+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: KEEL RADIO POOL - LA TECH merger with LSU-S

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: KEEL RADIO POOL - LA TECH merger with LSU-S

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    The comments are getting to be ridiculous!
    Example:

The merger is a bad idea, and if it happens I am going back to NSU. Many students at LSUS are wanting to transfer top BPCC as it is and if the merger happens they will. There is nothing wrong with BPCC, but I don't some students realize that if they transfer they will not be able to get a four year degree. For me I think it bad because I want my Psychology degree to be a B.S. not a B.A. If the merger were to go through then it should be just that a MERGER not a takeover. They should take some aspects from both schools and put them at the other. However, all we have heard here is that programs will be cut and we will be stuck going to Ruston. Other than that all I have heard is that there is no major plan. That doesn't sound like a good start to me
    Sure even BPCC would accept these people? Surely they have some standards.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Might be totally unrelated, but NSU's in-coming freshmen applications are up by 400 over what they had projected/expected. I am NOT saying there is a direct link between the two. But the NSU admissions' office, while thrilled, can not explain it. NSU's Freshmen Connection, the first session begins in late May, is "sold out."

But, could there be a link between the merger controversy and this surge? Perhaps so. At least for the simple reason that some students, needing to make a choice, didn't feel comfortable choosing LSUS, not knowing for sure what is gonna happen. So, they took a sure thing, NSU. Just speculation on my part.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Might be totally unrelated, but NSU's in-coming freshmen applications are up by 400 over what they had projected/expected. I am NOT saying there is a direct link between the two. But the NSU admissions' office, while thrilled, can not explain it. NSU's Freshmen Connection, the first session begins in late May, is "sold out."

But, could there be a link between the merger controversy and this surge? Perhaps so. At least for the simple reason that some students, needing to make a choice, didn't feel comfortable choosing LSUS, not knowing for sure what is gonna happen. So, they took a sure thing, NSU. Just speculation on my part.
    This will be the first year of the new higher admissions requirements at LSU, Tech, ULL, and UNO.

NWST also has a big marketing campaign going on in Shreveport-Bossier.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    This will be the first year of the new higher admissions requirements at LSU, Tech, ULL, and UNO.

Combined with there being a lot more Soldiers on Ft. Polk with the Iraq withdrawal and Afghanistan's downsizing. I know a number of them taking advantage of GoArmyEd and G.I. Bill starting at NSU.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post

That might account for it, true. NSU's admission standards don't rise (again) until Fall 2014.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

Nobody cares about your purple, white and orange "normal" school.

Puppy The Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

It's funny that this poll is ONLY advertised on Tech's website and some small AM radio station's website. No mention of this poll has been put out to my fellow Pilots, and Tech still can't even get 70% of the votes. All we want is for Tech to LEAVE US ALONE! WE DON'T WANT TO BE PUT IN THE DOGHOUSE WITH YOU! I chose LSU-S over Tech. Respect us, back off, and we will do the same.

Puppy The Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeThe Pilot Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

This whole situation is sneaky and par for Louisiana government. If it is such a great deal for LSU-S, perhaps they would have involved the students & staff that actually go there. Perhaps they would have created a detailed plan that addressed all issues and made it public. These corrupt, behind the curtains meetings are horrifying. The paid for a certain agenda surveys are sickening. Furthermore, It's funny how you all support an issue that you have no real information about. I guess because it's Tech taking control of something, you are in favor... LSU system purposed to take over Tech, which I do not agree with, but Tech quickly declined the idea. It must be nice to have a say in how your educational investment is being handled. Just leave us alone. Pilot pride forever!!!

To those that are just going to lower my posting reputation, be a grown-up and respond. I'm a reasonable person and I'm more than willing to have an educated conversation with you on this subject. Understand my frustration with this whole situation. I have nothing against Tech, I am simply standing up for the school that I CHOSE.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilot View Post
    It's funny that this poll is ONLY advertised on Tech's website and some small AM radio station's website. No mention of this poll has been put out to my fellow Pilots, and Tech still can't even get 70% of the votes. All we want is for Tech to LEAVE US ALONE! WE DON'T WANT TO BE PUT IN THE DOGHOUSE WITH YOU! I chose LSU-S over Tech. Respect us, back off, and we will do the same.
    That's a lie. The poll is linked to your S.O.S. LSU Shreveport facebook group.

