+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UALR football?

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Re: UALR football?

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    <--- Well this guy is from El Dorado and chose Tech over Arkansas.

Also, I knew no one who went to UALR from El Dorado. UALR now has a few dorms, but it's largely a commuter school.
    Because Tech had a much better band program...yes?

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    Because Tech had a much better band program...yes?

Correct! Definitely, part of the decision.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    As I think more about this ... it's probably already been decided.

Either they're not gonna do it, and this study is just to show that they did their due diligence; OR

they're gonna do it, and this study is just to show that they did their due diligence.

(Not to be cynical or anything ... I've just been in the public sector in LR for awhile now.)
    I'd bet you are right on the money.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    If I'm not mistaken according to its bylaws the Sun Belt would have to take them as a full conference member. They truly do have a clear path into the FBS.

At the same time it was just a year ago when Karl Benson was touting the fact the league was at its perfect number - 10 for football - after adding CCU and dropping NMSU and Idaho. If they were to stay at 10 I wonder who they would replace?
    UTA's president continues to totally dismiss adding football (he has this talking point down cold, since he gets asked all the time -something like "as soon as we hit X million in endowment we'll talk about it"). So a balancing team won't be coming from Arlington.

Because if it impacts anybody in the state of Arkansas it would impact Arkansas State and Central Arkansas, not Fayetteville.
    I bet ASU and UCA are not amused by the idea.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

More in-depth story:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/jul/13/feasibility-of-ualr-football-to-get-stu/

UALR has relied on donations to support athletic ventures. The university was able to construct a new basketball arena for the 2005-06 season because of a $22.4 million gift from the late businessman Jackson T. Stephens, and in January 2016, the Coleman family, owners of the former Coleman Dairy company, agreed to donate nearly 8 acres for the university to build a new baseball field and sports complex.

The Razorbacks have played football games at War Memorial Stadium since 1948. Under its current agreement with War Memorial Stadium, UA-Fayetteville will play one game in the Little Rock stadium through the 2018 season. It is unknown what will happen afterward.

UA Athletic Director "Jeff Long has to make some decisions on football games at War Memorial, and there may be some value in this process in how this decision is made," Stodola said.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

I posted yesterday in another thread that it would shock me if the Sun Belt presidents and Benson haven't been aware of this for at least the past year and given it their quiet endorsement. And keep in mind Benson believes 10 is the perfect number for Belt football. From the story I posted:

"UALR has received assurance from the Sun Belt Conference that if it does create a football team, the team will have a spot within the conference."

As Dwayne said, for ULM the clock is ticking.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    What does the governor say?
    DemGaz piece today says Gov "supports the study".

I posted yesterday in another thread that it would shock me if the Sun Belt presidents and Benson haven't been aware of this for at least the past year and given it their quiet endorsement. And keep in mind Benson believes 10 is the perfect number for Belt football. From the story I posted:

"UALR has received assurance from the Sun Belt Conference that if it does create a football team, the team will have a spot within the conference."

As Dwayne said, for ULM the clock is ticking.
    He may say 10 is the perfect number (he's wrong, it's 9) but that doesn't mean he'd kick someone out to get there. Seems more likely they'd bring back NMSU (or another school leveling up or Liberty or someone) to go to 12 than to drop a member within the geographic footprint.

But you never know.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    He may say 10 is the perfect number (he's wrong, it's 9) but that doesn't mean he'd kick someone out to get there. Seems more likely they'd bring back NMSU (or another school leveling up or Liberty or someone) to go to 12 than to drop a member within the geographic footprint.

But you never know.
    The MINIMUM budget noise is the real warning signal in this whole situation, it's a by-law specifically aimed at ULM and if it passes...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

I'm from El Dorado. I came here instead of Arkansas or Miss. State. UALR was a non factor. Like stated above, it's mostly a commuter school and the part of town that it is in isn't very attractive.

I do know several Tech grads that moved back up there and give Tech no thought. Bandwagon pigs fans.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    I'm from El Dorado. I came here instead of Arkansas or Miss. State. UALR was a non factor. Like stated above, it's mostly a commuter school and the part of town that it is in isn't very attractive.

I do know several Tech grads that moved back up there and give Tech no thought. Bandwagon pigs fans.
    Not being a pigs fan in Little Rock can make one sort of a social outcast, much the way not being a Tiger fan in Baton Rouge can if you allow it to. I give people in those kind of situations a pass if they become what I call "social fans" of the local team. Still, there's no excuse for a Tech grad's losing his passion for Tech, no matter where he lives.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

UALR/UArkansas with football would be no different than UAB/UAlabama.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    UALR/UArkansas with football would be no different than UAB/UAlabama.
    Imagine the uproar when UALR finally wins against the Hogs

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    Not being a pigs fan in Little Rock can make one sort of a social outcast, much the way not being a Tiger fan in Baton Rouge can if you allow it to. I give people in those kind of situations a pass if they become what I call "social fans" of the local team. Still, there's no excuse for a Tech grad's losing his passion for Tech, no matter where he lives.
    I've been to a few Ark game watching party, I just watch the game. It's hard for me to get overly excited for a school that I have no connection with. Folks here know that I rep Louisiana Tech.

Regarding UALR football, no one will go watch them on a Saturday especially if Arkansas is playing. It's like LSUS trying to start a football team. UALR students have no pride in their school, they have coined it University of Last Resort.

+ Reply to Thread