+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Student Attendance - Newest Deterrent

Bulldog brentcausey is a jewel in the roughbrentcausey is a jewel in the roughbrentcausey is a jewel in the roughbrentcausey is a jewel in the roughbrentcausey is a jewel in the roughbrentcausey is a jewel in the roughbrentcausey is a jewel in the roughbrentcausey is a jewel in the roughbrentcausey is a jewel in the roughbrentcausey is a jewel in the roughbrentcausey is a jewel in the rough

Re: Student Attendance - Newest Deterrent

Why not just let the students load their student ID into the tech app or into their phone like Louisiana is doing with your drivers license. So many easier alternatives.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

At one point I thought we were Louisiana TECH University. Don't we have professors and classes and special projects to go together for the betterment of the institution?

This putting the ID on a phone app is just right for the cyberengineering minds to tackle in milliseconds. Other examples?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    So they carry their phone, but not an ID. That's fine, but the process of getting the bar code is screwed up. Just show your ID, even if it is on your phone, and they waive you through. Oh, can't do that. Might get too many students in the game and some may not be legit.
    Thats likely the reason. If they aren’t scanning, anyone with a current ID gets in by flashing it.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brentcausey View Post
    Why not just let the students load their student ID into the tech app or into their phone like Louisiana is doing with your drivers license. So many easier alternatives.
    Yep. What was broken?

The goof balls who came up with this idea have not noticed that student attendance is going down over the past 5 years? BTW, overall attendance is going down while the team has been WINNING!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

OK, at first I didn’t think this was such a bad idea, but having read this thread I agree it needs lots of work. Letting them use either/or seems fine, or at the very least giving them an app to load their student ID on and get that scanned. No need to act like we’re Notre Dame and require them to do this, though.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Some brilliant employee(s) at Tech decided to do away with student IDs as the pass for students entering the games.

Now they students are required to go to LATechTix.com on their phone and log in with their student email. Every home game week they'll receive a text message to claim their ticket for the upcoming week's game. A barcode will be sent to their phone at a designated time and that is what they will show to enter the game. FWIW, they will also be able to PURCHASE guest tickets using this "platform".

Can't make this stupid crap up. I guess they were having a problem with too many students attending?
    This is the way this generation works and deals in their daily lives.
    Heck I see at least 65% of the average Joe, having scanned and downloaded tickets/bar codes on their phones, then scanning it with the attendant prior to walking down the gangway to board. These kids live on their phones. I've even done this. No big deal.

But would I have gone to this for our students...I'm not sure. But I imagine they will gather plenty of demographics and stats to glean data from and use to better attendance.

Varsity Bulldog ETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of light ETxBullDawg's Avatar

Just discussed with my student and he said you would not believe the number of students who have lost their ID so they just stay away from sports events. Upper classmen deem ID unimportant as they live off campus and dont need an ID as it is only now used for meal plans. You would have to search long and hard to find a student without a phone. He said this is a neutral event for him.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Once you move off campus its rarely necessary.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Heck I see at least 65% of the average Joe, having scanned and downloaded tickets/bar codes on their phones, then scanning it with the attendant prior to walking down the gangway to board. These kids live on their phones. I've even done this. No big deal.

But would I have gone to this for our students...I'm not sure. But I imagine they will gather plenty of demographics and stats to glean data from and use to better attendance.
    You've always sucked up to any new idea whether bad or good. This is a bad one and you are acting like a democrat for not accepting that.

Our attendance is going DOWN. Stop ignoring that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ETxBullDawg View Post
    Just discussed with my student and he said you would not believe the number of students who have lost their ID so they just stay away from sports events. Upper classmen deem ID unimportant as they live off campus and dont need an ID as it is only now used for meal plans. You would have to search long and hard to find a student without a phone. He said this is a neutral event for him.
    I guess my student is old school and still keeps a wallet in this pocket that includes his IDs and a little money. Not much, but I never encouraged the money clip idea.

If you guys think our already unmotivated students will go along with this insanity, you need to reconsider.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Tech is not in a position to require much to gain admittance or enjoy a game. Students should be waived through with whatever form of admission they have, ticket, bar code, or ID. Many families can’t drop $100-$120 on a single game and food truck cuisine. Our admin seems to run itself ragged trying to figure out ways to turn people away. Maybe the event staff doesn’t like to clean up trash so this is how our admin takes care of that?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ETxBullDawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    Once you move off campus its rarely necessary.
    You've always sucked up to any new idea whether bad or good. This is a bad one and you are acting like a democrat for not accepting that.

Our attendance is going DOWN. Stop ignoring that problem.
    I just disagree with you on this one.
    The topic was the phone scan. And my answer was , "But would I have gone to this for our students...I'm not sure."

I just don't see any negative. Again, high tech and IPhones is how this generation lives and breathes. No biggie IMHO.

I just don't see any negative. Again, high tech and IPhones is how this generation lives and breathes. No biggie IMHO.
    The negative is that students now only have one option if they want to get in the game (other than buying a ticket)

They have to ask for the barcode (it should go to every student without them having to ask).

The goof balls are saying that students not having ID's in order to get in the game was a problem. That's total BS!

They did this because this is what lsu and other "big schools" do.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I think there should be a plan B if mobile ticketing doesnt work (what if a student can't get connected, has a crappy phone, mobile data is slow due to traffic). Do they go up to ticket booth, show ID, and get a printed ticket?

Varsity Bulldog johnnyb019 is on top of his/her gamejohnnyb019 is on top of his/her gamejohnnyb019 is on top of his/her gamejohnnyb019 is on top of his/her gamejohnnyb019 is on top of his/her gamejohnnyb019 is on top of his/her gamejohnnyb019 is on top of his/her gamejohnnyb019 is on top of his/her gamejohnnyb019 is on top of his/her gamejohnnyb019 is on top of his/her gamejohnnyb019 is on top of his/her game

A small group of students came into the office today and I asked them if they heard anything about this. 3 of the 5 said they have heard about it the other 2 don't like sports of any kind so they don't care. I asked is this something they have a problem with. They said that they already do this for concerts and movies so its fine with them. they said they hope scanning the barcode works faster than swiping each id.

+ Reply to Thread