+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help a relatively newbie understand...

Varsity Bulldog techdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud of techdawg28's Avatar

Question Help a relatively newbie understand...

Please don't jump down my throat for asking this, but as a current student I haven't been around Tech athletics for very long and would like to understand the situation.

Why don't we play ULM, ULL, and Tulane? Yes, I know we played ULL H&H in 14-15 and Tulane in C-USA play in 13, but otherwise we don't.

I've heard various reasons before, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say. It seems like we could have strong crowds for home games against them and get a decent group to travel to them, and I think our students would be much more excited about playing these schools than UMass or South Alabama.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Re: Help a relatively newbie understand...

nothing to gain - too much to lose

Throw ULM out and most Tech fans would be ok with a regular dose of UL-L and Tulane.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techdawg28 View Post
    Why don't we play ULM?
    "There are no real benefits for Louisiana Tech if they played UL-Monroe in a football series again."

http://www.latechreport.com/2016/01/...ouisiana-tech/

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Yawn
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Please don't jump down my throat for asking this, but as a current student I haven't been around Tech athletics for very long and would like to understand the situation.

Why don't we play ULM, ULL, and Tulane? Yes, I know we played ULL H&H in 14-15 and Tulane in C-USA play in 13, but otherwise we don't.

I've heard various reasons before, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say. It seems like we could have strong crowds for home games against them and get a decent group to travel to them, and I think our students would be much more excited about playing these schools than UMass or South Alabama.
    ULM - Do you want to watch football in that dump at ULM? I would support playing the WarChickens if all games are in Ruston.

See those stands, it's pretty horrible.

11866446_406043849606055_2178525253124472817_n.jpg

Varsity Bulldog techdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud of techdawg28's Avatar

Ok so no to ULM. Got it.

As for ULL and Tulane. I've heard that Tulane doesn't want to play us and that we (the athletic dept) don't want to play ULL. Is there truth to those statements?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Ok so no to ULM. Got it.

As for ULL and Tulane. I've heard that Tulane doesn't want to play us and that we (the athletic dept) don't want to play ULL. Is there truth to those statements?
    Tulane refuses to play us in football and MBB because they know we are better. Tulane's former AD basically told BVDV their future schedules were full for the next 20 years.

We just played a H&H with ULL in 2014 and 2015. We played a H&H with ULL last decade, too (2003 and 2004 I think). It's something we'll probably schedule once per decade but not something we want to schedule every year because there's really not much in it for us. We've beat them down 8 straight times. Lose to the Leopards once, and we'll never hear the end of it. We just need to beat them down a couple times every decade to shut them up for a few hours. With 2 P5 games and 1 FCS game every year to make our finances and schedules work, that only leaves 1 opening for H&H each year. That's only 5 H&H series over a decade. We've got home games with Baylor and Mississippi State on our future schedules. In the past we've had home games vs. Houston, Southern Miss, Navy, Army, UNLV, Rice, Oklahoma State, Cal, Miami, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Baylor, etc. There's no good reason for us to give up games like that to play ULL every year when we have better options to advance our program.

Tech moved on from the desire to play the UL-U-Pick-Em games long ago, but the ULXs haven't.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Tulane refuses to play us in football and MBB because they know we are better. Tulane's former AD basically told BVDV their future schedules were full for the next 20 years.

We just played a H&H with ULL in 2014 and 2015. We played a H&H with ULL last decade, too (2003 and 2004 I think). It's something we'll probably schedule once per decade but not something we want to schedule every year because there's really not much in it for us. We've beat them down 8 straight times. Lose to the Leopards once, and we'll never hear the end of it. We just need to beat them down a couple times every decade to shut them up for a few hours. With 2 P5 games and 1 FCS game every year to make our finances and schedules work, that only leaves 1 opening for H&H each year. That's only 5 H&H series over a decade. We've got home games with Baylor and Mississippi State on our future schedules. In the past we've had home games vs. Houston, Southern Miss, Navy, Army, UNLV, Rice, Oklahoma State, Cal, Miami, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Baylor, etc. There's no good reason for us to give up games like that to play ULL every year when we have better options to advance our program.

Tech moved on from the desire to play the UL-U-Pick-Em games long ago, but the ULXs haven't.
    Yup, and we beat them even when they are cheating (regarding their recruiting violations).

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Tulane sees themselves as the #2 in the state. We have never beaten them in Football and that is something they would like to hold on to. If they played any sort of regular series with us they would likely lose more than they won. They have tons of money are in a superior conference and have tons of academic prestige. They don't feel the need to play us as their conference and undefeated record against us speak for themselves.

Lafayette sees themselves as the #2 in the state. We have beaten them repeatedly in Football althought they believe it is a fluke. They believe that if they played any sort of regular series with us they would win more than they lose and prove their rightful place in the state hierarchy. They desperately want to prove they are superior to us. They are happy to play us as any win would be a big boost to their claim as the # 2 program in the state and would help awaken the sleeping giant that they are.

