+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: UTEP and Rice Talking to MWC

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Rice, UTEP being mentioned as Mountain West discusses expansion

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I agree that it is not a necessity. It is just one of those old rivalries that I like. I do understand the importance of Rice, as well. I would like to stick with teams that have name recognition. In our current conference, that would be Southern Miss, Rice, UTEP, and Marshall. The AAC certainly has more of them and the MWC does, as well. Personally, I don't care anything about being associated with N. Texas, UTSA, the F-U's, MTSU, and WKU (although, surprisingly, WKU is the least objectionable to me). ODU is even okay....... There are certain names (and we have a name like this) that people know.
    I have a very different view of North Texas. After Rice, I'd say North Texas is the second most important school we should stick together with (if Tulane, SMU, and Houston are not options). I'd put Southern Miss right behind those schools. I think those DFW and Houston markets are so important to us, and it's imperative that our conference has a strong Texas presence.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I have a very different view of North Texas. After Rice, I'd say North Texas is the second most important school we should stick together with (if Tulane and SMU are not options). I'd put Southern Miss right behind those schools. I think those DFW and Houston markets are so important to us, and it's imperative that our conference has a strong Texas presence.
    I would argue that SMU would be a better partner in DFW for us than NTx!!!

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    I would argue that SMU would be a better partner in DFW for us than NTx!!!
    That's why I said if SMU isn't an option. If SMU is an option, then obviously we would prefer SMU to North Texas.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: UTEP and Rice Talking to MWC

Quote Originally Posted by Built4Speed View Post
    Lolwut? Apparently Memphis got their hands on some of whatever Lafayette's been smoking.
    Memphis has pretty much unlimited resources with FedEx and Autozone Chairmen/CEO's being in their ring of influence as well as Chairman Emeritus of Sak's. Corporate money flies around LABG's reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Memphis has pretty much unlimited resources with FedEx and Autozone Chairmen/CEO's being in their ring of influence as well as Chairman Emeritus of Sak's. Corporate money flies around LABG's reputation.
    Yep. My guess is that Cincy and Memphis are next in line. That's why UH is going all out spending all that money to try to jump one of them. UH doesn't add a new market to the current Big 12, and UH has Texas politics working against them.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    The folks at UH are doing everything they can - money wise and winning to be positioned for when the B12 expands! I personally think it will happen and some of their BIG Donors - ie - John Moores, Tillman Fiertita, etc. will pony up millions! I also think that Cincy will go with them as a travel partner for WVU.

If that happens, I would like to see the AAC folks look to shore up their league with 16 solid G5 schools and maybe look like this;

East - UConn, UMass, ECU, Marshall, Temple, Navy, Army, Memphis
    West - SMU, Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, UCF, USF, So Miss, La Tech

Solid football and should be a three invite team to NCAA's in bball! I know Memphis and Tulane would not love it, but survival may be a bigger motivator???? More than likely they would just add UMass & Rice for TV markets and to keep their Champ Game, but 16 team leagues maybe the next Big Thing, if the B10 does it????
    Was listening to a roundtable of college football writers in D/FW who cover the Big12 and A&M on the radio about a week ago. The overwhelming consensus was Houston offers the Big12 NOTHING they don't already have. They all said they would be shocked to see Houston invited. They listed all these positive things that are going on with UH's football program and said at the end of the day it doesn't matter. They agreed with you and said the Big12 REALLY wants a travel partner for West Virginia (Cincy) and even though it has been brought up before they said BYU will be a front runner. They even said UCF would be invited over UH.

Now that being said, this was responding to a UH fan who called in asking about expanding to 12. IF the Big12 was going to 14 or 16 I think UH would be invited.

But they have a HUGE TV contract now. They just mandated tougher Non Con schedules so they won't be left out of the playoffs. I don't see why you split the pie further unless the school you are splitting it with increases the TV contract by at the amount you are giving up by inviting them.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Was listening to a roundtable of college football writers in D/FW who cover the Big12 and A&M on the radio about a week ago. The overwhelming consensus was Houston offers the Big12 NOTHING they don't already have. They all said they would be shocked to see Houston invited. They listed all these positive things that are going on with UH's football program and said at the end of the day it doesn't matter. They agreed with you and said the Big12 REALLY wants a travel partner for West Virginia (Cincy) and even though it has been brought up before they said BYU will be a front runner. They even said UCF would be invited over UH.

