+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Start Westin Elliot Now!

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Re: Start Westin Elliot Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I thought J'Mar played well today, good enough QB play to win IMO. It may have been J'Mar's best performance of the season... but we still got blown out. We got out-coached, plain and simple.
    I don't know if it was his best performance, but it was certainly one of them. He stepped up in the pocket and fired some big-time throws on the money. He scanned the field way more than I've seen him do in previous games. There were several plays where he literally scanned every receiver (and none of them were open) before he either got sacked or escaped for a gain. The biggest problem yesterday wasn't J'Mar but rather our receivers' inability to get open. Teddy Veal was injured early in that game, and he was fought his way to 112 yards and a TD on 6 catches. Rhashid Bonnette also was banged up and sat out a number of plays. That's our top two receivers. We aren't great with them at full strength, but we're below mediocre when they are out. We desperately need an impact player at wide receiver. Maybe Alfred Smith can help in that area if he ever gets healthy. Hell, I know Amik and Jaiden Cole are explosive players. Can they not get a couple of reps at receiver to help with some explosiveness? Our wide receiver corps simply is not getting the job done.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    In some ways losing the last two would help Tech much like I think the USMNT needed to fail to qualify this year.

It allows stuff to come to light that mediocre (6-6) seasons would never reveal. Maybe our Fanbase will see Skip for what he really is. Maybe our administration will talk to him. Maybe real substantial changes will be made.

6-6 is just another bandaid and doesn’t address the deeper issue with the team.
    The USMNT is a good comparison. Only now, after failing to make the WC Finals are people saying something needs to change.

Yep, if Holtz manages to pull out 6-6 and a bowl, and oh my! win that bowl game, most will commend him for accomplishing that in a season of record injuries. He'll get a raise and another extension.

This does remind me that some of us, even the midst of the three-year bowl run, have been asking, "is there nothing more?" I want 10+ wins, a conference championship, and yes, finishing in the Top 25. I have been bashed by the Sunshine Pumpers for not being satisfied. I have stated, many times, I appreciate the 9-win, bowl victory seasons because I have suffered through some very, very lean years. But, is that it with Holtz? Someone else pointed out that Holtz has those 27 wins with the talent of 15 players who are, or were, in the NFL. That's a lot of talent to work with! Maybe we should have already had one of those 10+ win, Top 25 seasons, eh.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The USMNT is a good comparison. Only now, after failing to make the WC Finals are people saying something needs to change.

Yep, if Holtz manages to pull out 6-6 and a bowl, and oh my! win that bowl game, most will commend him for accomplishing that in a season of record injuries. He'll get a raise and another extension.

This does remind me that some of us, even the midst of the three-year bowl run, have been asking, "is there nothing more?" I want 10+ wins, a conference championship, and yes, finishing in the Top 25. I have been bashed by the Sunshine Pumpers for not being satisfied. I have stated, many times, I appreciate the 9-win, bowl victory seasons because I have suffered through some very, very lean years. But, is that it with Holtz? Someone else pointed out that Holtz has those 27 wins with the talent of 15 players who are, or were, in the NFL. That's a lot of talent to work with! Maybe we should have already had one of those 10+ win, Top 25 seasons, eh.
    Yes, the Sunshine Pumpers like to bash those of us that want and expect more. Unfortunately there aren’t many of us to demand more, thus we’ve wallowed in mediocrity for most of our almost 30 years in the highest division. But hey, TB threw God knows how many interceptions on Thanksgiving Day one time, I know I was there. So it could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Yes, the Sunshine Pumpers like to bash those of us that want and expect more. Unfortunately there aren’t many of us to demand more, thus we’ve wallowed in mediocrity for most of our almost 30 years in the highest division. But hey, TB threw God knows how many interceptions on Thanksgiving Day one time, I know I was there. So it could be worse.
    Sunshine pumpers love to play the we're poor little ole LA Tech card. And they will tell you that beating teams in the Sun Belt and beating teams with losing records (Illinois 6-7) in bowl games is success.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    Westin gets a snap to end the FAU game, why bother? What’s worse is that he was called on to hand the ball off, why bother?
    I couldn't believe it? Word is, when Holtz sent Westin in the game with 37 seconds remaining, he told him, "Go win it for us, kid."

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Agreed. Smith was mediocre, which for him is a HUGE step up. No, seriously, he was not horrible last night. At times....at times, mind you, he actually looked good. But, at times he was horrific again, such as his inability to "see the field." That's one of his biggest issues, he doesn't see what's happening, and that's because he doesn't look.

I can see right before and a second after the snap that the defense knows the play. Yes, Holtz's entire playbook could fit on a post-it note, but even so, a defense can never be 100% sure a play is what you think it is. Smith doesn't recognize at the git-go that the defense is "jumping the play." I can see it from the stands...you've been had Smith, they KNOW the play. But, doesn't matter, Smith carries out the play anyway. I PROMISE you, if I could be DC for a team on our schedule, any decent team with a pulse on defense, I could shut out the Dawgs. Tech would not cross midfield on any drive they started inside their 30. (have to assume there would be a lucky pitch and catch for a 15-20 yard gain now and then). The ONLY reason other DCs haven't accomplished that is because they don't have the luxury of being able to learn Holtz's offense like I have. They have to scheme for 12 opponents each year and don't have the time to really dissect any opposing offense.

Anyway, Smith was very mediocre last night which is his best performance of the year. He probably had 80 yards rushing, just guessing, haven't seen any stats. He was humming those slant passes. He actually stepped up into the pocket a few times and allowed the rush to flow by him. I was like, wow! Where has this been all year?

Still, we seem to be stuck on 23. If we can hold UTEP and UTSA under 23....we have a chance to win out.

When J'Mar Smith took a sack with 14 seconds remaining in the 1st half --and the clock winding down, and us with no timeouts remaining-- that was the final straw for me. It smacked of very low football intelligence". Even before the play I was screaming from the stands "You gotta throw the ball into the end zone". Same on the previous play. Every high school QB in the state of Louisiana KNOWS you can't take a sack in that situation.

But J'Mar did anyway. So I don't want to hear that he was "not horrible". He was still terrible.

BTW, stats don't mean anything when you get beat by 20 points. J'Mar had a nice stat day", but he still got his clock cleaned all day and demonstrated very LOW football intelligence on numerous occasions, as pointed out above. And just for the record, he absolutely WILL NOT THROW the football to the middle of the field --between the hash marks-- more than 2 or 3 times a game. Its truly unbelievable.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    When J'Mar Smith took a sack with 14 seconds remaining in the 1st half --and the clock winding down, and us with no timeouts remaining-- that was the final straw for me. It smacked of very low football intelligence". Even before the play I was screaming from the stands "You gotta throw the ball into the end zone". Same on the previous play. Every high school QB in the state of Louisiana KNOWS you can't take a sack in that situation.

But J'Mar did anyway. So I don't want to hear that he was "not horrible". He was still terrible.

BTW, stats don't mean anything when you get beat by 20 points. J'Mar had a nice stat day", but he still got his clock cleaned all day and demonstrated very LOW football intelligence on numerous occasions, as pointed out above. And just for the record, he absolutely WILL NOT THROW the football to the middle of the field --between the hash marks-- more than 2 or 3 times a game. Its truly unbelievable.
    That says it all. Case closed.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Terrible to waste a whole season mollycoddling a subpar qb with the "hopes" that he might improve and perform adequately sometime out in the future.

The future is now. THIS is/was the season that matters. Thanks to Skippy Choke for blowing the best home schedule I can remember us ever having.

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar

I think J'Mar has played "good enough" for us to have won most of our games. He has lead several 4th quarter game winning or winning opportunity drives. But I would be good with Westin getting a shot. Maybe Westin has some intangibles that would help this team more than J'Mar has.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

As painful as it was I watched the game again and was less impressed watching J’Mar. Too many times he just won’t throw the ball on time. He seems incapable of seeing where to throw the ball down the field to lead the receiver into a catch. When he scrambles he seems to run into tacklers instead of avoiding them. When he runs into a tackle he does so as if giving himself up instead of lowering his center of gravity to gain an extra yard or two.

The replay fared no better for Holtz. All of the sideline views showed him calmly pacing the sidelines looking like he didn’t much mind seeing his team getting their butts kicked.

