+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Should Ferguson Play?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Should Ferguson Play?

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Could cost lsu their bowl game and allow UCF to really boost their national perception even more.
    ....actually, I'd like to see that happen. It would be great to see all these schools that have players refusing to play in their bowl game LOSE that bowl game. Poetic justice.

IMO, this kind of behavior only serves to marginalized an already watered down bowl system that doesn't involved the 4 playoff teams. If the bowl game's aren't important to the players, why should they be important to the rest of us?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like somebody I know deleted quite a few posts.

Good decision my man!

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ....actually, I'd like to see that happen. It would be great to see all these schools that have players refusing to play in their bowl game LOSE that bowl game. Poetic justice.

IMO, this kind of behavior only serves to marginalized an already watered down bowl system that doesn't involved the 4 playoff teams. If the bowl game's aren't important to the players, why should they be important to the rest of us?
    The bowl system is indeed to watered down. Too many worthless games, too many mediocre teams involved, locations of games hard for fans to travel to and too many great players skipping the games. The only games that really matter are the playoff games. They determine a champion. At least one that is widely recognized. The conference championship games matter as they determine a champion. The rest of all post season games are very much like the college basketball regular season, okay for diehard fans. But most fans will only pay attention to their favorite team(s).

Varsity Bulldog diamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    One more thing...it is also possible for a player to enhance his draft status by shining in the bowl game. ESPN will be all over it...with their Plays of the Day, and hawking a great game, NUMBERS/STATS, from one of their televised bowl games. I think Trent Taylor enhanced his draft status with that awesome display vs. Navy.

Just something to consider....especially for someone so close to setting an historic record.
    Another player I remember enhancing his NFL prospects in a bowl was Houston Bates...holy hell did he have a HoD Bowl.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

I agree. At least these players are announcing that they won’t play early enough that people can cancel their travel plans or not buy tickets. If fans found out Wednesday before a game that a star player wasn’t even dressing, they should be pissed. And, as far as too many bowls....there absolutely are. Maybe any bowl which hosts a smaller crowd than at least 1 of the teams average attendance should be scrapped the following year. Make sure every bowl is hosted in a major metro area. Boise, Honolulu, Bahamas, and Shreveport do not need bowl games.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I agree. At least these players are announcing that they won’t play early enough that people can cancel their travel plans or not buy tickets. If fans found out Wednesday before a game that a star player wasn’t even dressing, they should be pissed. And, as far as too many bowls....there absolutely are. Maybe any bowl which hosts a smaller crowd than at least 1 of the teams average attendance should be scrapped the following year. Make sure every bowl is hosted in a major metro area. Boise, Honolulu, Bahamas, and Shreveport do not need bowl games.
    If bowl games in places like Boise, Honolulu, Bahamas, and Shreveport didn't exist, schools like ours would never go bowling. I was around back in the nineties when a 9 win Tech team that had cracked the Top 25 during the regular season ended up sitting at home during bowl season because the existing bowls took 6 or 7 win P5 teams over us.

Today's so called "meaningless" bowl games are no more "meaningless" than any of the bowl games any other year. The outcomes of only one or two of them determined who ended up being named national champion. All the other bowl games have always played for the hell of playing them.

Big Dog SundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to behold SundayJam's Avatar

More than a 100 years of tradition isn't meaningless. Bowl games are a final Hoorah for the seniors. They're a capstone for the coaching staff. They're a random matchup of teams which would otherwise never have played. La Tech and Hawaii should never have played each other again and yet...here we are again.

Last year's National Championship game...meaningless.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddawg31 View Post
    Another player I remember enhancing his NFL prospects in a bowl was Houston Bates...holy hell did he have a HoD Bowl.
    Yes he did! against his former school. Bates was very motivated that day, and I thought it was the ultimate "in your face Illini" for him to garner the MVP award!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Overall, I am an advocate for bowl games. Yeah....40....it's gotten a bit ridiculous. But, as we all know all too well! Tech has been absolutely screwed in the past, even when there were 20+ bowls. Some years were bigger travesties than others, like our 9-2 Dawgs who beat SEC Champion Bama, not making a bowl!

