+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Op/Ed: The Independence Bowl is in trouble

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Re: Op/Ed: The Independence Bowl is in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    Is there a reason that our relationship soured with the IBowl? I never understood the 2012 snub.

What reason do they have not to like Tech? Seems odd since we were accused of being in cahoots with them in 2009.
    Read the thread in pawdawgs post.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    And still LaTech fans support the crap bowl. Since the lsu/notre dame BS, my support is nil unless my Dawgs are playing!

#iwilleverloyalbeunlikesome
    Exactly!!

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    And still LaTech fans support the crap bowl. Since the lsu/notre dame BS, my support is nil unless my Dawgs are playing!

#iwilleverloyalbeunlikesome
    For me it was the 2012 situation that broke my support, but I'm in the exact same place. If the Dawgs aren't playing there, I don't care.

I don't think Tech was blameless in what happened, but during the process it became clear to me there was some kind of attitude toward Tech within the committee and with Ms Setters. I've had enough of this apparent second class citizen perception of Tech. All I can do is vote with my pocketbook and that's what I do.

Maybe they'll look at the info that's come out in the last couple of days on how Tech is performing from the perspective of success on the field, TV viewership in the CUSA championship & bowl games and travel attendance and reevaluate. CUSA & Tech could be really good for the I Bowl. If ANY CUSA team was playing at the I Bowl, I'd be interested in going because I've gotten to where I follow the entire conference. But frankly, I don't give a damn about an SEC/ACC matchup and I WON'T GO!

I'm Steve Koskie and I approve this message.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Keep your friends close, your enemies closer...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Keep your friends close, your enemies closer...
    CHC has no enemies. He is a flower child.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

As I posted somewhere else, the I-Bowl would be smart to enter into a contract with CUSA/AAC/Belch to fill one side of the matchup, and the Big 12/SEC on the other side. Theory being they can try to create a regional matchup where fans can drive to Shreveport...at least as much as possible. May not be possible to always fill both sides from a regional school. They also need to get their pay-out up. $1.1 million doesn't cut it today.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    They also need to get their pay-out up. $1.1 million doesn't cut it today.
    Especially when they screw the non contract schools. If I remember correctly they don;t pay the G5 type schools the regular payout. That's reserved for the bottom feeders of the SEC/ACC.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    For me it was the 2012 situation that broke my support, but I'm in the exact same place. If the Dawgs aren't playing there, I don't care.

I don't think Tech was blameless in what happened, but during the process it became clear to me there was some kind of attitude toward Tech within the committee and with Ms Setters. I've had enough of this apparent second class citizen perception of Tech. All I can do is vote with my pocketbook and that's what I do.

Maybe they'll look at the info that's come out in the last couple of days on how Tech is performing from the perspective of success on the field, TV viewership in the CUSA championship & bowl games and travel attendance and reevaluate. CUSA & Tech could be really good for the I Bowl. If ANY CUSA team was playing at the I Bowl, I'd be interested in going because I've gotten to where I follow the entire conference. But frankly, I don't give a damn about an SEC/ACC matchup and I WON'T GO!

I'm Steve Koskie and I approve this message.
    Along these lines, I think ALL CUSA fans should do their best to attend the HOD bowl. They have been very very good to us and it would look awesome to see 1000's of Tech blues in the crowd.

I really tried to go this year but family stuff got in the way. It's soooo easy to attend if you're in DFW. Just hop the DART train and buy a cheap ticket.

I'm making a statement now. From here on out, I'm attending the HOD bowl as long as they are tied to Tech's current conference.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

"The Independence Bowl lost $1.5 million over 2014 and 2015".

Has the Indy Bowl actually lost $1.5 million in cash? If so who is funding the shortfall?

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    You are correct. Former LSU golfer Missy Setters is the Executive Director of the I-Bowl committee, and has been since 2006. She has been a member of the I-Bowl staff since 1996, serving previously as the "Media Relations Manager". Setters is married to a former LSU football player (Ross Setters) and is very vocal about her support for LSU. Furthermore, she's down right hostile towards LA Tech. We know this because after LA Tech was twice snubbed by the Indy Bowl in 1997 (9 wins) and 1999 (8 wins), Missy Setters used to visit this very board (BB&B) and spar with us about why LA Tech wasn't worthy of an Indy Bowl invite.

Yep. Right here on BB&B folks.

MISSY SETTERS is the real reason the Indy Bowl screwed over a 9-3 LA Tech back in 2012. Setters was NOT happy that the school she hates most --LA Tech-- appeared to be the best option for her Indy Bowl fan base that year. So she gave Tech's leadership a very short fuse to respond to an invite. She issued the invite to Tech on a Friday night/Saturday morning, and demanded an immediate answer from LA Tech. When LA Tech officials responded by asking for 24 hours (in order to let that Saturday's games be played out to gauge the Liberty Bowls interest in Tech), Missy Setters --as Executive Director of the Indpendence Bowl-- pulled LA Tech's Indy Bowl offer off the table.

