+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: Spoon

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: Spoon

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Why must there be a reason that we are here. That is a big assumption.
    If there's no reason we are here, then there is no reason for anything we do.

You got up this morning, right?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Why must there be a reason that we are here.
    Join the crowd. I keep asking myself....why is this guy "Guisslapp" even here? He's a real party pooper. Shouldn't he be out teaching a high school science class somewhere?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Cause and reason are two separate things.
    So, philosophically, you see no reason in anything apart from humanity?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    If there's no reason we are here, then there is no reason for anything we do.

You got up this morning, right?
    Yeah, because I wanted to. Everything we do we do for our own personal reasons.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Yeah, because I wanted to. Everything we do we do for our own personal reasons.
    Then that would be a reason. And it is from the amalgam of all the personal reasons that humans employ continuously that we MAY (not must) induce a larger reason for our existence.

But if there is no Reason, then there are no reasons. (And no choice, no volition, no responsibility, no justice, and no love or friendship.). But if there are reasons, then there just might be a Reason.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

What do our human reasons have to do with it? How is that fact that we have human reasons suggest a supernatural reason?

What do our human reasons have to do with it? How is that fact that we have human reasons suggest a supernatural reason?
    Lacking a reason for human persons to exist, then there is no reason for humans to have personal reasons.

You got out of bed for personal reasons. But with no underlying reason to exist, then there's no reason to even have those personal reasons. And a reason without a reason for having that reason is, definitionally, not a reason.

Reason, and reasons, are predicated on underlying premise. With no underlying premise (ie. reason for existence or an intrinsic value of human life) then there are no personal reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Lacking a reason for human persons to exist, then there is no reason for humans to have personal reasons.

You got out of bed for personal reasons. But with no underlying reason to exist, then there's no reason to even have those personal reasons. And a reason without a reason for having that reason is, definitionally, not a reason.

Reason, and reasons, are predicated on underlying premise. With no underlying premise (ie. reason for existence or an intrinsic value of human life) then there are no personal reasons.
    That is an enormous leap and you are talking in circles.

We are biological creatures with an evolved brain (well most of us) that allows us to engage in levels of cognition beyond instinctual reactions. Specifically, we have the capacity to engage in long term planning - instead of spending all our cash on hookers and blow, we can set some aside for a rainy day. Just one example.

Those humans that did not possess this innate trait were at an evolutionary disadvantage, as were those that feel like they have no personal reason or desire to live.

You are confusing intrinsic worth of other humans with self worth. Self worth is what it am talking about. It is not intrinsic in the sense that "all people are of equal value to me", but most people have it (I assume) otherwise more people would be jumping off tall buildings. This feeling of self worth can be as small as "I really don't want to die" or as great as Obama's ego.

Most creatures instinctually have this - this motivation to keep doing the things that they do to stay alive, at least until they reproduce. Those that don't, well they don't pass their genes on. Now humans are perfectly capable of learning to appreciate that there is no greater supernatural meaning to life (I doubt other animals ever consider such things anyway, and they manage to keep on keeping on), but that doesn't mean that their own life is not worth it to them.

One option is that individuals can realize that there is no larger purpose for being. Under such circumstances, you can pick a purpose or you can just go crawl in a hole and die. I have a preference for living (like most animals), at least right now and my current state of health. Given that I would prefer to stay alive and with a quality of life that keeps me feeling that way, I have a personal reason.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I gave up a long time ago really caring what atheists think. It is written: two men are standing in a field, one is taken, the other is not. No amount of trying is going to save the one left behind. It will happen that way.

However, as it affects our social fabric, I do care that atheists disrupt traditions. Why do they care if the 10 Commandments are posted somewhere? Why do they care if there is a Nativity Scene set up somewhere? Supposedly they don't believe in any of it, so why should it bother them. You don't see atheists protesting Santa Claus. Many public entities, heck, the City of Natchitoches on taxpayer dollars, hosts a Santa house, and the Christmas Festival is mostly funded by "public" dollars too.

I don't believe UFOs have visited Earth. I scoff at the theories of "ancient astronauts." But, I don't try to prevent those "believers" from having their TV shows on the topic, or whatever. Same can be said for Bigfoot and other such things.

Nope! it's not a case of "live and let live" with atheists. It is a political agenda designed to wreck the very fabric of decent society, to bring on chaos....create "crisis" whereby gov-mint can come to the rescue. And, it's the work of Satan....

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

BTW, this thread should be moved out of this forum. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I gave up a long time ago really caring what atheists think. It is written: two men are standing in a field, one is taken, the other is not. No amount of trying is going to save the one left behind. It will happen that way.

However, as it affects our social fabric, I do care that atheists disrupt traditions. Why do they care if the 10 Commandments are posted somewhere? Why do they care if there is a Nativity Scene set up somewhere? Supposedly they don't believe in any of it, so why should it bother them. You don't see atheists protesting Santa Claus. Many public entities, heck, the City of Natchitoches on taxpayer dollars, hosts a Santa house, and the Christmas Festival is mostly funded by "public" dollars too.

I don't believe UFOs have visited Earth. I scoff at the theories of "ancient astronauts." But, I don't try to prevent those "believers" from having their TV shows on the topic, or whatever. Same can be said for Bigfoot and other such things.

Nope! it's not a case of "live and let live" with atheists. It is a political agenda designed to wreck the very fabric of decent society, to bring on chaos....create "crisis" whereby gov-mint can come to the rescue. And, it's the work of Satan....
    I care not whether you put up the 10 commandments or a nativity scene or if you believe or not believe in any of the thousands of gods invented by men.

The government shouldn't be in the business of promoting religion, however.

Champ mikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond repute mikedog's Avatar

The government shouldn't be in the business of promoting or discouraging religion, however.
    See edit.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedog View Post
    See edit.
    I am fine with that.

That is an enormous leap and you are talking in circles.
    I can see how it may appear that way. But to me, the existence of God, the meaning of life, and foundation of human reason and logic, are all inextricable.

We may have to disagree on premise. I cannot separate the meaning of personal reasons from the meaning of life anymore than I could separate the flour from a biscuit.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I gave up a long time ago really caring what atheists think....
    I care what atheists believe because I care about atheists.

+ Reply to Thread