+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Changes Needed

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Coaching Changes Needed

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    Looser and faster isn’t going to make Jmar more accurate. He already has terrible mechanics according to some.
    It won't make him more accurate...it might make being accurate a little less essential.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Depends on how you define care I suppose. I just wondered given the fact that the last sentence of the post you responded to concurred that the OL was a problem and had been for years. Perhaps I wasn't explicit enough for you. I agree with Monty that the OL issues need to be addressed.

Further, I've NEVER said I was satisfied with the offense. I just don't think firing Fitch is going to change much (as I believe PD has already said himself...more or less).
    So, according to you, it's the OL's fault that we have a QB that --almost EVERY reasonable QB observer agrees-- holds the football far too long on too many plays? If you go back and listen to the Hawaii Bowl broadcast, the color analyst for that game took J'Mar to task repeatedly on the air for holding the football too long. He said it caused J'Mar to miss too many wide open receiver opportunities. This is something many of us have been saying for 2 years.

I don't doubt that our OL could be fine tuned to perform a little better. But the majority of our offensive problems have been QB & coaching (play call) related. If that 4th down & 1 call from our own 25-yd line the other night (when we were already trailing 7-3 on the scoreboard) didn't convince you that we have a coaching problem on offense, nothing ever will.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LTUIronDawg View Post
    I've been hearing that Ruston High wants Rattay. Not that it matters.
    Ruston hired WM's QB coach in August to gain a little knowledge of the WM offense.

Guess we see how that worked out.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

If Holtz is micromanaging the offense and he stays, everything stays the same anyway right? What does canning Fitch help?
    I never said it would help. The guy does not deserve to be here making the money he makes to do nothing. It won't hurt to make another hire. Our offense is horrible. Holtz owes it to the fans to make a change even though we know he is really the problem. He will never admit that,

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Holtz called the plays with Sokol, Driskel, and Higgins right? Isn't that why Peterson left? We don't have a premier running back or a consistent quarterback. I certainly understand why Holtz didn't bring in a grad transfer after Driskel left or even Jmar's first year as starter. He should have landed McMillan or young Driskel or someone for this year but I guess he was thinking Jmar's grasp of the scheme and another year of maturity would be enough. It wasn't. It's not like he doesn't show flashes of making plays and he is sometimes confidently competitive. You simply can't bottle up the bowl game J'mar.

Now, I have seen coaches trade bad for worse at Quarterback (see LSU) and I'm sure Holtz has too. I'm also convinced neither Griffin or Allen were the answer. Some say Abraham would have been but I thought J'mar looked better than him head-to-head (he didn't win that game for Southern Miss nor did Smith lose the game for LaTech). Anyway, this wasn't the season to attempt a quarterback carousel at LaTech.

I think we would be well served by bringing in a transfer this off season. Search high and low. If J'mar wins the first start, he needs someone breathing down his neck.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

It won't make him more accurate...it might make being accurate a little less essential.
    Hmm. I can’t believe you thought that thru before posting.

A qb Has to be accurate or we could just let a rb play the position.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Accuracy is on a gradient. If your QB struggles with it, there are schemes that help minimize his deficiency.

I’ve been reading your posts long enough to know that you know that.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

The college football landscape is littered with QBs with accuracy issues. Some have other attributes that outweigh their deficiencies, others have coaches who call to their strengths and bear out the weaknesses. It's Holtz's dilemma and he's paid to figure it out. It's not as easy as some suggest, but it's his job so I don't mind the second guessing.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t believe “turning Jmar loose” is gonna miraculously change our team.

His throws are erratic, his decision making is questionable, he is hestitant at running or passing, he doesn’t like contact.

I don’t want a Michael Vick back there. Those guys just don’t hold up too well. I want an accurate pocket passer that is athletic enough to run if needed.

I also want play calling taken away from Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    So, according to you, it's the OL's fault that we have a QB that --almost EVERY reasonable QB observer agrees-- holds the football far too long on too many plays? If you go back and listen to the Hawaii Bowl broadcast, the color analyst for that game took J'Mar to task repeatedly on the air for holding the football too long. He said it caused J'Mar to miss too many wide open receiver opportunities. This is something many of us have been saying for 2 years.

I don't doubt that our OL could be fine tuned to perform a little better. But the majority of our offensive problems have been QB & coaching (play call) related. If that 4th down & 1 call from our own 25-yd line the other night (when we were already trailing 7-3 on the scoreboard) didn't convince you that we have a coaching problem on offense, nothing ever will.
    Yeah...pretty sure you're not reading what I've been writing. I never said we don't have coaching problems. In fact, I've been saying our coaching is the primary issue with the offense (see the "suggestion" I offered).

"Everybody" knows Fitch isn't calling the plays. Hell, questioning Rattay's work with the QBs can lead you to the threshold of banishment! So, what is shuffling the underlings going to do to improve our offense?

This, "we deserve action" mantra...while admitting the action won't actually change anything is bewildering to me.

His throws are erratic, his decision making is questionable, he is hestitant at running or passing, he doesn’t like contact.

I don’t want a Michael Vick back there. Those guys just don’t hold up too well. I want an accurate pocket passer that is athletic enough to run if needed.

There's what you want and what you got. I'd like Tim to be taking the snaps again...or maybe the Luke McCown/Kenneth Dixon combo would make us exciting again? I'm sure it would, but that's not what we got.

I'm betting that Skip will never give up play-calling. So, if he insists on the offense like we've seen it, he better go out and get a QB who can run it. But, even if he doesn't, we'll win 6-7 in down years and he's not likely to get fired. So, hunker down!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

We only have four basic plays/sets.

Our QB has run better out of those limited sets when he appears to have the green light to run or throw. This "green light" only happened maybe 6(?) total quarters throughout the year. Holtz was asked why he didn't allow it more by Nick Brown and Aaron Dietrich. Both times he said he didn't want to risk turnovers.

So there we have it. Turnovers are bad. Losing games is acceptable.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    These two need to be changed asap, but when it happens we are likely to have them replaced with more old friends of Holtz who are part of the coaching establishment.

https://latechsports.com/coaches.asp...&path=football

https://latechsports.com/coaches.asp...&path=football

If Holtz does not make changes in this staff he is saying that what we saw this year is as good as we can do. Also, look for Blake Baker to be hired away soon and for Holtz to become more involved in the defense again.
    The last few years a lot of folks had been calling for Baker's head. Why the sudden turn around?

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    The last few years a lot of folks had been calling for Baker's head. Why the sudden turn around?
    People were calling for Baker's head in 2016. Not so much in 2017 or this year. Fans generally blame the DC long before blaming the OC, or in our case, the HC who is really the OC. The defense can give up 21 points, but if the offense only scores 20 many fans blame the defense.

FWIW, fans were hating on our DC in 2011 when our defense bailed us out many times. In 2012 it was all his fault. Many of our fans didn't like the job Diaz was doing until he was hired away and those same fans were irate that we didn't have him "under contract".

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    Not sure if this is a joke, but would he leave to be a head coach at a HS with college and semi-pro coaching experience because he thinks it’ll fast-track his career goal? This man needs to be our OC. Immediately
    I think so also.

+ Reply to Thread