For most LA Tech fans that were also long time supporters of the Indy Bowl, this was the final straw. Missy Setters and the Indy Bowl committee had crossed a line and jilted a very worthy LA Tech team when it was obvious that the Bowl's alternatives were NOT better. It smacked of being spiteful. This failed move by Setters and company only worked to further erode the Indy Bowl's local support amongst LA Tech fans living in the Shreveport area. And as it turns out, LA Tech fans made up a significant portion of the Indy Bowl's supporters, and the Bowl's poor decisions had done irreparable damage to its own fan base.

Missy Setters is the problem. She always has been the problem, and it's amazing to me that the good people of Shreveport just can't see it. My message to the Shreveport community and the I-Bowl is: It's okay to change LEADERSHIP every decade or so folks. Missy Setters has been around too long and needs to go. The Independence Bowl is desperate for fresh, new leadership.

Unfortunately for the people and businesses of Shreveport-Bossier, Missy Setters is slowly, steadily, killing their Independence Bowl.

http://campingworldindependencebowl.com/about-us/staff/

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ory?id=2306222
    Winner, winner . . . .
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    "The Independence Bowl lost $1.5 million over 2014 and 2015".

Has the Indy Bowl actually lost $1.5 million in cash? If so who is funding the shortfall?
    Ate into the few reserves they had
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Ate into the few reserves they had
    Thanks. Assuming that 2016 is not good, their pot must be getting empty. I guess the funds collected from the sales taxes will keep them limping along.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Especially when they screw the non contract schools. If I remember correctly they don;t pay the G5 type schools the regular payout. That's reserved for the bottom feeders of the SEC/ACC.
    That is correct. Their payouts to G5 schools are lower than to P5 schools. I don't remember by how much, though. Should be located in audits filed with Louisiana Legislature Auditor online.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Let the Toilet (Indy) bowl die!!!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    You are correct. Former LSU golfer Missy Setters is the Executive Director of the I-Bowl committee, and has been since 2006. She has been a member of the I-Bowl staff since 1996, serving previously as the "Media Relations Manager". Setters is married to a former LSU football player (Ross Setters) and is very vocal about her support for LSU. Furthermore, she's down right hostile towards LA Tech. We know this because after LA Tech was twice snubbed by the Indy Bowl in 1997 (9 wins) and 1999 (8 wins), Missy Setters used to visit this very board (BB&B) and spar with us about why LA Tech wasn't worthy of an Indy Bowl invite.

Yep. Right here on BB&B folks.

MISSY SETTERS is the real reason the Indy Bowl screwed over a 9-3 LA Tech back in 2012. Setters was NOT happy that the school she hates most --LA Tech-- appeared to be the best option for her Indy Bowl fan base that year. So she gave Tech's leadership a very short fuse to respond to an invite. She issued the invite to Tech on a Friday night/Saturday morning, and demanded an immediate answer from LA Tech. When LA Tech officials responded by asking for 24 hours (in order to let that Saturday's games be played out to gauge the Liberty Bowls interest in Tech), Missy Setters --as Executive Director of the Indpendence Bowl-- pulled LA Tech's Indy Bowl offer off the table.

For most LA Tech fans that were also long time supporters of the Indy Bowl, this was the final straw. Missy Setters and the Indy Bowl committee had crossed a line and jilted a very worthy LA Tech team when it was obvious that the Bowl's alternatives were NOT better. It smacked of being spiteful. This failed move by Setters and company only worked to further erode the Indy Bowl's local support amongst LA Tech fans living in the Shreveport area. And as it turns out, LA Tech fans made up a significant portion of the Indy Bowl's supporters, and the Bowl's poor decisions had done irreparable damage to its own fan base.

Missy Setters is the problem. She always has been the problem, and it's amazing to me that the good people of Shreveport just can't see it. My message to the Shreveport community and the I-Bowl is: It's okay to change LEADERSHIP every decade or so folks. Missy Setters has been around too long and needs to go. The Independence Bowl is desperate for fresh, new leadership.

Unfortunately for the people and businesses of Shreveport-Bossier, Missy Setters is slowly, steadily, killing their Independence Bowl.

http://campingworldindependencebowl.com/about-us/staff/

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ory?id=2306222
    AMEN! Just wondering what it will take to change the leadership. Seems we have been saying the same thing for years now. I have not supported the Indy Bowl since we last played in it and we saved their butts that year. They then turned their backs again. They didn't learn - we have moved forward and left them in the dust.

+ Reply to Thread