+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Oh, What Could Have Been!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Oh, What Could Have Been!

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Again...for the extremely slow-witted out there....Hello HD!

There is no reasonable thing Tech (Reneau) could have offered to keep her here. I say "reasonable" because perhaps if the offer at been $10 million/year guaranteed lifetime contract, she might have stayed. But, staying in the realm of possibility, the offer made was VERY generous. Any tweaks to it...i.e. a guaranteed 5th year upfront...would have evoked another demand. That demand met, and she'd been on to something else as an excuse.

And she had had other opportunities to jump ship and get that bigger paycheck but she passed on them, until the 11th hour when Barmore was retiring and now both parties were facing a pressing deadline to get a deal done. She took the coward's way out. Yes, she had that right, and she exercised it, but she shouldn't be lauded for it. Anymore than, after the fact, people see Benedict Arnold's point of view.
    Thank you! Keeping her for the sake of keeping her means NOTHING to our athletic program. WBB = zero return on investment.

On the other hand, had Reneau not been so obtuse, we would have kept T.J Eagles for many more years. That's where we would have gotten a great ROI.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Chasing the Techster ghost is as worthless as chasing Elvis. Its done and none of the current Tech sports fans care. One all conference (weak conference at that) player. I would rather dream of winning the Powerball, more realistic that "what could have been". We better up our investment in women's basketball if we ever want to get anywhere close to "what could have been"

All-Conference USA First Team (9)
    Kierra Anthony, Louisiana Tech
    Shayna Gore, Marshall
    A'Queen Hayes, Middle Tennessee
    Terriell Bradley, North Texas
    Erica Ogwumike, Rice
    Nancy Mulkey, Rice
    Shonte Hailes, Southern Miss
    Rachael Childress, UAB
    Dee Givens, WKU

All-Conference USA Second Team (8)
    Laia Raventós, Charlotte
    Alex Johnson, Middle Tennessee
    Victoria Morris, Old Dominion
    Nicole Iademarco, Rice
    Deanna Kuzmanic, UAB
    Miyah Barnes, UAB
    Marie Benson, UTSA
    Raneem Elgedawy, WKU

C-USA All-Freshman Team (5)
    Jazmin Harris, Charlotte
    Ce'Nara Skanes, FIU
    Taylor Sutton, Middle Tennessee
    Ajah Wayne, Old Dominion
    Meral Abdelgawad, WKU

C-USA All-Defensive Team (5)
    Laia Raventós, Charlotte
    Anisha George, North Texas
    Nancy Mulkey, Rice
    Ajah Wayne, Old Dominion
    Dee Givens, WKU

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I hate to say it, there is no good reason to up our investment.

There's probably not even a reason for Baylor and UConn to have the investments they do. Those aren't investments, because investments bring in money.

They can "invest" in their programs because they bring in more money from other sources in a year than Tech has in its entire history. With those pockets, you can spend on all sorts of things.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    .....you keep going "through this annually"because Kim Mulkey keeps winning national championships and Big XII titles. Meanwhile, your Lady Techster program is a dumpster fire. It's not a stretch to say the "Mulkey non-hiring mistake" by Louisiana Tech's leadership is probably the single worst hiring mistake in the annals of Women's basketball history. Literately nothing tops it in women's basketball history.

How quickly some forget about Tyler Summitt.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

There is no reasonable thing Tech (Reneau) could have offered to keep her here. I say "reasonable" because perhaps if the offer at been $10 million/year guaranteed lifetime contract, she might have stayed. But, staying in the realm of possibility, the offer made was VERY generous. Any tweaks to it...i.e. a guaranteed 5th year upfront...would have evoked another demand. That demand met, and she'd been on to something else as an excuse.

And she had had other opportunities to jump ship and get that bigger paycheck but she passed on them, until the 11th hour when Barmore was retiring and now both parties were facing a pressing deadline to get a deal done. She took the coward's way out. Yes, she had that right, and she exercised it, but she shouldn't be lauded for it. Anymore than, after the fact, people see Benedict Arnold's point of view.
    Typical response from a brain dead excuse mongerer. I give you the FACTS in post #133, and you respond with excuses and conjecture.

Dawg80:

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    How quickly some forget about Tyler Summitt.
    Tyler Summit hasn't been forgotten. However, that's another Apples and Oranges comparison. Summit was a short term liability. I knew he was a bad hire the day we hired him. And I said so on this board. But Summit never won anything, so LA Tech never missed any real opportunities with him. But with Mulkey....we missed a lot of opportunities.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Thank you! Keeping her for the sake of keeping her means NOTHING to our athletic program. WBB = zero return on investment.
    Not singling you out, just wanted to use that ROIC line.

