+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What would have greater implications for LaTech next year?

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Re: What would have greater implications for LaTech next year?

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    We were good both years, 1997 and 1999. From memory we were 9-2 in '97 and then 8-3 in '99 with losses to #1 Florida State, Texas A&M, and Southern Cal. We beat SEC Champion Bama. 1998 was a 6-6 year, when we lost to Top 10 Tulane to close out the year. No bowls any of the years, but the strangest thing was we probably came closer to a bowl bid in 1998 (were being considered) if we beat Tulane and finished 7-5. We didn't, so a moot point. And, I'm not sure where we were on that bowl's list....which was some western bowl. Maybe the Vegas Bowl if it were around then, or some similar bowl.

In '98 we lost to Tulane, a 9-2 UCF, aTm, Auburn, Wyoming, and....West Virginia, I think. When you look at who we used to play OOC, it's amazing to me that our Sunshine Pumpers give Holtz a pass for non-conference schedules like: NSU, South Alabama, Moo State, and SC. Not that both SEC opponents this year were not good, they were! But it's hardly the grind like we used to endure.

Anyway, back to the topic, as I said, except for the inescapable in-state stuff, LSU is just another good SEC team we have to face on the road, with their refs, etc.... Don't elevate it past that.
    I was at Florida State game-- to this day my friend Bob comes to Tech Football games with me . My friend Pat and I flew out to the S Cal game, we stayed for entire game -Terry B lasted about 20 minutes and I remember a section of Coleseum did NOT stand for anthem-- I know I went to AM game but do not remember much about it ( was it one of the rainstorm games?)

As a Sunshine Pumper I remember the total destruction at the money games-- I assume AD sets the schedule . I personally like the WAC teams-they just seemed to get more attention. Problem is I start every season giving coach a pass on our 2 money games-- after that I want a 10 win season and conference and bowl. Problem is CUSA teams are paying coaches a million and recruiting a lot of talent also ( 247 has us ranked #2 recruiting this year) I just refuse to ignore the money issues and small city problems we face every season. Holtz has done a great job recruiting and juggling coaching staff. In fairness to the schedule we just are not going to get "name brand" teams to Ruston-- we once were able to get decent teams to play in Shreveport but usually for 2/1 . It is just my personality to deal with reality whether I like it or not. I will say this, if we are not playing for CUSA title this year I will be disappointed --

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    Thats just bitter thinking. Of course they try.
    Call me whatever you want but I have 0 faith that Holtz can do this. He's welcome to prove me wrong.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    I was at Florida State game-- to this day my friend Bob comes to Tech Football games with me . My friend Pat and I flew out to the S Cal game, we stayed for entire game -Terry B lasted about 20 minutes and I remember a section of Coleseum did NOT stand for anthem-- I know I went to AM game but do not remember much about it ( was it one of the rainstorm games?)

As a Sunshine Pumper I remember the total destruction at the money games-- I assume AD sets the schedule . I personally like the WAC teams-they just seemed to get more attention. Problem is I start every season giving coach a pass on our 2 money games-- after that I want a 10 win season and conference and bowl. Problem is CUSA teams are paying coaches a million and recruiting a lot of talent also ( 247 has us ranked #2 recruiting this year) I just refuse to ignore the money issues and small city problems we face every season. Holtz has done a great job recruiting and juggling coaching staff. In fairness to the schedule we just are not going to get "name brand" teams to Ruston-- we once were able to get decent teams to play in Shreveport but usually for 2/1 . It is just my personality to deal with reality whether I like it or not. I will say this, if we are not playing for CUSA title this year I will be disappointed --
    Cmon 65, without your sunshine to light my shadow, where would we be!?

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    Thats just bitter thinking. Of course they try.
    Oh I think we all know they try, but just how important are the non conference games to HCSH? You have to wonder sometimes if the games that are important to fans are important to HCSH at all, HCSH needs to win some of these big games and that is all there is to it.

A win at LSU would be very significant, it would do wonders for our program and our University all the way around, that is of course if it didn't make some La Lawmakers so mad they tried to retaliate through funding cuts! Yes, we have Lawmakers that are that big of an idiot and that big of LSU homers.

