+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Grilling

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Grilling

I did a couple of NY Strips Saturday night using reverse sear, for the first time, on my Webber grill. Used two bricks to separate the direct/indirect zones. Also the bricks can be moved to get charcoal level where you want it to be from the rack & make a flat bed of coals. Left a gap between the bricks for airflow & heat transfer. Had coals about 2" under rack. Two handfuls of water soaked hickory chips for smoke.

Took steaks up to 120 F on indirect side with lid on. Turned & checked temp every 3 minutes with thermo-pen thermometer. Then move them to the direct side & no lid. Had to turn very regularly because of the heat intensity. When they reached 133 put a pat of butter on each side for final turn.

The good: the most evenly cooked medium rare steaks I have ever done. No zoning of doneness! Now I wish I had a photo, but the cross section was medium rare from top to bottom.

The not so good: the intense heat caused the fat rind on the back side to contract. More so on one steak than the other causing the steak to start to deform. Used a knife to cut the rind but hated to have to do it. Also, didn't quite get the sear I was going for.

What I'll do different next time. Lower the coal bed another inch. On the indirect side wait longer between turns. 4 or so minutes. Move to direct zone @ 115 F, maybe 110 F. Finally, put butter on when I move to direct side and maybe apply an additional time or two.

The steaks were from Tech farm so were good cuts and nicely marbled for NY's. Inch think. Marinated in soy sauce for an hour
    Last edited by tenacious_dog; 06-20-2016 at 08:16 AM.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Wow! How long does that take?
    You can bring a 1-inch thick steak (depending on the cut) up to whatever degree of doneness (internal temp.) you want in about an hour or so. Then you can just leave it alone for maybe three or four hours and it will never get any more done. This is great. I had some folks over for sous vide steaks one night and they phoned and said they were going to be delayed by an hour or so. No problem. Just waited until they got there to pull them and sear them. Still medium rare, edge to edge.

Lots of sous vide apparatus out there, both personal and commercial. I use Anova.

http://anovaculinary.com/anova-preci...tbCxoCT-_w_wcB

You can google for recipes.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ooking%20times

I've read that most of your high-end steak houses use commercial sous vide machines. I can understand why.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    I did a couple of NY Strips Saturday night using reverse sear, for the first time, on my Webber grill. Used two bricks to separate the direct/indirect zones. Also the bricks can be moved to get charcoal level where you want it to be from the rack & make a flat bed of coals. Left a gap between the bricks for airflow & heat transfer. Had coals about 2" under rack. Two handfuls of water soaked hickory chips for smoke.

Took steaks up to 120 F on indirect side with lid on. Turned & checked temp every 3 minutes with thermo-pen thermometer. Then move them to the direct side & no lid. Had to turn very regularly because of the heat intensity. When they reached 133 put a pat of butter on each side for final turn.

The good: the most evenly cooked medium rare steaks I have ever done. No zoning of doneness! Now I wish I had a photo, but the cross section was medium rare from top to bottom.

The not so good: the intense heat caused the fat rind on the back side to contract. More so on one steak than the other causing the steak to start to deform. Used a knife to cut the rind but hated to have to do it. Also, didn't quite get the sear I was going for.

What I'll do different next time. Lower the coal bed another inch. On the indirect side wait longer between turns. 4 or so minutes. Move to direct zone @ 115 F, maybe 110 F. Finally, put butter on when I move to direct side and maybe apply an additional time or two.

The steaks were from Tech farm so were good cuts and nicely marbled for NY's. Inch think. Marinated in soy sauce for an hour
    So many variables, tenacious. That's why I went the sous vide route - predictable and perfect results every time.

Would LOVE to see some pics next time you do yours.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...ium=atlas-page

Seemed the most appropriate thread for this.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Good stuff!
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...ium=atlas-page

Seemed the most appropriate thread for this.
    man's greatest invention...

Dang.

I knew DFM loves using parchment paper but I had no idea he was doing cooking videos these days. What's with the "assumed name", DFM ??

How'd you come up with "Chef Doug" ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCDOpVyh4Pk

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Ha!
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Was thinking about tailgating kicking off around here shortly, so found myself craving a sausage sammich for supper.
    Maybe with some peppers and onions and cheese.

tg1.jpg tg2.jpgtg3.jpgtg4.jpg

Yup.
    Easy Said, Easy Done.

tg5.jpg tg6.jpg tg7.jpg

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I've cooked a many a sausage, but never seen them cooked that way.

Just guessing, it allows the grease to drip out. Looks great!

Thanks, PawDawg. Actually I like to spiral cut 'em to enhance the flavor. Get more smoke plus I baste 'em while they cook, and there's lots more surface area to baste on when you do 'em that way.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

OK, maybe the best two NY Strips I've ever done in my life!

Started with 2 16.4 oz, 1 1/2 inch strips from Tech farm meat lab (thank you Gordon, for such an even thickness cut). Did reverse sear, with steaks off to the side of the coals but still starting basting with butter ever single time I turned. Got them to about 120 F and put them directly over the coals to finish them off. Nice amount of char and grill marks. Pulled them at 130F.

OMG! After the couple of weeks I've had, this was just what the Dr ordered! Now if the Dogs will just finish knocking off NTSU all will be right with the world.

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    OK, maybe the best two NY Strips I've ever done in my life!
    Sounds deserving of some pics.

+ Reply to Thread