+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: for those who complain about the shorthand "La Tech"

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: for those who complain about the shorthand "La Tech"

Quote Originally Posted by Lotsudo View Post
    How bout JUST Louisiana Tech!
    That's fine with me, but for many things "Louisiana Tech" is too long. We have to have an acceptable abbreviation, and "Tech" is not distinctive enough for people outside of Louisiana.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

LAH Tech, however you capitalize it, is weak. When we embraced it, we opened a Pandora's box of confusion...we've reaped what we sowed.

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    That's fine with me, but for many things "Louisiana Tech" is too long. We have to have an acceptable abbreviation, and "Tech" is not distinctive enough for people outside of Louisiana.
    I live in Texas...you say Tech they automatically assume it's Texas Tech! If you live in Virginia and you say Tech they assume it's Vaaaaah Tech. If you live in Georgia and you say Tech they assume you're talking about Georgia Tech. Lah Tech, El Ah Tech...who gives a rat's a$$ because I've never heard of a Los Angeles Tech which by the way is "Los Angeles Trade-Technical College" (that's a mouth full...no TWSS's) a vocational school there in the El Ah area that no one is going to confuse with El Ah Tech, Lah Tech, or Louisiana Tech.

PLEASE...let's move forward with more important things that will put Louisiana Tech University above and beyond the status quo. A name does not make a "branding" but results do both athletically and more importantly academically! Go DAWGS! Louisiana Tech DAWGS....

See ya'll Saturday.

Champ Tdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the rough Tdawg87's Avatar

How bout JUST Louisiana Tech!
    THIS

Varsity Bulldog DawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

SO UM, I live in Los Angeles and NO ONE IN THE FREAKING WORLD thinks LA Tech is LOS ANGELES Tech!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! That is the most "i live inside a really small box" thing I have ever heard! Louisiana Tech is a DI school. If random Joe in Podunk South Dakota turns on ESPN or Fox Sports 1 and sees Kansas vs. LA Tech, he's not going to think it's Los Angeles Tech.... really. Don't be so freaking stupid. Yes - stupid.

I'm sure the "Don't write it LA Tech" folks are the same ones that were fighting us being called LA Tech in the first place (back when I was in school, this was a HUGE ISSUE!) LA is the proper journalistic and US postal code abbreviation for Louisiana. La Tech is French for a feminine Tech.

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

06, I appreciate what you do and bring to the forum for those of us who don't have ready access to the goings on in Ruston. But my complaint is we don't have to be creative and sexy to create an identity. I live outside of the state of Louisiana and have for the last 25 years because of military service with the exception of seeing family in Shreveport during the holidays. Believe me when I tell someone that I'm an El Ah Tech, Lah Tech, Louisiana Tech grad...they know who I'm talking about. From my perspective, it seems that the ones that have the problem are the ones who have not ventured outside of the state or have limited their exposure outside of North Central Louisiana. An additional syllable or two is not going to make a difference. Louisiana Tech University is already an established name. Why in the hell do you think ULALALA is try to grab the "Louisiana" moniker?

Quote Originally Posted by DawgGoneMad View Post
    SO UM, I live in Los Angeles and NO ONE IN THE FREAKING WORLD thinks LA Tech is LOS ANGELES Tech!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! That is the most "i live inside a really small box" thing I have ever heard! Louisiana Tech is a DI school. If random Joe in Podunk South Dakota turns on ESPN or Fox Sports 1 and sees Kansas vs. LA Tech, he's not going to think it's Los Angeles Tech.... really. Don't be so freaking stupid. Yes - stupid.

I'm sure the "Don't write it LA Tech" folks are the same ones that were fighting us being called LA Tech in the first place (back when I was in school, this was a HUGE ISSUE!) LA is the proper journalistic and US postal code abbreviation for Louisiana. La Tech is French for a feminine Tech.
    Preach it brother!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

La Tech is French for a feminine Tech.
    Correct. Tech is like a beautiful woman, to be loved and cherished and softly caressed.

So you can be sure that anyone who writes LATech prefers dudes.

Varsity Bulldog DawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawgGoneMad Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Correct. Tech is like a beautiful woman, to be loved and cherished and softly caressed.

So you can be sure that anyone who writes LATech prefers dudes.
    La Tech. Zee Disposable Douche for Vemen.