This whole situation is sneaky and par for Louisiana government. If it is such a great deal for LSU-S, perhaps they would have involved the students & staff that actually go there. Perhaps they would have created a detailed plan that addressed all issues and made it public. These corrupt, behind the curtains meetings are horrifying. The paid for a certain agenda surveys are sickening. Furthermore, It's funny how you all support an issue that you have no real information about. I guess because it's Tech taking control of something, you are in favor... LSU system purposed to take over Tech, which I do not agree with, but Tech quickly declined the idea. It must be nice to have a say in how your educational investment is being handled. Just leave us alone. Pilot pride forever!!!
    It doesn't matter what the students, faculty, and staff at LSUS or Tech think. All that matters is what is best for Northwest Louisiana.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Actually the previous idea was to move Tech into the LSU system from the ULS system and the ideas were debated and our leadership decided against the idea and then the merger idea came about and this is where we are now. Its funny how most of the opposition to this merger have no real information about it and are opposing it based on what appears to be emotions alone. The main arguments seem to be that you don't want Tech taking over and moving required classes to Ruston, shuttering the LSUS campus altogether or completely ignoring the non-traditional students course selections. You have no proof of any of these things yet your leadership has been apparently spoon feeding you these ideas along with the idea that all of the faculty would automatically be fired.

The Tech administration has made several appearances in the Shreveport area and allegedly have been blocked from speaking on campus by the administration. I believe that LSUS students and faculty could be a part of the discussion, but you would rather whine and keep everything the same as it is.

Dawg06. You say I lie because a small, unofficial facebook page has a link to it? Come on man. Show me where it's mentioned on our Moodle, website, or newspaper. I don't even know how to respond to your second comment. To say it doesn't matter what the people that make the school operate think is ludicrous. No students means no school... if the school is even kept in existence if Tech takes over. Tech has NO set plan. You are right that someone in North Louisiana would be benefiting, unfortunately it won't be the people. The entire situation is just sad.

Atobulldog: You say that "the ideas were debated and our leadership decided against the idea" for the Tech to LSU swap. That's cool. It must feel good to have a say in how your school operates. The biggest problem with the current merger is EXACTLY what you find "funny" though. Where is the "real" information? Where is the complete, detailed plan on how the merger would work? There is none! Tech talks a good game, but will not back it up with actually coming up with an official plan. Open your mind and think about it from the point of view of a Pilot. We love our school, our curriculum, our sports teams, and our community. We want to see that flourish without the scent of a wet dog lingering...

The Pilot:

First, there is no need to be disrespectful. As a Bulldog and a Pilot myself, I don't appreciate that snide remark about " a wet dog."

You are right to want to see a detailed plan. I have called for one myself. What some of my fellow Tech supporters have overlooked is the cost to Tech, to make such a merger successful. And, this during a time of state budget cuts and more cuts looming. And, there are ALL those "little" matters of course consolidation, scheduling, curricula, programs, majors, concentrations, faculty duplication, as well as meeting and keeping SACS and other accreditations. Not to mention the adminstrative merger(s) at the university level, right down through all the colleges, programs, etc...

Some programs at Tech will be put into accreditation jeopardy if a simple consolidation takes place. There is that little matter of faculty credential "coverage" to be considered. Some think the problem will be rectified by simply terminating the LSUS faculty member causing the imbalance. Uh ah! Nope! In some cases, it'll be a Tech instructor that is let go in favor of a higher-credentialed LSUS faculty member.

Then, I am sure there are foundations that have been set up by LSUS alumni and other benefactors with strict, contractual instructions on how the monies can, and cannot, be allocated. This also includes all the scholarships that are privately funded, as well as those that include some public money. Each one has specific requirements and only the benefactors, or someone with a power-of-attorney on behalf of the donor, has the authority to alter them. Those that are tied to public monies, means it came from the federal gov-mint and to tamper with these means committing a felony. If the merger takes place, I fully expect all of these "little" matters to be properly worked out. But, that's just it, all of these "little" matters take time and someone needs to actually do it.

As for the students....well, not all LSUS students will successfully make the transition to Tech. And there are all kinds of issues concerning combining a school on the semester system with one on the quarter system (but with semester hours).

Dawg80:

After being called a whiner, told I lie, and told that my thoughts don't matter... I felt my comment was fair.

In all seriousness though, I completely agree with you on your thoughts to this point. There is a lot of misinformation being spread around and a lot of people (mostly students) announcing their loyalties without even researching the situation. I love LSU-S and it's frustrating that such a lackadaisical stunt is being pulled. I understand the possible benefits that the merger could bring to LSU-S, but there are even more negative factors that would affect our side then Tech's. There is the issues with tenure, quarter system conversion, program locations (including if the Shreveport campus will continue to be), costs (also the lawsuit between LSU against Tech over property that would be acquired from this merger), etc. to the point where someone's head spins just thinking about it. I'm not against bettering our State's educational structure, but I'm not sure if this would be accomplishing that. I do know this situation is not being handled in the best way possible by the organizations involved. Thank you for having comments derived from knowledge dawg80.

+ Reply to Thread