Bulldawgs for home team when singing just because I want to support my team.

I sing "Astros" instead of "Cubbies" when watching games at Wrigley field. Normally, I sing the name of the home team unless they are playing the Astros.
    Last edited by HoDo-Tech70; 02-14-2007 at 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

It is NOT a placeholder. Home Team is the correct lyric, but yes, most teams have replaced it with their team name, as they should.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

My dad does PA at Tulane and sings it every 7th inning. I believe he says Home Team, although many call the mthe "Greenies."

BTW, why don't we do this?

JFord

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OmahaDawg View Post
    It is NOT a placeholder. Home Team is the correct lyric, but yes, most teams have replaced it with their team name, as they should.
    OmahaDawg, do you know of any MLB or minor league teams that do not play this song during the 7th inning stretch?

According to the Baseball Almanac article linked in my earlier post:

Harry Caray, who is credited with singing it first at a ball game in 1971, once said, "I would always sing it, because I think it's the only song I knew the words to!" OnOpening Day in 1976 Bill Veeck noticed the fans were singing along with Caray so a secret microphone was placed in the broadcast booth the following day to allow ALL the fans to hear him. Veeck explained to Caray, "Harry, anybody in the ballpark hearing you sing 'Take Me Out to the Ball Game' knows that he can sing as well as you can. Probably better than you can. So he or she sings along. Hell, if you had a good singing voice you'd intimidate them, and nobody would join in!"

I love the song. I want to sing it at TECH games. Go DAWGS!!!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dawg View Post
    Recently, AG and I got into a heated debate on the words to "Take me out to the ballgame". As dumb as it sounds, I really am curious how everyone thinks it is supposed to be sung. AG is under the impression that the line "Root Root Root for the hoooome teeam..." is just a placeholder for whatever team you root for (in our case, Root Root Root for the Bulllldogs). I have never heard the song presented that way and I don't think too many others have either.

Please respond.
    Don't listen to AG. He thinks JOakes is doing a good job.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Don't listen to AG. He thinks JOakes is doing a good job.
    Don't listen to Dirtydawg, he's just an old, bald guy who has trouble making Vettewrecker take out the trash. No one sings "home team."

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    Don't listen to Dirtydawg, he's just an old, bald guy who has trouble making Vettewrecker take out the trash. No one sings "home team."
    Wow someone needs to set AG up with the witness protection agency after that comment. I'm not as worried about Dirtydawg (or his new nickname of Double D) as I am with Vettewrecker.

Anyway AG it doesn't matter if no one sings "home team." Everyone just sings it wrong. Home team is the correct lyrics. Teams change it to their team. So under your logic if everyone started singing a song wrong then it becomes right. Like in the alma mater with the whole baby part that was added by students. Not in the lyrics.
    Last edited by Juice752; 02-14-2007 at 10:07 AM.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    Wow someone needs to set AG up with the witness protection agency after that comment. I'm not as worried about Dirtydawg (or his new nickname of Double D) as I am with Vettewrecker.

Anyway AG it doesn't matter if no one signs "home team." Everyone just sings it wrong. Home team is the correct lyrics. Teams change it to their team. So under your logic if everyone started singing a song wrong then it becomes right. Like in the alma mater with the whole baby part that was added by students. Not in the lyrics.
    You're absolutely, right Juice. (for once) I can't be held responsible for any reply forthcoming from Vette in her or my defense. Actually, I don't think she reads this folder, though, so AG might be in good shape.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    OmahaDawg, do you know of any MLB or minor league teams that do not play this song during the 7th inning stretch?

I have been in baseball 12 years and at ALL games I have worked or attended, this song has been played. I even use it in the middle of the 4th inning when we play two (2) 7-inning games (and yes this included playing it at ALL LaTech home games when I worked there in 1996-98)

2005 Bowl Confidence Contest Champion LaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the rough LaTechRandy's Avatar

Since 9/11 many teams now utilize God Bless America or some other patriotic song in lieu of Take me out to the Ball Game...BTW, AG is right on the lyrical question.

Randy,

You are correct that song is used, but have you not heard both? That is the way our clubs use it and others I have visited. GBA is played upon ght final out and then back to regular programming with 7th Inning Stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by LaTechRandy View Post
    Since 9/11 many teams now utilize God Bless America or some other patriotic song in lieu of Take me out to the Ball Game...BTW, AG is right on the lyrical question.
    You're kidding right. Maybe you didn't read HoDo's post with the original lyrics in it.

+ Reply to Thread