+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UTEP Coach Kugler Gone

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Re: UTEP Coach Kugler Gone

I'm not worried about losing Skip until he starts beating the big boys.
    Go Tech!

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Rumor is that Sonny Dykes wants the UTEP job.

Regarding Skip... I think you guys are pretty safe. His tenure at USF will make any P5 school think twice and I don't see him leaving for another G5 job. And by the time he really redeems himself, he'll probably be too old.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Skip is going nowhere.

There is not a P5 school anywhere that would take that chance. Talk about a risk.

The guy at SMU (Chad Morris) will get a serious look especially if A&M comes open.

UTEP might be a good landing spot for Sonny D.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    Skip is going nowhere.

There is not a P5 school anywhere that would take that chance. Talk about a risk.

The guy at SMU (Chad Morris) will get a serious look especially if A&M comes open.

UTEP might be a good landing spot for Sonny D.
    Don't sell Skip short. If he wins 10 or 11 games this year I could see Skip receiving an offer from a P5 where he has some kind of attachment --for example, Arkansas. But it would have to be a school that's more interested in building a program than just winning games. Skip's dad coached at Arkansas, so consequently I'm sure the Holtz family maintains some interest in the area. BTW, if Skip had beaten South Carolina last week, I would have added the Gamecocks to this list. But he lost, so he'll probably never get that call.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    Rumor is that Sonny Dykes wants the UTEP job.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

UTEP is one of those tough jobs for a coach. But, Sonny Dykes could probably do well enough, like win 6 or 7 games with an exciting brand of football, lots of 52-50 type games, to generate some interest.

As for Skip Holtz, one would think some struggling P5 (like a Kansas, Iowa State, Indiana, etc..) would see him as a good hire. And, I would think he would do "well" in such a job. Now, how do you define "well?" Programs like that seem beyond the capacity to achieve true sustained success. Skip would probably get a Kansas or Indiana to 7 wins and into a minor bowl most years. For those programs, that would be doing "well."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Maybe Dykes will come back to Ruston as an assistant. He always said he loved Ruston.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Skip would probably get a Kansas or Indiana to 7 wins and into a minor bowl most years. For those programs, that would be doing "well."
    I'm not sure he would, to be honest. At this point, I'm not sure anyone this side of a superstar could. Except Mark Mangino.

But I guess I could maybe see one of those schools making an offer, for lack of a more desirable candidate.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Don't sell Skip Holtz short. He is what he is, and that's a good coach. I dare say, a very good coach. He is also his own worst enemy insomuch that some of the attributes that make him a good coach hinder him from becoming a great coach.

What does it take to win (and by "win" I mean 6 or 7 games) at a program like Kansas or Indiana? Is it because they are both "basketball schools" that they can't also win in football? Is that what afflicts Duke as well, even though they have a "good" coach in Cutcliffe? Skip Holtz is a good recruiter and has those intangibles that will attract some very good players, and his personality makes kids want to play for him.

BUT! if Holtz goes to such a P5 school and enjoys some success the fan base, alumni, big donors want more! Winning 7 games and bowling is okay for the first couple of years, but then they demand 10+ wins, a Top 25 ranking, and beating the big boys in their conference. Kind of like some of us are looking for here...

Yes, it is true! While we acknowledge his success here, and appreciate winning 9 games, and three straight bowls, we ask...."is there nothing more?" That is part of sports, part of what it means to be a fan (FANatic). And....so? Why shouldn't fans (competitors) want more? I'd be worried for anyone who was genuinely satisfied staying where they are.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Good post D80. But meanwhile, I see that Price is back at UTEP as interim coach. I remember he went to Alabama for a non season, but where did he come from? Wasn't he "there" at Alabama before that TCU coach that went on to A&M and directly after the guy we beat in 1999?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

He came from Wazzu...

Franchonne was at Bama - he came there from TCU and left Bama for A&M and just "retired" from Texas State

Dubose was at Bama when we beat them in 97 & 99...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Varsity Bulldog Docman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to all

Mike Price has been rehired to take the UTEP job.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, DFM. I googled Mike and found that he was successful at Washington State before being hired at Alabama. I also wondered what happened to Francionne since I saw he wasn't at Texas State any more. I believe he started his head coaching career at Texas State (then SW Texas State) before going to TCU. I actually believe he followed Wacker both places. I think Texas State named their stadium after Wacker.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Don't sell Skip short. If he wins 10 or 11 games this year I could see Skip receiving an offer from a P5 where he has some kind of attachment --for example, Arkansas. But it would have to be a school that's more interested in building a program than just winning games. Skip's dad coached at Arkansas, so consequently I'm sure the Holtz family maintains some interest in the area. BTW, if Skip had beaten South Carolina last week, I would have added the Gamecocks to this list. But he lost, so he'll probably never get that call.
    I just wanted to bump this thread to reiterate...

Skip Holtz WILL NEVER GET AN OFFER ANYWHERE ELSE. EVER.

He’s content with 7-8 wins and bowl game. Apparently we are too.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    I just wanted to bump this thread to reiterate...

Skip Holtz WILL NEVER GET AN OFFER ANYWHERE ELSE. EVER.

He’s content with 7-8 wins and bowl game. Apparently we are too.
    If he thinks he can get to 6 let alone 7 with this team he's fooling himself. At least he's got a job here forever.

+ Reply to Thread