+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LA Tech, Rice Football Game Postponed - latechsports.com

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: LA Tech, Rice Football Game Postponed - latechsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
    Are you suggesting that Dr. Wood isn’t telling the truth in his assessment of the current situation?
    Wow. That just went right over your head, didn't it.

No, I'm saying that a college football team is NOT SUPPOSED CANCEL GAMES due to team injuries, which is the primary excuse the "Dr Wood" gave us. THAT'S the excuse he gave us. TEAM INJURIES.

I can't make it any more clear than that.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

No, I'm saying that a college football team is NOT SUPPOSED CANCEL GAMES due to team injuries, which is the primary excuse the "Dr Wood" gave us. THAT'S the excuse he gave us. TEAM INJURIES.

In a normal year, sure. If you have a crazy number of injuries at one position, that's just tough. You play a WR at QB and just do the best you can. Or you move your biggest TE in to play tackle.

But this year, it's injuries + COVID leaving you under a threshold of available players and the conference (and all the other conferences) will allow/encourage a postponement.

He didn't say TEAM INJURIES. He said team injuries, COVID positives, and contact tracing (related to the positive COVID tests).

Obviously college fans want to see games played. But whether it's your team or another team, do you really want to see football played with a bunch of out of position guys? I'll admit I also like the idea of seeing who can get creative and who can overcome and who has the depth/talent to just shuffle guys around. But I don't think it's a great idea to have to have DL or TE or MLB playing OL (especially if the other team has a fully functional DL). That's just a recipe for getting your QB(s) crushed.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    In a normal year, sure. If you have a crazy number of injuries at one position, that's just tough. You play a WR at QB and just do the best you can. Or you move your biggest TE in to play tackle.

But this year, it's injuries + COVID leaving you under a threshold of available players and the conference (and all the other conferences) will allow/encourage a postponement.

He didn't say TEAM INJURIES. He said team injuries, COVID positives, and contact tracing (related to the positive COVID tests).

Obviously college fans want to see games played. But whether it's your team or another team, do you really want to see football played with a bunch of out of position guys? I'll admit I also like the idea of seeing who can get creative and who can overcome and who has the depth/talent to just shuffle guys around. But I don't think it's a great idea to have to have DL or TE or MLB playing OL (especially if the other team has a fully functional DL). That's just a recipe for getting your QB(s) crushed.
    You don't have to go far to read Dr Wood's statement. It's in post #1 on this thread. He said:

"Injuries have really affected the position and now a couple of COVID positives along with contact tracings (whatever the hell this means) to the same group have made this decision for us."
    I remind you that football teams don't cancel football games due to injuries. If they do, they eat a forfeit.

So, now we're cancelling football games over "a couple" of COVID positives? Which --by the way-- are attributed to the same OL group that supposedly was the source of earlier cancellations this eason (e.g., Baylor).

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

You don't have to go far to read Dr Wood's statement. It's in post #1 on this thread. He said:

I remind you that football teams don't cancel football games due to injuries. If they do, they eat a forfeit.

So, now we're cancelling football games over "a couple" of COVID positives? Which --by the way-- are attributed to the same OL group that supposedly was the source of earlier cancellations this eason (e.g., Baylor).
    I believe the conference set some guidelines for this season. You have to have X number of available players at each position. Maybe even scholarship players. That's not just a Tech thing, it's a Conference USA thing. And the other conferences have similar rules. I assume that "normal" injuries are allowed to be a factor in that math. I don't know what would be allowed if the problem was strictly injuries (I assume that at least part of the shortage must be due to COVID). If the threshold is that you must have 8 OL on scholarship and you lost all but 7 to sprained hamstrings, I don't know what they'd do. Or if you lost all but 9 to strained hamstrings but then 2 tested positive and had to sit out for COVID, if that would work (I think so, and I think that's more or less what you're reading above - we must have X to play, we got down to X+Y due to "normal" injuries, but then Y+1 have to be out due to COVID). So we're under the threshold. That seems pretty straightforward to me.

The contact tracing you don't understand above is when a player has been around a positive COVID case and has to isolate or test negative a certain number of times before they can play. That obviously bumps your numbers up a lot per each positive (because of course the football players are around each other a lot). I thought Skip actually sounded fairly annoyed about this part in prior weeks, particularly when the timing of the positive tests happened too late in the week to either adjust the depth chart for practice or clear the "contact tracing" players, some of whom aren't actually infected. This has been consistently (and wisely, to me) part of his argument for playing both QBs a lot, you just never know when one or the other might find our he's out on like Thursday or Friday, so the other guy has to have some real practice reps and decent game time experience so he'll be as ready to go as possible.

We aren't remotely the only team in this boat. It's all been fairly standardized by now.

The statements are pretty vague, which obviously is going to feed conspiracy theories like yours. I saw MD's post about hippa and how we all ought to be told the details on this stuff. I guess you could make that argument, but I'm not sure how much detail we "deserve" or "need" or why. Would it change anything?

I'm sure the details of the conference plan/requirements are out there, but 2 seconds of googling just got me the general press releases of "we have a plan."

The Board approved return to play safety measures for fall sports and adopted the NCAA Resocialization of Collegiate Sport: Developing Standards for Practice and Competition with required testing standards for Conference USA schools and the requirement that opponents operate by the same standards. The Board also committed to ensuring the accountability of all athletic programs and affirmed their commitment to follow and actively monitor testing and safety protocols and accurately report testing results.

“I am pleased with the careful consideration of our Board regarding the health and safety of our student athletes as well as their commitment to accountability," said Board Chair Dr. Les Guice, President, Louisiana Tech University.
    https://conferenceusa.com/news/2020/...l-updates.aspx

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Are you suggesting that Dr. Wood isn’t telling the truth in his assessment of the current situation?
    I think Dr. Wood might have overly open and honest with his assessment of the situation. Just saying injuries, much less opening with it, is just poor optics. I like that he said it, because to me it proves he is very honest.

Plus using the term "contact tracing" is very ambiguous and probably not great optics either. Let's imagine your running backs coach tests positive for covid during the week, the head coach could say we cannot play this week as I have no running backs able to play.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

He’s “Dr Wood” now? Don’t take TEAM INJURIES out of conext with the rest of what he said. He’s in the book, call him and ask.

He’s “Dr Wood” now? Don’t take TEAM INJURIES out of conext with the rest of what he said. He’s in the book, call him and ask.
    Call him and ask what? I know what he said. I can read it.

+ Reply to Thread