+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 84 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1260

Thread: The (LA Tech/LSUS) Merger Thread II

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: The (LA Tech/LSUS) Merger Thread II

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    He did mention that.....in fact, he said it's providing much needed cash flow for LSUS. But, I see LSUS's "on-line" program remaining sustainable, regardless of who's in charge. In other words, the "on-line" program doesn't have to go away simply because LA Tech is in charge.

However, if LA Tech and LSUS don't merge, LSUS appears to be at risk of becoming a full-time, on-line diploma mill, ala University of Phoenix, etc... Especially if they keep losing on-campus students at the current rate. They'll become a business, rather than a true university. I'm not familiar with LSUS's current accreditation's...but some of those have to be at risk if things are as bad as we're hearing. But more importantly, I don't see how the on-line program helps local Shreveport businesses and the surrounding community any more than it helps someone living 500 miles away.
    LSUS Chancellor Clark will sell this in the next few days to show the growth of LSUS. We know this online program just help keep the lights on for the campus. It has no real impact locally.

The problem with getting folks to vote for this bill is that the reps in South Louisiana will think it attacks the flagship somehow.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Clark threw his own student body under the bus when he said 1/3 of LSUS's applicants couldn't get admitted under LA Tech's more stringent admission standards. LOL!
    Those students need to start out at BPCC anyway

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    LSUS Chancellor Clark will sell this in the next few days to show the growth of LSUS. We know this online program just help keep the lights on for the campus. It has no real impact locally.

The problem with getting folks to vote for this bill is that the reps in South Louisiana will think it attacks the flagship somehow.
    The bigger problem will be the North Louisiana delegation that worships the Purple and Piss

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I spent my first two years at LSUS trying to help contribute to the development of a culture there. It was an abysmal failure and I ended up transferring to Tech like I should have done straight out of high school. LSUS at the time and still is a commuter school with the worst sense of identity that I have ever seen. We attempted to found fraternities there and it never took root. We tailgated at the baseball games because they were the only sport we had and it got no traction. When we got basketball, the coach and AD worked so hard to insulate themselves from the rest of the school that they never drew a fan base. There were no dorms and no on campus meeting places outside of the Conference Center. There was simply no culture whatsoever at LSUS. I found this to be a symptom of the City as a whole. Shreveport doesn't even know what state its in half the time. Half are Saints fans and half are Cowboys fans. LSUS does whatever it can to latch itself onto anything it can to legitimize itself as a school, but the reality is that its an apathetic place for kids who don't want to leave home to go to college or older adults more interested in just finishing their degree without all the hoopla.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I don't see the purpose of LSUS sports. You have a physical enrollment of 2k and shrinking, it's a commuter school, lack of school spirit (folks think they are Tigers and not Pilots).

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

I think a healthy online degree population is an important component to a university today. It's important to have a strong brick and mortar location still, but more and more universities have found out that the online programs produce revenue and expand the brand of your university to areas that might not have been before.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

A summary of how bad Larry Clark's news conference was yesterday.

Capture1.PNG

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Cedric Glover is the Lone Ranger on this. I don't think this would have come up again if stake holders weren't at least knowledgeable if not supportive. I've said it before, I think the Baton Rouge school is less interested in having a state-wide empire. A lot less interested. Being focused on the Baton Rouge campus and facilities closer to home seems to be where they are.

I haven't had time to see what's coming out of Baton Rouge on the topic in the way of news or commentary. That might be interesting to know if someone can check it out. While I doubt we'd hear robust support for the merger out of the Baton Rouge school's administration, a tacit disapproval or indication of "let's see what happens" may signal they are on board. Ditto if nothing is being said at all.

Or I'm way wrong.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

In 2012 this deal was DOA before it ever got off the ground. Now, 7 years later, probably still dead, but who knows? There will be political markers exchanged i.e. if I vote for this deal for you, you have to vote for my deal back in my home parish. Actually, that was on the table in '12 but couldn't find enough takers.

