+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Growing Student Interest in Athletics

Varsity Bulldog techdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud of techdawg28's Avatar

Growing Student Interest in Athletics

Is there anything we can do to grow the interest of our student body in our teams? Obviously we have the dedicated fans like us, but I'm tired of seeing the football game over the break have a vacant student section when we're playing a huge game against our biggest rival (and most students seem to not even care about hating anyone). Basketball it's hard to get anything until late in the season, and even then most of the students seem like they aren't paying attention. No one shows up to Lady Techster games, etc.

Any ideas?

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

Re: Growing Student Interest in Athletics

It's apparent you aren't going to get much help from the AD, so it's going to probably be a student-led effort.

I think the LBN group is a good starting place. Does it market itself on campus to the everyday student? It seems to me as a guy who only graduated a few years ago and now sits on the opposite side of JAS, that student participation/attendance has declined since I left.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Over a 10 to 15 year period the student section had grown and built momentum. It was mostly a grass roots effort being slightly fed by our Admin.. Our Admin has completely ignored the students (COYHCSH has too) for the past 3 to 4 years. Our AD is focusing on "major donors" and our marketing is blaming the students for lack of support because they don't respond to social media and all the classes they took in marketing say that is the way we do things now. IMO, COYHCSH paying special attention to the student body is what we need.

Varsity Bulldog techdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud of techdawg28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dowty View Post
    It's apparent you aren't going to get much help from the AD, so it's going to probably be a student-led effort.

I think the LBN group is a good starting place. Does it market itself on campus to the everyday student? It seems to me as a guy who only graduated a few years ago and now sits on the opposite side of JAS, that student participation/attendance has declined since I left.
    I'm not sure how much "marketing" LBN really does. We have a group message on GroupMe, but a lot of the people that were initially added left and there's only a handful that talk regularly. LBN is active on Twitter, at least. I guess it could do better, though.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techdawg28 View Post
    I'm not sure how much "marketing" LBN really does. We have a group message on GroupMe, but a lot of the people that were initially added left and there's only a handful that talk regularly. LBN is active on Twitter, at least. I guess it could do better, though.
    If its the same thing I'm thinking of, isnt it a student led org? Then it doesnt need to do the marketing in the first place.

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    If its the same thing I'm thinking of, isnt it a student led org? Then it doesnt need to do the marketing in the first place.
    It's student led, but if it's going to attract more students, it's going to have to market itself. Maybe not in the same way that Tech should market its athletic teams, but flyers, small events on campus, etc. would probably go a long way. It needs to be more than just a small core group of students.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Over a 10 to 15 year period the student section had grown and built momentum. It was mostly a grass roots effort being slightly fed by our Admin.. Our Admin has completely ignored the students (COYHCSH has too) for the past 3 to 4 years. Our AD is focusing on "major donors" and our marketing is blaming the students for lack of support because they don't respond to social media and all the classes they took in marketing say that is the way we do things now. IMO, COYHCSH paying special attention to the student body is what we need.
    I agree. TMac needs to take more of a Bernie Sanders approach (lots of small donors as opposed to few large donors) if he really wants to expand the base. He should pay just enough attention to the upper level group to keep them interested and donating to certain causes (DAC, press box, etc.) and spend the rest of his time selling himself to the lower level folks, which make up a much larger percentage of fans.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I agree. TMac needs to take more of a Bernie Sanders approach (lots of small donors as opposed to few large donors) if he really wants to expand the base. He should pay just enough attention to the upper level group to keep them interested and donating to certain causes (DAC, press box, etc.) and spend the rest of his time selling himself to the lower level folks, which make up a much larger percentage of fans.
    Our AD is not capable of glad handing. While he seems to be a nice person, he is not one to mix and mingle with the common folk. He never has and there is no reason to think he ever will. That's just not who he is. Problem is the people he hires don't do it either. Other than Solomon Randle and Tyson Baldwin (not sure who hired him) his peeps just don't mix at games or tailgates.

We need Holtz involved in this.

Holtz absolutely should be involved. It's no stretch to say that beyond the Prez, he is probably the most recognizable and reputable person at Tech.

I know the AD can't hold that spot because the students don't have enough money for him to be seen around them.

I know the AD can't hold that spot because the students don't have enough money for him to be seen around them.
    Remember him sitting with the students at the MBB game when he first arrived? Most of us thought that was a great sign.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

It's student led, but if it's going to attract more students, it's going to have to market itself..
    Do not paint yourself blue, dress up in costumes, and stumble charge the field.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Remember him sitting with the students at the MBB game when he first arrived? Most of us thought that was a great sign.
    Yes, I do remember that. I guess once he started getting invited to all the "in" parties with the big wigs, it got to his head a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Why not? That exactly what I had in mind...

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    We must never forget ...

... that this made sense to someone at one time.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Ouiiallst, I will ever loyal be.

Varsity Bulldog ETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of light ETxBullDawg's Avatar

Set up beer pong tournament JAS West Side vs East Side: 3-Periods: Pre-Game, Half Time and End of Game!!!!
    https://www.tenor.co/view/beerpong-r...up-gif-4438211

+ Reply to Thread