Now that being said, this was responding to a UH fan who called in asking about expanding to 12. IF the Big12 was going to 14 or 16 I think UH would be invited.

But they have a HUGE TV contract now. They just mandated tougher Non Con schedules so they won't be left out of the playoffs. I don't see why you split the pie further unless the school you are splitting it with increases the TV contract by at the amount you are giving up by inviting them.
    As I posted earlier in this thread, you do it now in order to have options. Proactive rather than reactive.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. My guess is that Cincy and Memphis are next in line. That's why UH is going all out spending all that money to try to jump one of them. UH doesn't add a new market to the current Big 12, and UH has Texas politics working against them.
    This is the most accurate post in this thread. Houston is spending like a drunken sailor because they know where they are in the pecking order.
    Last edited by The Historian; 12-15-2015 at 12:30 AM.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a very different view of North Texas. After Rice, I'd say North Texas is the second most important school we should stick together with (if Tulane, SMU, and Houston are not options). I'd put Southern Miss right behind those schools. I think those DFW and Houston markets are so important to us, and it's imperative that our conference has a strong Texas presence.
    I don't see the value of N. Texas. They are in the metro area, but haven't developed the name and no market share. In Texas, UNT is still thought of as a Sun Beltish team. I didn't include SMU, Houston, Tulane, etc... as I was just mentioning current CUSA members in my post. There are many AAC and MWC programs with name recognition that i would love to be associated with......

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

I don't see the value of N. Texas. They are in the metro area, but haven't developed the name and no market share. In Texas, UNT is still thought of as a Sun Beltish team. I didn't include SMU, Houston, Tulane, etc... as I was just mentioning current CUSA members in my post. There are many AAC and MWC programs with name recognition that i would love to be associated with......
    I think that is the key for us going forward - associating ourselves with AAC & MWC schools when we can!!! Given the right circumstances, I see Tech as more a peer to SMU, Co STate, New Mexico, Air Force, Wyoming, San Diego, the fellow former WAC'ers and of course, Rice, USM and Marshall - from C-USA. The schools we are with now such as FIU, FAU, Charlotte, ODU, W Ky, Mid Tn, UTSA, etc. don't have the name recognition or 'star power' - in my humble opinion.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw this AM that that the MWC is not going to expand, at least now.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Rice, UNT, and USM are the schools I like being associated with. North Texas is a sleeping giant in many ways and they help us out a lot in the Dallas market.

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    Rice, UNT, and USM are the schools I like being associated with. North Texas is a sleeping giant in many ways and they help us out a lot in the Dallas market.
    See what KSDawg said. It's very important that Tech has a presence in DFW, and North Texas provides that platform for us since SMU isn't an option right now. We have a relatively large alumni base in DFW for which playing North Texas provides opportunities for alumni engagement, and it's an easy trip down the interstate for other alumni. DFW is a hotbed for recruiting athletes, and competing against UNT helps us recruit those athletes. It also helps us recruit future students because DFW is central to Tech's strategy to boost our enrollment. I think all of that is far more important to Tech's future than Southern Miss' damaged reputation.

North Texas has everything they need to be successful. UNT has plenty of money, large enrollment, great demographics, strong recruiting base, excellent facilities, phenomenal band, good conference fit, and decent academics. Lack of success due to bad hires is the only thing I see that's holding them back. I think UNT has a strong president but probably needs a new AD. It shouldn't take long for the Mean Green to get things rolling again.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

I'm assuming we are discussing the spot after UL-L gets in?

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

North Texas has also added a law school, it's in downtown Dallas, but it will eventually reap them some benefits. They are also investing in a branch campus in Frisco. It will start with a few classes and keep expanding, eventually to offer graduate classes.

+ Reply to Thread