+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UTEP and Rice Talking to MWC

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: UTEP and Rice Talking to MWC

Quote Originally Posted by talonofdeath View Post
    From a Southern Miss message board:
    We should plan to pull together a true southern based conference.
    USM
    La Tech
    ULL
    South Alabama
    UAB
    Troy
    MTSU
    Ga Southern
    WKU
    All play all in football. Round robin in hoops. Everyone plays all major sports. Leave TX and FL behind.
    Make a deal with ESPN to pioneer an over-the-top app broadcast deal which will eventually be what every conference must do when the cable bundle bubble bursts. And it will burst because cable as it is offered now is doomed. Offer it for syndication like the American network does. We have to get outside the box here.

That my friends is depressing,and it comes from a looong time supporter of the program. If UTEP & Rice leave, I say ADD NO MORE TEAMS. Don't water-down the conference anymore than it already has been. May as well drop the F-U schools in Florida while were at it. Keep Marshall,LaTech,WKU & USM as the core of the football teams (although I still feel like WKU is a 2 year flash in the pan....with only 16k present for a Conference Championship game) We need to do something since the tv rights are to be renegotiated in 2016, and it's my understanding we will not be much better off $$ wise than the sunbelt.
    Your friends have lost their minds.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by talonofdeath View Post
    From a Southern Miss message board:
    We should plan to pull together a true southern based conference.
    USM
    La Tech
    ULL
    South Alabama
    UAB
    Troy
    MTSU
    Ga Southern
    WKU
    All play all in football. Round robin in hoops. Everyone plays all major sports. Leave TX and FL behind.
    Make a deal with ESPN to pioneer an over-the-top app broadcast deal which will eventually be what every conference must do when the cable bundle bubble bursts. And it will burst because cable as it is offered now is doomed. Offer it for syndication like the American network does. We have to get outside the box here.

That my friends is depressing,and it comes from a looong time supporter of the program. If UTEP & Rice leave, I say ADD NO MORE TEAMS. Don't water-down the conference anymore than it already has been. May as well drop the F-U schools in Florida while were at it. Keep Marshall,LaTech,WKU & USM as the core of the football teams (although I still feel like WKU is a 2 year flash in the pan....with only 16k present for a Conference Championship game) We need to do something since the tv rights are to be renegotiated in 2016, and it's my understanding we will not be much better off $$ wise than the sunbelt.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogDawg View Post
    Exactly.

My 2 cents is Houston and 1 other will move to the Big 12 before a change in the MWC....not sure what that means but will precipitate movement.
    The folks at UH are doing everything they can - money wise and winning to be positioned for when the B12 expands! I personally think it will happen and some of their BIG Donors - ie - John Moores, Tillman Fiertita, etc. will pony up millions! I also think that Cincy will go with them as a travel partner for WVU.

If that happens, I would like to see the AAC folks look to shore up their league with 16 solid G5 schools and maybe look like this;

East - UConn, UMass, ECU, Marshall, Temple, Navy, Army, Memphis
    West - SMU, Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, UCF, USF, So Miss, La Tech

Solid football and should be a three invite team to NCAA's in bball! I know Memphis and Tulane would not love it, but survival may be a bigger motivator???? More than likely they would just add UMass & Rice for TV markets and to keep their Champ Game, but 16 team leagues maybe the next Big Thing, if the B10 does it????

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    The folks at UH are doing everything they can - money wise and winning to be positioned for when the B12 expands! I personally think it will happen and some of their BIG Donors - ie - John Moores, Tillman Fiertita, etc. will pony up millions! I also think that Cincy will go with them as a travel partner for WVU.

If that happens, I would like to see the AAC folks look to shore up their league with 16 solid G5 schools and maybe look like this;

Solid football and should be a three invite team to NCAA's in bball! I know Memphis and Tulane would not love it, but survival may be a bigger motivator???? More than likely they would just add UMass & Rice for TV markets and to keep their Champ Game, but 16 team leagues maybe the next Big Thing, if the B10 does it????
    Love it!

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

About the best theoretical conference I've seen. Would be a step forward for us were it to happen.

Imagine Memphis would prefer to be in the west opposite Uconn so maybe UCF swaps places with them.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

You wouldn't want the Florida teams and the Texas teams in the same division.

Also, Northern Illinois would likely be in there somewhere.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

That would be an awesome conference!

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Rice, UTEP being mentioned as Mountain West discusses expansion

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    We will eventually have to move. I would like for us and USM to stick together, if possible. The West does seem move viable, though. It is all about perception and, let's face it, CUSA has 4 name teams - Tech, Rice, USM, and UTEP. I could throw in Marshall for good measure, actually.

MWC or AAC would be a good next move, since we are not getting into a P conference anytime soon. If you aren't moving forward, you are going backward and, as teams move out of CUSA, we would definitely be moving backwards if we stay. I like the time zone and travel of the AAC and CUSA better than MWC, though. The F-U's did nothing for our name recognition.
    With all due respect to Southern Miss, there's no need for us to "stick together." It's nice that we are in the same conference, but Southern Miss and Mississippi really don't offer much to Tech. It think it's far more important that we stick with Rice for many reasons (academics, alumni, recruiting, enrollment, etc.).
    Last edited by Dawg06; 12-14-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Rice, UTEP being mentioned as Mountain West discusses expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    With all due respect to Southern Miss, there's no need for us to "stick together." It's nice that we are in the same conference, but Southern Miss and Mississippi really don't offer much to Tech. It think it's far more important that we stick with Rice for many reasons (academics, alumni, recruiting, enrollment, etc.).
    I agree that it is not a necessity. It is just one of those old rivalries that I like. I do understand the importance of Rice, as well. I would like to stick with teams that have name recognition. In our current conference, that would be Southern Miss, Rice, UTEP, and Marshall. The AAC certainly has more of them and the MWC does, as well. Personally, I don't care anything about being associated with N. Texas, UTSA, the F-U's, MTSU, and WKU (although, surprisingly, WKU is the least objectionable to me). ODU is even okay....... There are certain names (and we have a name like this) that people know.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

According to Memphis people, the duo will be Memphis and Cincinnati, not Houston. And this has been widely broadcast as a done deal. With your statement, the question will be who has the most money to throw around - Memphis or Houston?

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I would prefer that Tech and USM stick together for as long as they can. There is a lot of history and even more future ahead of these two programs.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    That would be an awesome conference!
    Then the MWC add BYU, Witchita, UTEP & UTSA to get to 16 and we let the MAC, Sunbelt & the leftovers from CUSA fend for themselves!

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    According to Memphis people, the duo will be Memphis and Cincinnati, not Houston. And this has been widely broadcast as a done deal. With your statement, the question will be who has the most money to throw around - Memphis or Houston?
    Lolwut? Apparently Memphis got their hands on some of whatever Lafayette's been smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    There is something every week in the Chronicle about UH trying to get included. It's going to be a donnybrook if Memphis beats them in!

+ Reply to Thread