Monroe sees themselves as Lafayette and Techs equal and a potential #2 in the state. We have dominated them in football but if we played a regular series anything can happen. Their fans have little interest in the program but playing and possibly beating Tech could be just the boost their fanbase needs to renew interest in the program. They would be happy to play us as it would help legitimize them as our equal.

Tech sees itself as the #2 in the state. We would be happy to prove it against Tulane and of the instate schools it is the series we covet the most. Their 9-0 record against us only includes 2 games in recent history ( I think 2 games since WW2 if I remember correctly) one of which was during the best year in Tulane history- their undefeated 1998 campaign. Tulane is the only of the three Tech would willingly associate with.
    ULL had built up a string of bowl victories that had many people (myself included) thinking they were a legit threat. Since our 2 game series with them it has been mostly downhill for the cajuns. It has at least made them question the idea that they are #2 in the state and question just how awesome their super coach is. I thought our series with them was a mistake, but having won both games convincingly I was clearly wrong.
    ULM is struggling as a program right now. Beating them in football would do nothing for us. Losing to them would help them out tremendously but is pretty unlikely. Just playing them would help them out quite a bit for generating fan interest. We have offered to play them, but they have demanded the first game be in Monroe as the first game of the series would generate a lot of local interest that they want to capitalize on. The four game series we played with them last time showed declining numbers for each game after the first and that would likely be the case again.

Big Dog Terence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of light Terence32's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    ULM - Do you want to watch football in that dump at ULM? I would support playing the WarChickens if all games are in Ruston.

See those stands, it's pretty horrible.

Attachment 13939

Are those stadium suites bahahahahahahahah

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    Tulane sees themselves as the #2 in the state. We have never beaten them in Football and that is something they would like to hold on to. If they played any sort of regular series with us they would likely lose more than they won. They have tons of money are in a superior conference and have tons of academic prestige. They don't feel the need to play us as their conference and undefeated record against us speak for themselves.

Tech sees itself as the #2 in the state. We would be happy to prove it against Tulane and of the instate schools it is the series we covet the most. Their 9-0 record against us only includes 2 games in recent history ( I think 2 games since WW2 if I remember correctly) one of which was during the best year in Tulane history- their undefeated 1998 campaign. Tulane is the only of the three Tech would willingly associate with.
    I was stunned to find out this fact, and it make the 2013 regression/dive so much more painful for me. Yes, before 1998, we played 6/7 games in New Orleans, in 1936, 1923-26, 1911 (Ruston), and 1904. Closest games were in 1923 (13-7), 1936 (22-13), & 2013 (24-15). Other games were pretty lopsided in Tulame's favor.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Tulane's former AD basically told BVDV their future schedules were full for the next 20 years.
    And then they turn around and schedule Monroe.

Varsity Bulldog Docman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I was stunned to find out this fact, and it make the 2013 regression/dive so much more painful for me. Yes, before 1998, we played 6/7 games in New Orleans, in 1936, 1923-26, 1911 (Ruston), and 1904. Closest games were in 1923 (13-7), 1936 (22-13), & 2013 (24-15). Other games were pretty lopsided in Tulame's favor.
    Got to remember Tulane was part of the Southeastern Conference and playing with the big boys. They had all the advantages of name and status against us.

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post

Lafayette sees themselves as the #2 in the state. We have beaten them repeatedly in Football althought they believe it is a fluke. They believe that if they played any sort of regular series with us they would win more than they lose and prove their rightful place in the state hierarchy. They desperately want to prove they are superior to us. They are happy to play us as any win would be a big boost to their claim as the # 2 program in the state and would help awaken the sleeping giant that they are.

Monroe sees themselves as Lafayette and Techs equal and a potential #2 in the state. We have dominated them in football but if we played a regular series anything can happen. Their fans have little interest in the program but playing and possibly beating Tech could be just the boost their fanbase needs to renew interest in the program. They would be happy to play us as it would help legitimize them as our equal.

ULL had built up a string of bowl victories that had many people (myself included) thinking they were a legit threat. Since our 2 game series with them it has been mostly downhill for the cajuns. It has at least made them question the idea that they are #2 in the state and question just how awesome their super coach is. I thought our series with them was a mistake, but having won both games convincingly I was clearly wrong.
    ULM is struggling as a program right now. Beating them in football would do nothing for us. Losing to them would help them out tremendously but is pretty unlikely. Just playing them would help them out quite a bit for generating fan interest. We have offered to play them, but they have demanded the first game be in Monroe as the first game of the series would generate a lot of local interest that they want to capitalize on. The four game series we played with them last time showed declining numbers for each game after the first and that would likely be the case again.
    Thanks! Everything you (and everyone else I didn't quote) said makes sense.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Docman5 View Post
    Got to remember Tulane was part of the Southeastern Conference and playing with the big boys. They had all the advantages of name and status against us.
    I'd known that, but we still beat the other in-state SEC school at the time (LSU in 1904), so I'd assumed we had beaten Tulame as well.

+ Reply to Thread