+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Guice fiddles as Tech football burns

Bulldog jycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the ears

Re: Guice fiddles as Tech football burns

Best concert I ever saw in Memorial Gym was Harry Chapin. He performed there twice between 77-81. I remember the "floor" rushing toward the stage when he started and he just looked out, laughed, and said "Guys, we are gonna be here a while. Everyone sit and have a good time". Guy played for a very long time each time he performed. Because he was also raising money for his charity, he would sign a book of his lyrics after each concert. Stayed hours after his concert finished. One of my best stories came from a UB member that was assigned to pick him up at the airport. He was used to bands that wanted all of the lockers covered in the dressing rooms, had to ensure the finished product didn't look like a locker room, etc (certain types of M&Ms in certain bowls, etc. etc.). When they picked Harry up in the Shreveport airport, all he requested was a hot meal, location to be picked by the driver. From those 2 concerts, followed him until his untimely death.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Opening night in the TAC on December 4, 1982, was a doubleheader loss. Women to USC and men to USL. And that was after the I-AA semifinal loss to Delaware that started the day.
    I was at all three games...
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    Wow. I assuming these shows were in Memorial Gym?

I don’t know who was running Union Board in the 80s but they were amazing. Seems I heard the UB President had some real connections.

Peter Frampton (my first concert and first time I smelled weed LOL), Hall and Oates in Memorial Gym. Then when TAC opened: Chicago, LeRoux (one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen), Gap Band with Midnight Star opening. Starship with The Outfield opening. I know I’m forgetting a lot, help me remember any of my 80s friends.
    Cheap Trick, Billy Squier, Jimmy Buffet and Saga were some of the ones I remember from the early 80's. All in the TAC.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    I was there for both games.
    I was too but I could swear our dawgs won. Maybe I was just so impressed with young Malone and team that I just remember a win. 🤪

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    Best concert I ever saw in Memorial Gym was Harry Chapin. He performed there twice between 77-81. I remember the "floor" rushing toward the stage when he started and he just looked out, laughed, and said "Guys, we are gonna be here a while. Everyone sit and have a good time". Guy played for a very long time each time he performed. Because he was also raising money for his charity, he would sign a book of his lyrics after each concert. Stayed hours after his concert finished. One of my best stories came from a UB member that was assigned to pick him up at the airport. He was used to bands that wanted all of the lockers covered in the dressing rooms, had to ensure the finished product didn't look like a locker room, etc (certain types of M&Ms in certain bowls, etc. etc.). When they picked Harry up in the Shreveport airport, all he requested was a hot meal, location to be picked by the driver. From those 2 concerts, followed him until his untimely death.
    Did you know he attended the US Air Force Academy?

Bulldog jycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Yes I did. I believe he alludes to that in the Taxi line "I was gonna learn to fly". (think I read that somewhere).

Yes I did. I believe he alludes to that in the Taxi line "I was gonna learn to fly". (think I read that somewhere).
    Yeppers

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Until he passed, we would do free concerts for USAFA

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I seem to recall Harry Chapin playing The Coffeehouse. The old dive underneath the cafeteria...Morrison's???

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I seem to recall Harry Chapin playing The Coffeehouse. The old dive underneath the cafeteria...Morrison's???
    I was there from 77-81 and I don't remember that one. I only saw him in Memorial Gym. I would think it would be too many people for The Coffeehouse, but it could have happened before my time.

While sad, when I saw how Chapin died (car crash in his VW bug), I thought he was pretty much true to the end. Freely admit his music wasn't for everyone (my wife hates it when I play his music), but he was a classic.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I was there from 77-81 and I don't remember that one. I only saw him in Memorial Gym. I would think it would be too many people for The Coffeehouse, but it could have happened before my time.

While sad, when I saw how Chapin died (car crash in his VW bug), I thought he was pretty much true to the end. Freely admit his music wasn't for everyone (my wife hates it when I play his music), but he was a classic.
    One of the great story tellers IMO. My dad talked about him playing at Memorial Gym when he was at Tech.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

We may have a non-existent sports program budget drain and tanking academics, but by golly Guice has his finger on the real priorities: a giant modernist hellsculpture.

https://1894.latech.edu/2021/02/27/s...entury-campus/

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    We may have a non-existent sports program budget drain and tanking academics, but by golly Guice has his finger on the real priorities: a giant modernist hellsculpture.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

I had missed the announcement but it arrived on campus today if you'd like to avoid it.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post

I assume the artist, Curtis Pittman, is a Tech grad...right?

+ Reply to Thread