+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we do crowd funding as a university?

Puppy sxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the rough

Should we do crowd funding as a university?

https://ignite.olemiss.edu/project/5434027009206526352932a9

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11663267/ole-miss-rebels-fans-raise-money-pay-damages-fines-upset-alabama-crimson-tide

I personally think this is genius. I would love to buy something or donate if I knew the money was going to go to a specific small project. Michael White could sign 50 basketballs and sell them for a ridiculous amount of money. Or get Paul Millsap to donate 50 signed Louisiana Tech jerseys or balls or something. I think we could do crowd funding. Heck Tim Rattay could sell signed pictures of him as a QB and i'd buy em! I'd pay $10 for a worthless item online if I knew the money was going to go to renovating the bathrooms in the TAC....

What do ya'll think about crowd funding for universities to get small projects done. And have a budget and a goal that gets closer with every donation?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: Should we do crowd funding as a university?

It is just a scaled-down version of major project fundraising, with a lot more flash. It could work only if we had people that can actually work it.

Puppy sxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the roughsxg023 is a jewel in the rough

How hard can it be? I mean hippies use it to fund silly art projects... I would be more likely to give $50 to 10 different projects throughout the year than I am to write one $500 check to a general fund. And I would think our school would have lots of small projects they would like to do.

Renovating the TAC restrooms? an electronic billboard on campus or on tech drive? new banners in the TAC? I'm sure the members of this board could come up with a million ideas for small projects around campus. Even things as small as putting new benches in the quad or new computers in a building. I just want to get other peoples feelings on it.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a great idea. But I agree with JB that we probably dont have anyone who can handle this.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sxg023 View Post
    How hard can it be? I mean hippies use it to fund silly art projects... I would be more likely to give $50 to 10 different projects throughout the year than I am to write one $500 check to a general fund. And I would think our school would have lots of small projects they would like to do.

Renovating the TAC restrooms? an electronic billboard on campus or on tech drive? new banners in the TAC? I'm sure the members of this board could come up with a million ideas for small projects around campus. Even things as small as putting new benches in the quad or new computers in a building. I just want to get other peoples feelings on it.
    BBB has done a lot of small projects.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sxg023 View Post
    https://ignite.olemiss.edu/project/5434027009206526352932a9

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11663267/ole-miss-rebels-fans-raise-money-pay-damages-fines-upset-alabama-crimson-tide

I personally think this is genius. I would love to buy something or donate if I knew the money was going to go to a specific small project. Michael White could sign 50 basketballs and sell them for a ridiculous amount of money. Or get Paul Millsap to donate 50 signed Louisiana Tech jerseys or balls or something. I think we could do crowd funding. Heck Tim Rattay could sell signed pictures of him as a QB and i'd buy em! I'd pay $10 for a worthless item online if I knew the money was going to go to renovating the bathrooms in the TAC....

What do ya'll think about crowd funding for universities to get small projects done. And have a budget and a goal that gets closer with every donation?
    BBB was doing this before it was a thing.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I think LTAC should look at grassroots drives in communities. Organize LTAC chairmen and committees in a bunch of cities and/or parishes. Let those people get out and hit up their fellow Tech graduates in an annual drive and recognize those communities and individuals in the LTAC list.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I think LTAC should look at grassroots drives in communities. Organize LTAC chairmen and committees in a bunch of cities and/or parishes. Let those people get out and hit up their fellow Tech graduates in an annual drive and recognize those communities and individuals in the LTAC list.
    I agree, I've always thought we should have Alumni Chapters, setup by the Alumni Association. NWTAG does a great job and was founded on the backs of the alumni, with little help from the Alumni Association, which should be shameful to the Alumni Director. I could easily see us having Alumni Chapters in NOLA, BR, Acadiana (Lafayette-Morgan City), Lake Charles, Houston, and Dallas if they had some support/guidance from the Alumni Association.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

Um let me think about this....yeah. I actually think we have tried this on a small scale a few years ago but not sure the energy and effort from the top was put in to make it work. We don't have that problem now.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

The only get togethers we have in Houston have either been golf (I quit 30 years ago) or boiled crawfish. The most recent being at a famous local cajun restaurant aptly named the "Ragin' Cajun". They have LSU yearbooks stacked to the ceiling. Actually the original owner was a CA from Beaumont/Port Arthur who might have gone to USL but more than likely Lamar. He has since sold out to a local restaurant entrepreneur.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    I agree, I've always thought we should have Alumni Chapters, setup by the Alumni Association. NWTAG does a great job and was founded on the backs of the alumni, with little help from the Alumni Association, which should be shameful to the Alumni Director. I could easily see us having Alumni Chapters in NOLA, BR, Acadiana (Lafayette-Morgan City), Lake Charles, Houston, and Dallas if they had some support/guidance from the Alumni Association.
    Has been brought up several times. The answer every time is we don't have chapters per se. I tried organizing Dallas a couple of years ago and there was little follow through. I put together the games watching parties for 3-4 years but it got harder and harder to find places willing to show our games.

The biggest hurdle is they always wanted to have Houston or Dallas be one group. It doesn't work like that in big cities especially ones as spread out as those two. There needs to be several chapters in the DFW area or the greater Houston area and they can come together on certain projects and events.

You could easily have Dallas, North Dallas, and Fort Worth. You could have a 3-4 in Houston as well.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar

Last year, the alumni association "road shows" had 2 events in Houston in 2 different locations on 2 consecutive nights. The events were 60 miles apart but on 2 opposite sides of Houston.

I thought this allowed people in different parts of the city or attend that may not normally be able to attend due to distance/traffic.

My point is I think the alumni association now understands how spread out Dallas and Houston are.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I can use a new camera. Love that new Cano7DMarkII.:icon_wink:
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

LaTech Re: Should we do crowd funding as a university?

I can use a new camera. Love that new Cano7DMarkII.
    :icon_wink:
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread