+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: On campus today

Varsity Bulldog ETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of light ETxBullDawg's Avatar

Re: On campus today

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    See, I think those are an important part of the campus. They speak to their time. Not just at Tech, but in America ... of the Baby Boom, suburbanization, the GI Bill, the interstate system, Civil Rights, the Cold War, widespread ownership of televisions & automobiles, Mid-Century design, etc.

I'd submit that wholesale replacement of the buildings from an entire era represents a disservice to future generations.

Rehab, adapt, & retrofit them, yes.
    I guess that is what is great about America, you have your opinion and I have mine and neither one of us will 100% get our way. I am not sure the buildings you support are salvageable, built on the cheap unlike Bogard and others that were built to last. Heck even Wyly Tower, built in the late 60's- early 70's, has to be replaced due to materials and methods.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETxBullDawg View Post
    I guess that is what is great about America, you have your opinion and I have mine and neither one of us will 100% get our way..
    No, sillyhead -- that's not how it works.

One of us must be completely right, and other one must be stupid/crazy/ignorant/biased/hater/corrupt/terrorist.

Honestly, are you new here?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I agree with wanting to keep our beautiful red brick buildings. I like the look of an old historic university. I am not against building new and no one would deny all the new buildings are nice, but why not update the older ones and build the new ones to match? I am not talking about the ones that came along under F.J. Those did not blend in at all.

Renovate buildings like this and build new ones (with modern interiors) to match. They did a great job with the clock tower!

I agree with you. They did a great job rennovating/rebuilding Hale Hall too. Love the old classic architecture look. It fits right in, and should for a long, long time.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I like the old, traditional architecture style. Like Hale Hall. Tech's campus is taking on a too modern look. Frank Lloyd Wright would like some of the look, but I don't care for it at all.

I like this:

Don't care for this:

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

And I really like this:

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

What sign?

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

University Hall is perfect examplet of a renovated classic building. It is great.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

No, sillyhead -- that's not how it works.

One of us must be completely right, and other one must be stupid/crazy/ignorant/biased/hater/corrupt/terrorist.

Honestly, are you new here?

You forgot gay and uniballist.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

See, I think those are an important part of the campus. They speak to their time. Not just at Tech, but in America ... of the Baby Boom, suburbanization, the GI Bill, the interstate system, Civil Rights, the Cold War, widespread ownership of televisions & automobiles, Mid-Century design, etc.

I'd submit that wholesale replacement of the buildings from an entire era represents a disservice to future generations.

Rehab, adapt, & retrofit them, yes.
    I actually agree, but Im not sure if its possible to do this thanks to the deferred maintenance. The time to refresh your coolant level is not after your engine overheats and blows a rod.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Nethken and Mitchell would be fine with a little TLC. My biggest beef with Nethken is the small bathrooms and the stairwell smelling bad. Some people say its halls aesthetically look like a bathroom (tile walls).
    Mitchell doesnt look aweful from the outside. It isnt bad inside. Redo the bathrooms and refit the rooms with better stuff. The only complaint I have of it is the air system (Off in winter quarter).

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I actually agree, but Im not sure if its possible to do this thanks to the deferred maintenance. The time to refresh your coolant level is not after your engine overheats and blows a rod.
    Wow! Very profound and applicable to many things in today's America.

Varsity Bulldog ETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of light ETxBullDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    Nethken and Mitchell would be fine with a little TLC. My biggest beef with Nethken is the small bathrooms and the stairwell smelling bad. Some people say its halls aesthetically look like a bathroom (tile walls).
    Mitchell doesnt look aweful from the outside. It isnt bad inside. Redo the bathrooms and refit the rooms with better stuff. The only complaint I have of it is the air system (Off in winter quarter).
    Nethken has same problem as CT in that crap is stacked in all the hallways and yes you feel like your are in a restroom the entire time you are in the building. Walked in there last summer and had a total flashback to the early 80's as nothing has changed, same tile everywhere, other than they have changed to tables in the rooms instead of desks. Functionally, it probably has more years left in it. However, the building exterior doesn't coordinate architecturally with Bogard and the new engineering building (if it every gets built).

Quote Originally Posted by ETxBullDawg View Post
    Nethken has same problem as CT in that crap is stacked in all the hallways and yes you feel like your are in a restroom the entire time you are in the building. Walked in there last summer and had a total flashback to the early 80's as nothing has changed, same tile everywhere, other than they have changed to tables in the rooms instead of desks. Functionally, it probably has more years left in it. However, the building exterior doesn't coordinate architecturally with Bogard and the new engineering building (if it every gets built).
    I agree the exterior doesn't fit, but we arent going to scrap a good building (if its good, idk) just because its not as pretty to look at as another one... but gosh, this tile is atrocious.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Yep. Nethken and Carson-Taylor are like giant public restrooms with classrooms.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

The buildings from the FJT era are utilitarian. As champ says, there is value to preserving some of that.

However, the deferred maintenance and construction quality have doomed a couple of them. Nielsen and Caruthers were never intended to last 60 years, and were rightfully razed. I think all the residence halls left from that era have to go.

I my personal vote would be for GTM and Woodard hall to be remodeled (interior). It would likely be the cheapest and most bang for the buck.

+ Reply to Thread