+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Open Office

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Open Office

Anybody use Open Office ?? www.openoffice.org

Comments ??

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: Open Office

It's saved my booty several times at home when I didn't have access to my MS Office software.
    It's limiting, but it allows you to read thos MS documents.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    It's saved my booty several times at home when I didn't have access to my MS Office software.
    It's limiting, but it allows you to read thos MS documents.
    How is it "limiting" ??

Can you save files with Open Office and read them with MS Office software ??

TIA

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    How is it "limiting" ??

Can you save files with Open Office and read them with MS Office software ??

TIA
    I use it "almost" exclusively.

It has trouble with MS Office 2007 files (the .docx and other "x" formats) but it handles older MS Office files just fine.

Overall, I think it is a much better word processor than MS Word. It can open, edit, and save .doc files just fine, and has some features that Word doesn't. I've only had problems when editing documents that other people were also editing in Word, AND that the formatting REALLY mattered. Like, sometimes paragraphs would wrap at different places, adding a page to the 60+ page document. (And this might have more to do with my using Open Office in Linux instead of Windows.)

As for spreadsheets, it depends on what you do. It is just as good as Excel for basic spreadsheets, and can do most of what pre-2007 Excel can do. Some of the commands are different, but you just have to get used to it.

Impress, Open Office's answer to PowerPoint is WAY behind PowerPoint.

If you are looking for a "drop in" replacement to MS Word, OpenOffice Writer will be just fine the majority of the time.

If there is something particular you need it to do that you have a question about, just ask and I'll try to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    I use it "almost" exclusively.

It has trouble with MS Office 2007 files (the .docx and other "x" formats) but it handles older MS Office files just fine.

Overall, I think it is a much better word processor than MS Word. It can open, edit, and save .doc files just fine, and has some features that Word doesn't. I've only had problems when editing documents that other people were also editing in Word, AND that the formatting REALLY mattered. Like, sometimes paragraphs would wrap at different places, adding a page to the 60+ page document. (And this might have more to do with my using Open Office in Linux instead of Windows.)

As for spreadsheets, it depends on what you do. It is just as good as Excel for basic spreadsheets, and can do most of what pre-2007 Excel can do. Some of the commands are different, but you just have to get used to it.

Impress, Open Office's answer to PowerPoint is WAY behind PowerPoint.

If you are looking for a "drop in" replacement to MS Word, OpenOffice Writer will be just fine the majority of the time.

If there is something particular you need it to do that you have a question about, just ask and I'll try to answer.
    I've used MS Office 2003 for years, and have lots of files I use and update and need to keep and maintain. Most of these are Word, but some are Excel. Anyhow, I still have the MS Office 2003 on my laptop (I've loaded it on three machines in the past, and I'm thinking that's the limit ??), and I need to put the files on a new desktop and also on another one I'm planning to purchase soon. If I can get by with the Open Office, I won't have to buy the MS Office 2007.

I can give that money to the greedy oil companies (and, indirectly to their chief booster, TYLERTECHSAS) instead of to the greedy Microsoft.

So, you think I'll be good to go ??

Many Thanks for the info.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    I've used MS Office 2003 for years, and have lots of files I use and update and need to keep and maintain. Most of these are Word, but some are Excel. Anyhow, I still have the MS Office 2003 on my laptop (I've loaded it on three machines in the past, and I'm thinking that's the limit ??), and I need to put the files on a new desktop and also on another one I'm planning to purchase soon. If I can get by with the Open Office, I won't have to buy the MS Office 2007.

I can give that money to the greedy oil companies (and, indirectly to their chief booster, TYLERTECHSAS) instead of to the greedy Microsoft.

So, you think I'll be good to go ??

Many Thanks for the info.
    As long as you are not going to be working in an environment that is heavy on MS Office 2007, then I think you should be good to go. Even with MS Office 2007, there is SOME support in OO, but it can be a pain.

If you are working with files created in MS Office 2003 (and earlier), you should have no major problems with OO, especially the Word files. I've been VERY happy with OO Writer. The only problem I've run into with OO Calc (Excel equivalent) is that I haven't figured out how to do regression equations and the like (which are available as add-ons in Excel). Basic spreadsheet stuff has been fine, though. For PowerPoints, OO Impress can open them if you just want to read or print them, and it can handle basic presentations fine, but MS PowerPoint is much better for creating fancy presentations.

The bottom line is that if you have been using MS Office 2003 and mostly do basic word processing and spreadsheet stuff, OO will be more than adequate. If you have a lot of macros and stuff, you should be fine, but your results may vary. Also, if you use auto-generated tables of contents and indexes and the like you may have some hiccups from time to time. And besides, OO is free, so if you don't like it at least you haven't spent any money on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    As long as you are not going to be working in an environment that is heavy on MS Office 2007, then I think you should be good to go. Even with MS Office 2007, there is SOME support in OO, but it can be a pain.

If you are working with files created in MS Office 2003 (and earlier), you should have no major problems with OO, especially the Word files. I've been VERY happy with OO Writer. The only problem I've run into with OO Calc (Excel equivalent) is that I haven't figured out how to do regression equations and the like (which are available as add-ons in Excel). Basic spreadsheet stuff has been fine, though. For PowerPoints, OO Impress can open them if you just want to read or print them, and it can handle basic presentations fine, but MS PowerPoint is much better for creating fancy presentations.

The bottom line is that if you have been using MS Office 2003 and mostly do basic word processing and spreadsheet stuff, OO will be more than adequate. If you have a lot of macros and stuff, you should be fine, but your results may vary. Also, if you use auto-generated tables of contents and indexes and the like you may have some hiccups from time to time. And besides, OO is free, so if you don't like it at least you haven't spent any money on it!
    WORD ! ! Also, thanx to Dawgpix.

Puppy darrenalex is an unknown

Hi all...
    I am using open office because its free and it takes less time in opening and closing document compare to Microsoft office 2007...

+ Reply to Thread