My other observation not that it matters and not that it was surprising was all the offensive holding that FAU got way with.

Back to my main point, yes J’Mar had a surprisingly good stat day but when you get thoroughly embarrassed at home, who cares.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

[QUOTE=HogDawg;1674140]When J'Mar Smith took a sack with 14 seconds remaining in the 1st half --and the clock winding down, and us with no timeouts remaining-- that was the final straw for me. It smacked of very low football intelligence". Even before the play I was screaming from the stands "You gotta throw the ball into the end zone". Same on the previous play. Every high school QB in the state of Louisiana KNOWS you can't take a sack in that situation.

BTW, stats don't mean anything when you get beat by 20 points. J'Mar had a nice stat day", but he still got his clock cleaned all day and demonstrated very LOW football intelligence on numerous occasions, as pointed out above. And just for the record, he absolutely WILL NOT THROW the football to the middle of the field --between the hash marks-- more than 2 or 3 times a game. Its truly unbelievable.[/QUOTE] Exactly, and I don't understand that!!! But, then again, he doesn't have Trent Taylor to catch that pass over the middle. Some WR is going to have to step up!!!

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

In fairness to J'Mar, of his 30 completions against FAU, roughly 12-15 were either between the hash marks or within 2-3 yards of each hash mark. Our first 3 or 4 completions of the game were between or near the hash marks. It's the first time Holtz has called passing plays to the middle of the field at that rate this season. As I pointed out in another thread last week J'Mar hadn't completed a pass to the middle of the field since the possibly the South Carolina game.

In watching his receivers during the game and then going back and watching the line play on video two things really stood out to me. First, FAU was very aggressive on defense and overplaying the receivers. But instead of breaking off routes and coming back to the football most of our receivers chose to run through the route with no hope of getting open. Then to make matters worse J'Mar would stand in the pocket and wait for people to break open rather than seeing the green grass in front of him and taking off. After 2 to 3 seconds in the pocket if a QB sees his receivers aren't going to adjust he needs to ditch the play and get what he can.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    I don't know if it was his best performance, but it was certainly one of them. He stepped up in the pocket and fired some big-time throws on the money. He scanned the field way more than I've seen him do in previous games. There were several plays where he literally scanned every receiver (and none of them were open) before he either got sacked or escaped for a gain. The biggest problem yesterday wasn't J'Mar but rather our receivers' inability to get open. Teddy Veal was injured early in that game, and he was fought his way to 112 yards and a TD on 6 catches. Rhashid Bonnette also was banged up and sat out a number of plays. That's our top two receivers. We aren't great with them at full strength, but we're below mediocre when they are out. We desperately need an impact player at wide receiver. Maybe Alfred Smith can help in that area if he ever gets healthy. Hell, I know Amik and Jaiden Cole are explosive players. Can they not get a couple of reps at receiver to help with some explosiveness? Our wide receiver corps simply is not getting the job done.
    I think this game could be a the beginning of a turning point for J'Mar. You're right he did make some big time throws. One was so early to Hardy it was a miracle he caught it - early passes haven't exactly been J'Mars problem. He still didn't look great, looked pretty bad at times, but he did enough to start to rebuild some confidence. Our receivers are getting a little healthier. With J'Mar getting more confident and his receivers coming back, we are going to win at UTEP and I bet we beat UTSA too.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    After 2 to 3 seconds in the pocket if a QB sees his receivers aren't going to adjust he needs to ditch the play and get what he can.
    Turned in a respectable rushing game too. DBs are losing their eyes and J'Mar is finding his legs. WTF

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I have already given Smith props for having a "good" game vs. FAU. And, yes, in fairness, there were quite a few passes thrown between the hashes. I liked to have jumped out of my seat (well, where I stand, I don't sit) on the first slant. Then, OMG! we followed it up with more slants. And, the gravy on the chicken is, Smith looked good making those passes.

Our WRs....yeah, I suppose we can chalk it up to inexperience for some of them, but others, like Veal, should know better. I'm talking about helping your QB out by breaking off your routes and mostly COMING BACK TO THE QB!!!! My gosh, get yourself open and present a viable target for your QB! That's Football Passing Game 101. Basic stuff.

+ Reply to Thread