+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Aints

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: The Aints

Back in September, an 0-2 start, it didn't look very promising. Losing to the Vikes and Pats. Losing to the Pats, even at home, is disappointing, but not Earth-shattering, except the Saints didn't lose a close, competitive game, they got rocked 36-20, and the outcome was never in doubt. No one knew back then the Vikes are that good. We know now the Saints opened with two legit Super Bowl contenders.

You all know I LOVE defense! And the Saints are doing okay in that area. Thought I heard 'em say the Saints are 10th in total defense this year. I think. Which means they are pretty good, but that's not top 5, so more room for improvement. The year the Saints won the SB we were 15th in total defense but went crazy forcing turnovers, we had 39 take-aways that year, many at critical times in the game. Such as the 100 yd INT return vs. the Eagles when we were about to lose that one. Or when we were beat by the lousy Redskins, and Meachem stole the ball from their DB after Brees had just thrown the game-ending INT. The Saints, who started 13-0 that year, "stole" at least 3 of those wins away in the closing seconds with a take-away.

The 2017 defense is actually better than that 2009 team. Just not as many take-aways. I did like that "butt pick" yesterday!

Brees. He's barely adequate as a QB now. He's still as smart as ever, and is a good game manager. But, he is not a championship-caliber QB any longer. He is no threat to run. Yesterday on a 3rd and 3 he rolled to his right, after being flushed from the pocket and could have dashed for about 5 yards and gotten the first down. Instead he ended up throwing it away and the Saints punted. His arm strength is noticeably lacking. He can't make some of the throws he used to make routinely. All the "Brees is god" worshipers don't like to hear this. My sister and brother-in-law, who have season tix for the Saints, say I am nuts. I say they are blinded by "the big picture," Brees' remarkable career, and do not see what he is now, in 2017. Brees IS a good QB, yes. Still better than most of the other 32 starting QBs in the league. But he is not a championship QB.

But....the Saints can still win something, even with Brees at QB. After all, the Ravens won the Super Bowl with the crappy Trent Dilfer at QB. The Raiders won with Jim Plunket, and there are other examples. DEFENSE and a solid running game wins championships. Which, BTW, the Saints were 6th in rushing the year they won the SB. So, it was more than Brees that got it done then.

Regardless of what happens this year, it beats being 7-9.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    Tell all this to the falcons
    The interesting thing is that much of what was discussed in this thread still applies today. Loomis was not the architect of the overhauled roster. Jeff Ireland was responsible for that. I am hoping he's still with the Saints next year.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    The interesting thing is that much of what was discussed in this thread still applies today. Loomis was not the architect of the overhauled roster. Jeff Ireland was responsible for that. I am hoping he's still with the Saints next year.
    I was trying to respond to the comments preceding yours. I hope we can get by the bucs next week.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Going to be a really interesting divisional series. My hope is that the Saints and the Dirty Birds both take care of business so the Saints can get the NFC championship in the dome. Love to beat the Falcons!

Who Dat!
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Going to be a really interesting divisional series. My hope is that the Saints and the Dirty Birds both take care of business so the Saints can get the NFC championship in the dome. Love to beat the Falcons!

Who Dat!
    We Dat!!

I agree!

Awesome game yesterday that could have imploded for the Saints. They are an incredibly young team with a ton of year ending injuries of their starters (another yesterday) . But so many young players and new signings have stepped up and played amazing.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    We Dat!!

I agree!

Awesome game yesterday that could have imploded for the Saints. They are an incredibly young team with a ton of year ending injuries of their starters (another yesterday) . But so many young players and new signings have stepped up and played amazing.
    I thought you were boycotting the NFL?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I thought you were boycotting the NFL?
    Cancelled my Saints suite tickets for next year already. How about you?
    Oh wait...you really don't have a real team to support or to drop right? Plus my team isn't protesting.

Jealous of the Saints' success much? "There's still good in you I can tell. Turn from the Jerry Jones dark side".

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

The Golden Globes and Oprah

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Cancelled my Saints suite tickets for next year already. How about you?
    Oh wait...you really don't have a real team to support or to drop right? Plus my team isn't protesting.

Jealous of the Saints' success much? "There's still good in you I can tell. Turn from the Jerry Jones dark side".
    No, my NFL viewership (such as it is) has remained unchanged this season.

If I have something else going on, I don't watch. When it's convenient I remain entertained by the product. I generally keep up with the overall state of the league and naturally consume a considerable amount of media about the team I cheer for (which is also the local team to me).

They've been largely unimpressive for a long time, yes. And also yes, they occasionally provide me with disincentives to following very closely.

I'm not jealous of the Saints. At least not any more than any other team that's won a Super Bowl in the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The Golden Globes and Oprah
    I boycotted the Golden Globes, but not for any political reasons.

I didn't watch because I find that kind of thing really boring.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Justified

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Cancelled my Saints suite tickets for next year already.
    Wish I could've bought them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Justified

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

We Dat!!

I agree!

Yesterday's injury was a huge blow to their Super Bowl hopes. Andrus Peat gone with a broken leg. That's the ninth season ending injury for the year for a Saint's starter. It poses a big matchup problem for the Saints against the Vikings with their front seven.

In November the Saints had to start going to the street to sign replacements who have had to contribute. But how many times is that going to work?

The Falcons played extremely well on Saturday. They are one team that hasn't been hit by the injury bug this season.

Well, that sucked.

+ Reply to Thread