+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: How is Covid-19 affecting your work?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: How is Covid-19 affecting your work?

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    My wife is slated to retire in August, although she may have to push that back a couple of months due to unfinished business thanks to C-19. She says she wants to go into consulting after she retires, as you say, work when as much/little as she wants. I asked her, what kind of consulting? I don't know, she says, I'll think of something.
    Sounds a lot like me. The good thing is that I know my company will put me on as a consultant, if I would like. That is very helpful. I just can't wait to do my on schedule and some other things I would love to do that are fun. Hoping the C19 doesn't hold me back too much. With at least 7 years left, I think I will be okay - barring another disaster and that we recover from this one okay.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    I own a small grocery/deli in Shreveport and have nearly doubled my business since this all started BUT...I just got off the phone with the stores I helped open in BR and they said they started booming a week or so before I did and are now dead..had to cut employees and change store hours. I have just changed my store hours and just yesterday and today saw a quick downturn in business.

I've been doing this for 25 years now and I know that tough times are coming for sure.
    Are you using one of the delivery apps? I would think that would help a little during this time.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    I own a small grocery/deli in Shreveport and have nearly doubled my business since this all started BUT...I just got off the phone with the stores I helped open in BR and they said they started booming a week or so before I did and are now dead..had to cut employees and change store hours. I have just changed my store hours and just yesterday and today saw a quick downturn in business.

I've been doing this for 25 years now and I know that tough times are coming for sure.
    Do you think that updating your site to make an on line ordering set up would help? Not criticizing just asking.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Back to the thread's topic...

Yesterday I was in a WebX conference, today I have a GotoMeeting teleconference. Tomorrow I am scheduled to meet F2F with two clients. We will stay 6 feet apart. Was on the phone in a 3-way phone conference last night. These are interesting times.

Good news about a pending relief deal.
    I definitely like the remote teleconference option for board meetings. I am on two boards of directors for two different organizations and they can be boring (Bored of Directors!). I was able to actually do a little work on the side while department heads droned on with their reports...and was dressed comfortably seated in my favorite comfy chair too.

You see...you can always find a silver lining in any situation.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Working from home?

I see an ISIS terrorist blew up himself and 20 family members....

I definitely like the remote teleconference option for board meetings. I am on two boards of directors for two different organizations and they can be boring (Bored of Directors!). I was able to actually do a little work on the side while department heads droned on with their reports...and was dressed comfortably seated in my favorite comfy chair too.

You see...you can always find a silver lining in any situation.
    My organization is made up of staff from all over Texas (and some in other states and outside the country). We were pretty used to Zoom meetings. The one thing that is missing is the travel - which I do really miss. A new thing we are doing now is every Friday at 3:30pm, we have a "Water Cooler Video Conference". This is not for work. It is everyone that wishes joining in with their kids, animals, and sometimes a drink in their hand. No one has to be dressed up and some are sitting by their pool or just laying on their bed - totally relaxed gathering by video. It is purely to celebrate the end of the work week and to connect socially. I think this will carry over after the COVID-19 crisis. It has really been nice to connect with everyone on a personal level and just visit.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    My organization is made up of staff from all over Texas (and some in other states and outside the country). We were pretty used to Zoom meetings. The one thing that is missing is the travel - which I do really miss. A new thing we are doing now is every Friday at 3:30pm, we have a "Water Cooler Video Conference". This is not for work. It is everyone that wishes joining in with their kids, animals, and sometimes a drink in their hand. No one has to be dressed up and some are sitting by their pool or just laying on their bed - totally relaxed gathering by video. It is purely to celebrate the end of the work week and to connect socially. I think this will carry over after the COVID-19 crisis. It has really been nice to connect with everyone on a personal level and just visit.
    Yep! humans are social creatures. As are dogs! People will find a way to connect and stay connected. We NEED that. And within organizations, even businesses, folks like to share information, share experiences...to talk about the big game! Only, there ain't any games to talk about right now . Anyway, the strongest organizations have that "human element" in them.

Yep! humans are social creatures. As are dogs! People will find a way to connect and stay connected. We NEED that. And within organizations, even businesses, folks like to share information, share experiences...to talk about the big game! Only, there ain't any games to talk about right now . Anyway, the strongest organizations have that "human element" in them.
    And I probably have a double dose of that social need. I can work from home just fine, but miss that travel to see my friends in different cities. This too shall pass, if we are diligent, though. Staying safe and trying to flatten the curve is #1 priority right now.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

And I probably have a double dose of that social need. I can work from home just fine, but miss that travel to see my friends in different cities. This too shall pass, if we are diligent, though. Staying safe and trying to flatten the curve is #1 priority right now.
    People are so different. I travel for job and that's why I want to hurry and retire. I want to be home at night with my family. I was on the schedule to be our 72 nights this year, and now will likely be working from home until May. I am not so thrilled with being at home all the time and trying to work through a secure portal, but I am thrilled not to be living in hotels all the time. We are doing our part to flatten the curve for sure. We aren't going anywhere.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Amen Gary!

