+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of the Bulldog

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: The Legend of the Bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by littleshoe View Post
    Ask anyone who specializes in folktales, legends, and lore and you will discover that there are a dozen and a half versions of every story that has been handed down. This is silly. True legends are organic and evolve with their current circumstances. There will be a standard story that never changes and a few parts that ebb and flow.

Everybody take a deep breath, remember that we are all on the same team, and have a merry freakin Christmas already!
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job, Osl! And, don't worry........ We ALL get defensive from time to time. Gotta have a tough skin on here. When all is said and done, though, we stick together. I hope you become a regular poster. We need passionate fans like you. Welcome to the group. I think your initiation is over. :icon_wink:

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Had a little horsey named Paul Revere.
    Just me and my horsey and a quart of beer.
    I don't think that's the nice little poem he meant. But when you throw out a classic like that you have to include a link.

You should know better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_PQ52SCDQE

Varsity Bulldog osl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time osl530's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job, Osl! And, don't worry........ We ALL get defensive from time to time. Gotta have a tough skin on here. When all is said and done, though, we stick together. I hope you become a regular poster. We need passionate fans like you. Welcome to the group. I think your initiation is over. :icon_wink:
    sssooooo....just so we're clear.....ya'll liked the poem just touchy about where it ended???

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osl530 View Post
    sssooooo....just so we're clear.....ya'll liked the poem just touchy about where it ended???
    I liked the poem fine and the poetic license you took is fine with me too.

Kind of reminded me of another poem about another legend...

THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
    by Clement Clarke Moore

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,

In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,

While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;

And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,

Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,

Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow

Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer,

With a little old driver, so lively and quick,

I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.

More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,

And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;

"Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!

On, Comet! on Cupid! on, Donder and Blitzen!

To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!

Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,

When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,

So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,

With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof

The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.

As I drew in my head, and was turning around,

Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.

He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,

And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;

A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,

And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.

His eyes -- how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!

His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!

His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,

And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow;

The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,

And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;

He had a broad face and a little round belly,

That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly.

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,

And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,

Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,

And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,

And laying his finger aside of his nose,

And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,

And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.

But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,

"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night."

God only knows how much stuff Clement Moore made up about Santa. :icon_wink:

Varsity Bulldog osl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time osl530's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    I liked the poem fine and the poetic license you took is fine with me too.

Kind of reminded me of another poem about another legend...

God only knows how much stuff Clement Moore made up about Santa. :icon_wink:

wow....i actually got this one in a christmas card from my nieces and it inspired me to write this....very good observation my friend! lol

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

wow....i actually got this one in a christmas card from my nieces and it inspired me to write this....very good observation my friend! lol

Bulldog 809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game809miss is on top of his/her game

This is rediculous....nice poem...at least 90% of my kids attended all of their orientation sessions, including one NFL D-Lineman prospect, so they got the most current version of the story from me in 06 (has it been that long?)...we also have a very passionate person in charge of our OSL's right now, and he has been known to occasionally post on here, and frequently lurk....and for the cat that said that OSL's don't go to Alumni Events or Sporting Events, there have been at least 530 OSL's, and I'd bet that 75% are members of them are in the Alumni Assoication and that half are LTAC members, stack that up against general population.....

Keep throwing starfish 530....

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I was even okay with the end. Some were not. Poetic liscense can be a good thing. You are a great writer and the whole poem brought a tear to my eye. Can't ask for more than that!

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

I have no problem with the poem written by a passionate fan that embellishes and enhances the legend of the bulldog. I have a problem with this being taught by an OSL (Official Louisiana Tech rep) to new students as an alternate to the original legend. If you want to make a nice poster with the poem and a picture of an old bulldog on it and sell it at the bookstore that's fine; I'd probably buy one for my office. But what the OSL's tell incoming students needs to be consistent and have the uncertainty of unknown grave and unknown students; that way it gives room for each person to embellish a little and make the story their own if they want.

And 809, you're right that does stack up well against the general population, but this board is not the general population and calling people out as not passionate Tech fans will get you a bad rep real quick, also I'm not a cat...

*TWEEEET* IMMA BULLDOG IMMA BULLDOG IMMA BULLDOG!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    I have no problem with the poem written by a passionate fan that embellishes and enhances the legend of the bulldog. I have a problem with this being taught by an OSL (Official Louisiana Tech rep) to new students as an alternate to the original legend. If you want to make a nice poster with the poem and a picture of an old bulldog on it and sell it at the bookstore that's fine; I'd probably buy one for my office. But what the OSL's tell incoming students needs to be consistent and have the uncertainty of unknown grave and unknown students; that way it gives room for each person to embellish a little and make the story their own if they want.

And 809, you're right that does stack up well against the general population, but this board is not the general population and calling people out as not passionate Tech fans will get you a bad rep real quick, also I'm not a cat...

*TWEEEET* IMMA BULLDOG IMMA BULLDOG IMMA BULLDOG!!!!
    well sorry we take them to the seal and tell them the story, because it's understood around campus now that that is believed to be the spot. sorry if it goes against the way you heard but that's the way the cookie crumbled. we don't go into near as much detail tho because it's hella hot in the middle of the plaza in july, believe it or not. you're supposed to walk around it too or else you'll fail your next exam.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

You walk around it because you can slip and fall on the tiles when it's wet.

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    You walk around it because you can slip and fall on the tiles when it's wet.
    well in that case you avoid the plaza at all cost cuz the whole dang things a hazzard. anything over an inch of rain you can float to class which makes no sense since we're on a hill but whatev.

Big Dog B.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

well sorry we take them to the seal and tell them the story, because it's understood around campus now that that is believed to be the spot. sorry if it goes against the way you heard but that's the way the cookie crumbled. we don't go into near as much detail tho because it's hella hot in the middle of the plaza in july, believe it or not. you're supposed to walk around it too or else you'll fail your next exam.

I walked over that spot a thousand times when I was a student and graduated with a 4.0 and was the outstanding grad in 94'. Disproves that myth doesn't it. In fact the old sidewalk from the front of Harper to the student union went right through the center of were the seal is.

And as any of my fellow alumni can tell you that can also remember that's the exact spot that the sewer main from Harper busted back in 93' and flooded the front parking lot of Harper and the entire east end of the post office.

“Many of you criticize what you cannot understand, too often you’re too quick to scorn the records of a man who made young men believe their sweat was not in vain and that rising to the top required sacrifice and pain and that no one could take away what was not given. He kept them focused on the prize and demanded they stay driven.......time has passed, some words forgotten, but his wisdom will always echo in our ears and our hearts, down to our very marrow”

Champ littleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the rough

Confession: a few of the fellas and myself used to slide across the seal when it rained. There... I feel better now.

Quote Originally Posted by B.R.Bulldog View Post
    I walked over that spot a thousand times when I was a student and graduated with a 4.0 and was the outstanding grad in 94'. Disproves that myth doesn't it. In fact the old sidewalk from the front of Harper to the student union went right through the center of were the seal is.

And as any of my fellow alumni can tell you that can also remember that's the exact spot that the sewer main from Harper busted back in 93' and flooded the front parking lot of Harper and the entire east end of the post office.
    that's gross.....
    but if there is any truth to the story of the dog i'm pretty sure it's decomposed after 100 years in louisiana humidity

+ Reply to Thread