I don't have a horse in this race anymore, so whatever happens is fine by me.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Main problem last year was part of the Shreveport delegation didn’t feel they were involved. With Glover leading the charge could have legs.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Exactly what would we get out of this union? The only thing I see is a lot of headaches and a few students that would not normally be admitted to TECH. As far as collaboration with the LSU Med Center, what is stopping us from doing that now without the LSUS merger. I say let LSUS die on the vine and continue with BPCC collaboration at our own pace doing it our way.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    Exactly what would we get out of this union? The only thing I see is a lot of headaches and a few students that would not normally be admitted to TECH. As far as collaboration with the LSU Med Center, what is stopping us from doing that now without the LSUS merger. I say let LSUS die on the vine and continue with BPCC collaboration at our own pace doing it our way.
    I don't think LSUS will die on the vine. The Shreveport delegation will get enough state funding to keep it going and it will continue to be one of the six four-year universities all located within 100 miles of each other. That's more universities than we need and more than the state can afford. The higher education needs of north Louisiana would be much better served if resources were allocated to only one university (head-quartered in Ruston, of course), which ran satellite branches in Monroe, Grambling, Shreveport, Natchitoches, and Alexandria. The consolidation of these schools into one has to start somewhere, and rolling LSUS into Tech is as good a starting point as any.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    I don't think LSUS will die on the vine. The Shreveport delegation will get enough state funding to keep it going and it will continue to be one of the six four-year universities all located within 100 miles of each other. That's more universities than we need and more than the state can afford. The higher education needs of north Louisiana would be much better served if resources were allocated to only one university (head-quartered in Ruston, of course), which ran satellite branches in Monroe, Grambling, Shreveport, Natchitoches, and Alexandria. The consolidation of these schools into one has to start somewhere, and rolling LSUS into Tech is as good a starting point as any.
    That would make sense economically/financially...so since it makes sense, it'll never happen!

But, since we're dreaming, I'll take it one more step. Have two ULS' systems, north and south. Tech to be the flagship north, with ulm, NSU, GSU, LSUS and LSUA, and SUS as satellites, and ULL to be flagship south over McNeese, Nicholls, SLU, LSUE, SUBR, UNO (did I miss any?). ULS-South would be larger in terms of enrollment, serving a larger population. But that arrangement makes sense geographically.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Did a little search work on the merger thing. Nothing coming out of Baton Rouge that I can see. If they were adamantly opposed I think there would be something in the news by now. Time will tell when the legislature meets, but I have the feeling the administration in BR isn't opposed. Their state-wide empire was built from the Huey Long administration through the 1980's. It started getting tough in the 90's and they began cannibalizing the NLA facilities budgets (not just LSUS) in the 2000's as state budget cuts hammered higher education.

By that I mean, they budgeted money for NLA facilities but the money ended up in Baton Rouge to insulate it from some of the pain. But the continued budget cuts for so many years reduced that flow of funds and now those NLA facilities are a burden, not a revenue stream. But NLA needs those facilities to be working.

The only people who will really watch after NLA are the people who live here. Any organization with a foot on both ends of the state will always limp where NLA is concerned. And the Baton Rouge school may be the flagship university of the state but no one can deny their focus is pretty myopic. The further away you are, the harder time they have seeing (or caring about) you.

For the LSUS chancellor to be out there yelling against the wind for his school & job and getting no support from his bosses is telling.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I don't see the purpose of LSUS sports. You have a physical enrollment of 2k and shrinking, it's a commuter school, lack of school spirit (folks think they are Tigers and not Pilots).
    When we pushed for sports at LSUS it was with the hope that we could evolve out of a commuter school into small DII program. It ended up being lipstick on a pig. We had about 3,700 students when I was on the SGA there and there were signs that we were making a turn, but leadership was always fearful of Baton Rouge and really made it impossible to develop. My biggest regret in life was choosing to take a scholarship to LSUS. Wasted years of my life for certain.

+ Reply to Thread