+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Tech Past - Tech vs. Eastern Michigan - 30 Years Ago

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

In Tech Past - Tech vs. Eastern Michigan - 30 Years Ago

The 30th anniversary of Chris Boniol's FG at Eastern Michigan was a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cT9_VvJZAU

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Re: In Tech Past - Tech vs. Eastern Michigan - 30 Years Ago

That kick would have been good from 60.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

The 1991 game with Eastern Michigan was one of the most memorable road trips in Tech history.

The team traveled to EMU on Saturday morning for a Saturday night game after its Friday morning flight took off and landed back in Monroe just minutes after take off because of an engine problem.

Tech was chartering a Continental Airlines 727. The left engine was the problem heading to EMU. It began to smoke a few minutes after takeoff.

Continental flew several mechanics from Houston to Monroe to repair the engine that Friday afternoon. When the travel party was told we would be taking the same plane the next morning at least a dozen boosters decided to stay home.

The team returned after the game, making for long Saturday. It's the only flight trip game I've been able to find in the past 50 years where the team left and returned on the same day.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Remember that game well. Another Joe Raymond Peace team with a backbone. Didn't let the travel woes bother them. Not enough to lose the game. Can just imagine how the snowflakes of today would react. I don't just mean Tech players, I mean any and all players in general.

Like how excited the two refs are! They were like, wow! what a kick...let's be demonstrative in signaling it's good!

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I decided that Sat morning to catch flight to DFW and drove to Waco. It was worth it

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

It's the only flight trip game I've been able to find in the past 50 years where the team left and returned on the same day.
    I remember that the team flew late Saturday morning on two planes for a Saturday night game in College Station back in the 1980s. One of the planes had an issue with the landing gear that caused emergency crews to be called out to the runway just in case. That plane did land safely.

I think you are thinking of a different game. Baylor in 1992. This was the previous year.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I want to see one of these fake punt plays: (see the 2:56 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMS4TH7OW8

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are thinking of a different game. Baylor in 1992. This was the previous year.
    I was at the game and the team planes landed at the airport just southwest of and within sight of Kyle Field. It was definitely not in Waco because the Waco Regional Airport is on the other side of Waco Lake from where Floyd Casey Stadium used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    I was at the game and the team planes landed at the airport just southwest of and within sight of Kyle Field. It was definitely not in Waco because the Waco Regional Airport is on the other side of Waco Lake from where Floyd Casey Stadium used to be.
    Frisco. My comment wasn't for you. It was for Stodgdog. Bonial's FG is this game was really similar to his FG the next year at Baylor.

But thanks for the heads up about A&M. Great info.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I want to see one of these fake punt plays: (see the 2:56 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMS4TH7OW8
    That 1997-99 team was LOADED!!! Cangelosi, Jordan, Simon, Tell, Bradley and of course, Timmy Terrific and Troy Edwards. (and others...)

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was 1992. I thought we won with a field goal

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    Yes, it was 1992. I thought we won with a field goal
    We did. We beat Baylor in the season opener in 1992 with a Boniol field goal. I presume that's the game you attended.

This clip is from 1991 when we beat Eastern Michigan with a Boniol field goal.

We did. We beat Baylor in the season opener in 1992 with a Boniol field goal. I presume that's the game you attended.

This clip is from 1991 when we beat Eastern Michigan with a Boniol field goal.
    Man, I get confused. How do you remember all this in such detail?

+ Reply to Thread