+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Playoff

Big Dog TBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of light TBDawg01's Avatar

Re: College Football Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    I definitely like the idea of using existing bowls in an expanded playoff.
    I agree, it would be fun. However, it would get very expensive for the winning teams fans to travel 3 or 4 weeks in a row.

TB

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    I agree Power 5 is an invented term, but it is a very real thing. Athletic budgets, recruiting in football and basketball, game attendance, television ratings, national rankings and overall quality of teams on the football fields and basketball courts make it a reality.
    I regret we may have reached an impasse.

This may be one of those times where two reasonable people agree on the facts but arrive at different conclusions.

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

use whatever system the FCS schools use.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by counselingdawg View Post
    use whatever system the FCS schools use.
    INDIANAPOLIS -- The field of 24 teams competing for the 2017 NCAA Division I Football Championship was announced today by the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee. The top eight national seeds will host winners from the first-round match-ups.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    INDIANAPOLIS -- The field of 24 teams competing for the 2017 NCAA Division I Football Championship was announced today by the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee. The top eight national seeds will host winners from the first-round match-ups.
    10 auto qualifiers & 14 at large

Big Dog RGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Clemson wasn't going to be left out in any scenario. The one team that would've been left out is probably the strongest in the play-off. Thus, our system sucks.

Go to 16. 10 conference champs and 6 at large spots. I don't think they'll do that, but I do think we could be looking at 6-8 by this time next year.
    +1

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post

This may be one of those times where two reasonable people agree on the facts but arrive at different conclusions.
    Fair enough.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post

Whether you want to admit it or not, cartels are very real things. The "Power 5" is a cartel.

What is a 'Cartel'

A cartel is an organization created from a formal agreement between a group of producers of a good or service to regulate supply in an effort to regulate or manipulate prices. In other words, a cartel is a collection of otherwise independent businesses or countries that act together as if they were a single producer and thus are able to fix prices for the goods they produce and the services they render without competition.

Read more: Cartel https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c...#ixzz53E12gaLc
    Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I've been thinking about the next move for the cartel. Eight is logical, but I think they will hold off as long as possible. Many think this year w/out a Big 10 or PAC 12 will start the ball rolling. I don't believe rolling in 4 more bowl games into the mix will be a steep hill for them to climb.

I don't believe 16 is doable for several reasons, but the main one being the watering down of 12 more of the top bowl games. As others have mentioned 4 weeks of fan travel is probably a big reason the cartel won't do it, but they'll never admit it. The cartel will never consider going back to 11 regular season games to provide more room for a 16 team playoff.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    No problem. Undefeated, current NCAA FBS National Football Champion UCF doesn't mind at all.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Speaking of national championships...

NDSU and JMU are hooking up in Frisco for the FCS title. Early lead to NDSU. I see the south EZ is open for seating, and the stadium is "near capacity."

It's a neat little stadium.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Speaking of national championships...

NDSU and JMU are hooking up in Frisco for the FCS title. Early lead to NDSU. I see the south EZ is open for seating, and the stadium is "near capacity."

It's a neat little stadium.
    Good defensive game. The refs have been horrible.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I've been thinking about the next move for the cartel. Eight is logical, but I think they will hold off as long as possible. Many think this year w/out a Big 10 or PAC 12 will start the ball rolling. I don't believe rolling in 4 more bowl games into the mix will be a steep hill for them to climb.

I don't believe 16 is doable for several reasons, but the main one being the watering down of 12 more of the top bowl games. As others have mentioned 4 weeks of fan travel is probably a big reason the cartel won't do it, but they'll never admit it. The cartel will never consider going back to 11 regular season games to provide more room for a 16 team playoff.
    4 teams is just not enough to call this sham a playoff.

If they create an 8 team playoff, the quarterfinals should be on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day at neutral bowl sites. That way there could be no conflict with December exams and only 4 teams would be playing after January 2 at the latest.

A 12 or 16-team playoff could start the week after conference championships and quarterfinals could still be at New Year's. Conference championships could be moved up a week if playing the first round the second weekend in December raised academic objections.

Any way you cut it there wouldn't be 4 straight weeks of fan travel.

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post

A 12 or 16-team playoff could start the week after conference championships and quarterfinals could still be at New Year's. Conference championships could be moved up a week if playing the first round the second weekend in December raised academic objections.

Any way you cut it there wouldn't be 4 straight weeks of fan travel.
    Week 1 - travel to Conference Championships (most teams)
    Week 2 - Bowl Games for 16 teams
    Week 3 - Bowl Games for 8 teams
    Week 4 - Bowl Games for 4 teams
    Week 5 - National Championship

+ Reply to Thread