In college athletics what is considered a return on investment? Is the DAC a return on investment? Genuinely curious.

I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread that only MBB and football make money (paraphrase). If we eliminate all sports except MBB and football are we now in the black? Is the point of college athletics to make money? I don't know but if so there's a whole lot of universities doing it wrong.

Did you know that Stanford's WBB program generated over $21 million in revenue a year or two ago? Isn't that almost what our total budget is? I know it's not fair to compare us to a school like that but we should at least be able to generate as much as SMU's WBB team, which is about $3.5 million. Does our MBB generate that much? How about football, I don't know?

I don't have a point but if I did it would be that a well run (WBB) department should generate enough revenue to pay it's share of the budget.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Typical response from a brain dead excuse mongerer. I give you the FACTS in post #133, and you respond with excuses and conjecture.

Dawg80:

Post #133 supports my contention. pigtails had no reason to leave, as YOU said, the program was on solid ground, therefore, after winning 30+ games in her first year as HC Reneau would have extended her contract by the additional one year. But that was NEVER pigtails' concern.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Wade_Antley View Post
    Is the point of college athletics to make money? I don't know but if so there's a whole lot of universities doing it wrong.
    Title IX prevents universities from acting according to best business principles.

That is very interesting about Stanford, though. Their endowment is a number we can't even comprehend, though. 21M is a rounding error.

I tend to agree about a well-run department, but Title IX and general watchability would make that a really tough job.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

So, we bragged about being a tier one research university for years. We have had success in MBB, WBB, and Football in the past. Enrollment numbers have been increasing, yet we struggle to improve attendance figures at athletic events. We continually piss off long time supporters and fail to attract new one’s. Seems to me we should at least be able to research the problem!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

.....you keep going "through this annually"because Kim Mulkey keeps winning national championships and Big XII titles. Meanwhile, your Lady Techster program is a dumpster fire. It's not a stretch to say the "Mulkey non-hiring mistake" by Louisiana Tech's leadership is probably the single worst hiring mistake in the annals of Women's basketball history. Literately nothing tops it in women's basketball history.

I gave her props for what she has done at Baylor. She is a winner, like I stated in my post. I just could care less about Baylor. Yes, we would have stayed winners with her - I didn't argue that point at all. She left and I still hope we can get out of this mediocracy that we are in now. I love Louisiana Tech - not concerned with other teams that are winning National Championships. WE need to get back there and it is still possible to be a perennial top 20 team in WBB, if we do what WE need to do.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    So, we bragged about being a tier one research university for years. We have had success in MBB, WBB, and Football in the past. Enrollment numbers have been increasing, yet we struggle to improve attendance figures at athletic events. We continually piss off long time supporters and fail to attract new one’s. Seems to me we should at least be able to research the problem!
    Yeah...

but as for this matter, I REFUSE to allow lies to impugn my alma mater, and Dr. Reneau, who made pigtails a very generous offer only to have her shit all over Tech.

Like Champ posted, I have never said she was not a good player or is not a good coach. But perhaps that only makes this mess all the worse. As I have posted, Benedict Arnold was a GREAT general and leader! His betrayal was made even worse because of that.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah...

but as for this matter, I REFUSE to allow lies to impugn my alma mater, and Dr. Reneau, who made pigtails a very generous offer only to have her shit all over Tech.

Like Champ posted, I have never said she was not a good player or is not a good coach. But perhaps that only makes this mess all the worse. As I have posted, Benedict Arnold was a GREAT general and leader! His betrayal was made even worse because of that.
    I agree wholeheartedly!!!!

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    One needs not research, only observe. Problem is evident without any leg work.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I gave her props for what she has done at Baylor. She is a winner, like I stated in my post. I just could care less about Baylor. Yes, we would have stayed winners with her - I didn't argue that point at all. She left and I still hope we can get out of this mediocracy that we are in now. I love Louisiana Tech - not concerned with other teams that are winning National Championships. WE need to get back there and it is still possible to be a perennial top 20 team in WBB, if we do what WE need to do.
    For the LOVE OF GOD people, if you people are going to use this phrase, at least get it right: It's "I couldn't care less"......it's not "I COULD care less". To say you COULD care less, is another way of stating that you actually DO care. So, if you really DON'T care, please say you couldn't care less.

Geez people, you are LOUISIANA TECH grads. Act like it, for a change.

+ Reply to Thread