We also know the Independence Bowl was founded BECAUSE an 11-0 Arkansas State team, in 1975, had no bowl to go to. The I Bowl is now one of the older, continuously played bowls in existence. I don't like or agree with the current I Bowl powers-that-be, but I support the notion of it, and that Shreveport stepped up 42 years ago to right a wrong for the old Southland Conference. I look past Missy and her cohorts at the bigger picture.

As recently as 2011, and our game vs. TCU in the Poinsettia Bowl, bowls were held in the highest esteem. Remember two of our guys, Patton and Cole? I think it was, garnering national attention for sharing some of their bowl gifts with some under-privileged kids. I was more proud of them as people, than as players. And...it was a heckuva great game too!

This "Hawaii Bowl" marks only the 3rd time, since 1976, I will not be present in the stadium for a Tech bowl. The other two were San Diego and Boise...both losses.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

In today’s game, with tons more visibility and the fact that we are in a conference, a 9-3 Tech team will not be staying home unless IBowl disaster strikes again. A 9-3 team in CUSA is likely playing for and maybe winning the conference championship. That’s my opinion at least.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by SundayJam View Post
    More than a 100 years of tradition isn't meaningless. Bowl games are a final Hoorah for the seniors. They're a capstone for the coaching staff. They're a random matchup of teams which would otherwise never have played. La Tech and Hawaii should never have played each other again and yet...here we are again.

Last year's National Championship game...meaningless.
    I think its less that there are "too many" bowl games, but that some of the magic has been lost.

You've got kids sitting out the game for financial reasons, which makes sense. But it becomes a business decision.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    If bowl games in places like Boise, Honolulu, Bahamas, and Shreveport didn't exist, schools like ours would never go bowling. I was around back in the nineties when a 9 win Tech team that had cracked the Top 25 during the regular season ended up sitting at home during bowl season because the existing bowls took 6 or 7 win P5 teams over us.

Today's so called "meaningless" bowl games are no more "meaningless" than any of the bowl games any other year. The outcomes of only one or two of them determined who ended up being named national champion. All the other bowl games have always played for the hell of playing them.
    In 1980 there were 15 bowl games. By 1990 the number was up to 19 games. This year I think there are 40 bowl games. Today's standard to make a game is a joke. Have a 6-6 record and you are almost assured of making a bowl. Sure this system makes the liberal, snowflakes happy as everyone gets a trophy. But you get some really unappealing games and are awarding "historically speaking" undeserving teams. Not too mention many of the best players skip the games because to them and their schools the games are indeed no truly meaningless. Also give notice to how many people are in the stands at some of these games, not the announced attendance, but actual people in stands. A lot of these kids played before bigger crowds during high school then they will at their bowl game!

Make no mistake bowl games are not played for the hell of it. Bowl games are played to provide cheap, live programming for the ESPN networks. By the way 3 or 4 teams who won 6 games did not go bowling this year so there will be new bowl games pop up to accommodate them and to keep the trophy for everyone snowflakes happy.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    In 1980 there were 15 bowl games. By 1990 the number was up to 19 games. This year I think there are 40 bowl games. Today's standard to make a game is a joke. Have a 6-6 record and you are almost assured of making a bowl. Sure this system makes the liberal, snowflakes happy as everyone gets a trophy. But you get some really unappealing games and are awarding "historically speaking" undeserving teams. Not too mention many of the best players skip the games because to them and their schools the games are indeed no truly meaningless. Also give notice to how many people are in the stands at some of these games, not the announced attendance, but actual people in stands. A lot of these kids played before bigger crowds during high school then they will at their bowl game!

Make no mistake bowl games are not played for the hell of it. Bowl games are played to provide cheap, live programming for the ESPN networks. By the way 3 or 4 teams who won 6 games did not go bowling this year so there will be new bowl games pop up to accommodate them and to keep the trophy for everyone snowflakes happy.
    You must be a fun guy at family functions.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    The local tourism boards and chambers of commerce who work all year long to host a bowl game dont do it so ESPN can have cheap programming. Nor do they do it to promote some liberal snowflake trophy agenda.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

The liberal snowflake agenda of moderately increased tourism!

+ Reply to Thread