Back to the point, as bad as I hate it, LSU runs the athletic business in this state and they would like for it to remain that way and it will do so as long as we do not pull out a win against them occasionally. The bandwagon fans still look at us as if we are Northwestern, ULM. etc., many think we are actually in another NCAA division. A win against LSU would do more for us than a conference championship and as much as a really good bowl game. A win at LSU is paramount to us getting some street cred and interest from some of our dormant alumni and North Louisiana undecided.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I believe beating good P5 schools regularly would enhance the perception that we are not Northwestern, ULM, etc. I don't want to lose against LSU but I also don't want to lose to South Carolina, Arkansas, Mississippi State or A&M. The Northwesterns, ULMs etc also play P5 schools but with that one exception of ULM over Alabama, they rarely win. As long as we just play the P5s without winning we deserve to be lumped together with the ULXs and NSU. The last time we beat multiple P5s was 2012 when we beat Illinois and Virginia, but we lost to A&M.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I believe beating good P5 schools regularly would enhance the perception that we are not Northwestern, ULM, etc. I don't want to lose against LSU but I also don't want to lose to South Carolina, Arkansas, Mississippi State or A&M. The Northwesterns, ULMs etc also play P5 schools but with that one exception of ULM over Alabama, they rarely win. As long as we just play the P5s without winning we deserve to be lumped together with the ULXs and NSU. The last time we beat multiple P5s was 2012 when we beat Illinois and Virginia, but we lost to A&M.
    Almost all G5's rarely win against P5 competition. That includes us.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

[QUOTE=HogDawg;1683546]Me too. A win over LA State in B.R. would give LA Tech street cred in the state of Louisiana that no other state school has ever been able to achieve. Beating STATE would finally prove to many people that the product in Ruston is just as good as the product in Baton Rouge. Why drive all the way to BR, pay all that money for tickets, etc..and fight all that traffic, just to watch a football team that can't even beat a north Louisiana team located 60 miles or less away in Ruston?

Yep, a win over LA STATE would truly impact LA Tech's football program and reputation perhaps like no other win could, including a big bowl win.[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a true trailer park trash college football fan in Louisiana.

Except those that really worship at the altar of tiggerism, like supporters of some FCS school that played in BR and they said, they hoped it was a good game, but that LSU won because a loss by LSU would be far more damaging to them, than it would to the FCS school. They actually rooted against their own team/school such that LSU wouldn't be damaged. Amazing.

I am surprised, HD, by your descent into this small-mindedness. Yeah, I'm so sure all those recruits in Dallas will leap to sign with Tech after we beat LSU. Of course, should we beat a Bama (again...), UGA, Auburn....why that wouldn't motivate recruits to sign with Tech, but OMG! beat LSU and the sky's the limit! Really?

I 100% guarantee it won't cause a single "bent on playing at LSU" recruit to switch to Tech. Maybe, just maybe, some kid who was thinking of signing elsewhere (not LSU) and was a 3-star+ kid, might be influenced by such a win to switch to Tech. Maybe....

As for the average CFB fan in Louisiana, it will further drive a wedge between Tech and the bandwagoners out there who will be mad at us for daring to beat the darling tiggers. The HATE will grow by leaps and bounds. As will the envy and jealously among certain groups.

But, that's okay, for any of you who elevate LSU to some mystical status. Not me. They are what they are, a good SEC football program, with all the advantages that includes. But, nothing more.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

1a. Access Bowl- Right now this is the ultimate goal. I think this would do more to legitimize our previous success than anything else and would be a factor next time conference realignment comes around. Unlikely to happen without beating LSU, but this is a hypothetical.
    1b. Beat LSU- besides an access bowl, this would have the biggest positive impact in recruiting and perception within the state. It's been 100 years or so. It's not like a win would suddenly make us #1 in the state, but it would change perception for the last holdouts who believe we aren't the clear #2.
    3. Top 25 ranking to finish the season- We have had top 25 rankings before, but ending the season in the top 25 would be a big milestone for the program.
    4. Conference championship- Been there done that (not in CUSA), but this is still a big accomplishment and would be nice to add to the collection
    5. Top 25 win- We need more of these.
    6. 10+ win season- Need some of these
    7. Bowl win- Always a nice way to finish the season.
    8. Bowl game- At least we finished 6-6 or better and got to go to a bowl game.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    1a. Access Bowl- Right now this is the ultimate goal. I think this would do more to legitimize our previous success than anything else and would be a factor next time conference realignment comes around. Unlikely to happen without beating LSU, but this is a hypothetical.
    1b. Beat LSU- besides an access bowl, this would have the biggest positive impact in recruiting and perception within the state. It's been 100 years or so. It's not like a win would suddenly make us #1 in the state, but it would change perception for the last holdouts who believe we aren't the clear #2.
    3. Top 25 ranking to finish the season- We have had top 25 rankings before, but ending the season in the top 25 would be a big milestone for the program.
    4. Conference championship- Been there done that (not in CUSA), but this is still a big accomplishment and would be nice to add to the collection
    Good stuff here

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    I concur

Bulldog DD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her game

I didn't take the time to read other's post once I saw the question! No brainer! BEAT THOSE BASTARDS IN BATON ROUGE! I don't care if it's the ONLY win!!!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD Dawg View Post
    I didn't take the time to read other's post once I saw the question! No brainer! BEAT THOSE BASTARDS IN BATON ROUGE! I don't care if it's the ONLY win!!!
    Little wonder we cannot make real progress.....

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

[QUOTE=dawg80;1683722]
    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Me too. A win over LA State in B.R. would give LA Tech street cred in the state of Louisiana that no other state school has ever been able to achieve. Beating STATE would finally prove to many people that the product in Ruston is just as good as the product in Baton Rouge. Why drive all the way to BR, pay all that money for tickets, etc..and fight all that traffic, just to watch a football team that can't even beat a north Louisiana team located 60 miles or less away in Ruston?

Yep, a win over LA STATE would truly impact LA Tech's football program and reputation perhaps like no other win could, including a big bowl win.[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a true trailer park trash college football fan in Louisiana.

Except those that really worship at the altar of tiggerism, like supporters of some FCS school that played in BR and they said, they hoped it was a good game, but that LSU won because a loss by LSU would be far more damaging to them, than it would to the FCS school. They actually rooted against their own team/school such that LSU wouldn't be damaged. Amazing.

I am surprised, HD, by your descent into this small-mindedness. Yeah, I'm so sure all those recruits in Dallas will leap to sign with Tech after we beat LSU. Of course, should we beat a Bama (again...), UGA, Auburn....why that wouldn't motivate recruits to sign with Tech, but OMG! beat LSU and the sky's the limit! Really?

I 100% guarantee it won't cause a single "bent on playing at LSU" recruit to switch to Tech. Maybe, just maybe, some kid who was thinking of signing elsewhere (not LSU) and was a 3-star+ kid, might be influenced by such a win to switch to Tech. Maybe....

As for the average CFB fan in Louisiana, it will further drive a wedge between Tech and the bandwagoners out there who will be mad at us for daring to beat the darling tiggers. The HATE will grow by leaps and bounds. As will the envy and jealously among certain groups.
    Perhaps your worst post of ALL-TIME. No one ever accused you of being smart, but that post smacks of a little man hunkered down in Natchitoches who just doesn't understand the big picture. You seem more worried about angering all the LA STATE fans who live near you than you do in actually getting the win. Man up for once, and tell your "trailer park trash" neighbors that Tech is going to kick STATE's tale and serve it up on a platter for 'em to choke on.

[QUOTE=HogDawg;1683878]
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

Perhaps your worst post of ALL-TIME. No one ever accused you of being smart, but that post smacks of a little man hunkered down in Natchitoches who just doesn't understand the big picture. You seem more worried about angering all the LA STATE fans who live near you than you do in actually getting the win. Man up for once, and tell your "trailer park trash" neighbors that Tech is going to kick STATE's tale and serve it up on a platter for 'em to choke on.
    You missed the mark....again.

The "big" picture is little ole, "we're not worthy" Tech making the LSU game our "Super Bowl?" Really? Is that what you're advocating?

Nah, except for a couple of other posters who agree, I am dead-on right, and you are wearing the "little man" label.

No thanks, LSU is just another game on our schedule. Nothing more.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

It's not really about LSU as much as it is about perceptions for me. I don't have a problem with LSU at all. My problem is with the LaTech alumni and other sports fans in this region who strive to identify with LSU because it makes them feel more accomplished or something. Seems like "hey, my school just beat the school I always pull for" could knock some sense into folks. Maybe not.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

+ Reply to Thread