I mean guys, really? The only people bothered by this still are from Choudrant. MOVE ON. Tx Tech??? NOPE

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

This debate needs to happen in person.
    I feel like some people that think they are agreeing are actually typing a disagreement. I can't tell who likes or dislikes what! I just wish we all would know what it is the school is recognizing as acceptable.

written = spoken
    Louisiana Tech = Louisiana Tech (we all like and understand. School Recognized)
    La Tech = Lah Tech (BBB is split. School Recognizes as official, I think) (used to mean the feminine of Tech, which is why some dislike)
    LA Tech = (letter) L (letter) A Tech (what we all were told 20-30 years ago was the correct way to say it) (Is someone at the school using this still?)
    LATech = WTF? Latch? Is there a difference between the one with a space and the one without? I'm completely confused on this one other than it's a misspell.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

I never said people would confuse LA Tech with Los Angeles Tech. I said it was all about the pronunciation. LA is a two-letter postal code. LA is pronounced El Ay, not Lah. Our admin wants people to say Lah Tech, but their visual brand reads El Ay Tech. Thus, the visual brand contradicts the verbal brand. That's very poor branding.

Again, LA is not the proper journalistic abbreviation. All credible media outlets use the AP abbreviation (La.), not the postal code.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 09-27-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    This debate needs to happen in person.
    I feel like some people that think they are agreeing are actually typing a disagreement. I can't tell who likes or dislikes what! I just wish we all would know what it is the school is recognizing as acceptable.

written = spoken
    Louisiana Tech = Louisiana Tech (we all like and understand. School Recognized)
    La Tech = Lah Tech (BBB is split. School Recognizes as official, I think) (used to mean the feminine of Tech, which is why some dislike)
    LA Tech = (letter) L (letter) A Tech (what we all were told 20-30 years ago was the correct way to say it) (Is someone at the school using this still?)
    LATech = WTF? Latch? Is there a difference between the one with a space and the one without? I'm completely confused on this one other than it's a misspell.
    Many people think what the admin recognizes as acceptable (LA Tech and LATech) was ill-conceived, and that's why this discussion comes up all the time.

Here are the different camps:

1. People who are against having an abbreviation for Louisiana Tech except for Tech.

2. People who support the LA Tech and LATech brand.

3. Sheeple who support whatever our admin does (LA Tech and LATech).

4. People who think the A should be lower cased so the visual representation matches the verbal pronunciation (La Tech or LaTech).

5. People who think the visual and verbal representations of our University's name are not important and don't care how our name is typed or spoken.

Then there are probably subgroups based on various visual and verbal interpretations and maybe more main groups. The groups likely aren't mutually exclusive either.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 09-27-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Champ techblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to behold

06, I appreciate what you do and bring to the forum for those of us who don't have ready access to the goings on in Ruston. But my complaint is we don't have to be creative and sexy to create an identity. I live outside of the state of Louisiana and have for the last 25 years because of military service with the exception of seeing family in Shreveport during the holidays. Believe me when I tell someone that I'm an El Ah Tech, Lah Tech, Louisiana Tech grad...they know who I'm talking about. From my perspective, it seems that the ones that have the problem are the ones who have not ventured outside of the state or have limited their exposure outside of North Central Louisiana. An additional syllable or two is not going to make a difference. Louisiana Tech University is already an established name. Why in the hell do you think ULALALA is try to grab the "Louisiana" moniker?
    Have you ever told someone that you are a El Ay Tech grad? I seriously doubt you have. Think about this for a second. El Ay Tech doesn't even sound right. Everyone that went to Tech says Lah Tech or Louisiana Tech when talking about their school. When the university uses LA Tech it confuses the issue and undermines what the university ultimately wants to be called, Lah Tech. If I just said L A what would be the first thing that came to your mind? My bet is Los Angeles. We are getting El Ay Tech'd more and more because of our inconsistent branding. I have heard it from recruits, media, and when talking with strangers in passing. It's amazing what power the case of one letter can hold.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

I never said people would confuse LA Tech with Los Angeles Tech. I said it was all about the pronunciation. LA is a two-letter postal code. LA is pronounced El Ay, not Lah. Our admin wants people to say Lah Tech, but their visual brand reads El Ay Tech. Thus, the visual brand contradicts the verbal brand. That's very poor branding.

Again, LA is not the proper journalistic abbreviation. All credible media outlets use the AP abbreviation (La.), not the postal code.
    To underscore your point...take TECH completely out of the convo for a second. ANYTIME I've written a communication (email, text, etc) and mentioned my office is in "LA" --- inevitably, I'm asked how bad the traffic is, if I know any movie stars, or if I'm in Orange County so they'll know which airport to fly into. I kid you not. "LA" (outside of addressing an envelope) is Los Angeles, not Louisiana.

Champ Bill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant future

Parlez vous français? Didn't think so.

+ Reply to Thread