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

In a business that serves Emergency services and believe it or not, some parts of our business were not considered essential. I have spent the last 15 years traveling pretty well every day and a lot of hotel nights but recently took a promotion that gave me the opportunity to cut my travel by 70%. Well, long story short, the CV looks as it will have a very long lasting affect on our business and we had to lay off about 45% of our work force. I was fortunate and was able to keep my job although it now means combining my new job work load with my old positions work load and a compensation adjustment. I am not thrilled about it at all, but very thankful to still be considered essential enough to be kept on. I am going along trying to flatten the curve, but really hate that I am not out spending travel money and so forth to help these other business' stay afloat. I have many friends who tell me they see no way to stay afloat if this goes any extended time, all I can do is pray for them now.

Should this go on a long time, I see many essential services going down also, so if you still have a job, pray for those who do not, those barely hanging on, and those that will suffer for months to come because of this. Remember these small communities who will see sales tax revenues severely decline and will begin running out of money, just because things may start getting back to normal in 30-60 days does not mean the suffering will be over.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Oil and Gas industry has been hammered after the 1-2 punch, the same basic initial 7 day period, of the China Kung Flu and Saudi Arabia/Russia Putin oil price fight. Hum......all 3 countries dislike/hate America and her freedoms not to mention our booming #1 economy in the world, the last couple of years being the #1 producer of Oil and Gas and now again the #1 Military in the world!

Hum.........tinfoil hat time? .......

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    In a business that serves Emergency services and believe it or not, some parts of our business were not considered essential. I have spent the last 15 years traveling pretty well every day and a lot of hotel nights but recently took a promotion that gave me the opportunity to cut my travel by 70%. Well, long story short, the CV looks as it will have a very long lasting affect on our business and we had to lay off about 45% of our work force. I was fortunate and was able to keep my job although it now means combining my new job work load with my old positions work load and a compensation adjustment. I am not thrilled about it at all, but very thankful to still be considered essential enough to be kept on. I am going along trying to flatten the curve, but really hate that I am not out spending travel money and so forth to help these other business' stay afloat. I have many friends who tell me they see no way to stay afloat if this goes any extended time, all I can do is pray for them now.

Should this go on a long time, I see many essential services going down also, so if you still have a job, pray for those who do not, those barely hanging on, and those that will suffer for months to come because of this. Remember these small communities who will see sales tax revenues severely decline and will begin running out of money, just because things may start getting back to normal in 30-60 days does not mean the suffering will be over.
    Great points, BD. I think the real shock is going to come when state and local governments get to the end of their fiscal year and see ENORMOUS deficits. Hopefully the feds have a plan for helping them too. With so many businesses shut down for the time being, sales tax revenue for state and local government(s) has been almost completely stopped. This could have very long term consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Great points, BD. I think the real shock is going to come when state and local governments get to the end of their fiscal year and see ENORMOUS deficits. Hopefully the feds have a plan for helping them too. With so many businesses shut down for the time being, sales tax revenue for state and local government(s) has been almost completely stopped. This could have very long term consequences.
    Per the comments above:
    This is almost 3 years old but I find it interesting. Still hunting for 2019 numbers.

All Top 10 Worst indebted states but 1 are Democrat party led. Cities would look worse and all Dem Party led.

The top 10 most indebted states in the US

PUBLISHED TUE, MAY 2 2017 8:00 AM EDT

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/02/the-...in-the-us.html

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    People are so different. I travel for job and that's why I want to hurry and retire. I want to be home at night with my family. I was on the schedule to be our 72 nights this year, and now will likely be working from home until May. I am not so thrilled with being at home all the time and trying to work through a secure portal, but I am thrilled not to be living in hotels all the time. We are doing our part to flatten the curve for sure. We aren't going anywhere.
    Thanks for the post. How are you getting essentials like food?

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Oil and Gas industry has been hammered after the 1-2 punch, the same basic initial 7 day period, of the China Kung Flu and Saudi Arabia/Russia Putin oil price fight. Hum......all 3 countries dislike/hate America and her freedoms not to mention our booming #1 economy in the world, the last couple of years being the #1 producer of Oil and Gas and now again the #1 Military in the world!

Hum.........tinfoil hat time? .......
    $1.50 gas is not a good thing. SO many jobs are gone. Trumps fault according to some posters here on THE BBB.

+ Reply to Thread